Model Kit Suggestions

First of all, I am sorry to asking you about something that probably discussed here before but I couldn’t find exact answers by search engine. So I will buy a brand new airbrush and want to build a few Russian planes in 1:48 scale. (I have done in 1:72 until today) I want to buy the best kits out there for Su-27, Mig-29, and Mig-21. What are your suggestions? If you have time, additional information about "after market" pieces will be welcomed, too :thumbsup:

Depending how far down the accuracy road you want to go, I hear (From everybody) that the cockpits for both the Academy Flanker and Fulcrum are too shallow. If you're going to keep the lid (Canopy) down, then maybe you would be satisfied with the kit pit, but popped open would really benefit from a new cockpit set. I also understand that both kits would benefit from AM exhausts.

I hear the Aires Fulcrum pit is good (Got one, but haven't even cracked the box yet).

And Alex is right about Academy being the kits to get . . . there are essentially no options for the Flanker (I believe there's a knock-off available) . . . Monogram came out with a Fulcrum some years ago, but I believe it was based on sketchy research, mostly not-so-revealing photos obtained when an early MiG-29 unit participated in an exchange visit with Finland. Revell released a 1/48 MiG-21 many years ago, an early version with the clamshell canopy, but I can't comment on it's accuracy.

A click on the Gallaries link on the ARC homepage will reveal several of these models.

Hi!: For MiG-29 and Flanker, Academy are the best in business, for the MiG-21 you have the Academy kit and the OEZ/ESCI kit(the latter is more complicated to build, but you can choose from 3 diffrent versions (SMK, MF and Bis)

As FAr as compressors go you can run the gambit I have a 2HP 6gal compressor, you'll want a AFR(air flow reguulator) and a moisture trap.

As far as airbrushes I have a Paasche VL and an Itawa Revolution and love them both. and you get a million different answers to this question.

Charles

Edited by wardog1

I will build the following so I need your ideas about colors. I think to use Model master standard gloss black and whites but as far as I know there is no such thing as gloss blue. Which blue do you suggest and do you thing the standard gloss colors are ok or shoul I use different ones?

tambov2006117da9.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Paasche D-500 is a good compressor and both Badger and Testors also make some good baseline models as well. I used a tiny Badger unit for many years before I upgraded to an Iwata Smart Jet Compressor with a pressure gauge, moisture trap and an auto shutoff feature once the compressor reached its target tank pressure (it only runs when the trigger on the airbrush is depressed). The main reason I upgraded was that I moved into a room that was underground and humidity became a problem with moisture getting in my airline. After pricing out how much it would be to get a pressure gauge/moisture trap for my old Badger unit, I decided that a new compressor with those features built in wouldn't cost that much more, so I took the plunge and I've been happy ever since.

As for the airbrush I use, I went for many years with a Paasche H series single action/external mix airbrush. For most modeling work, a single action unit works just fine considering we use masks for most of our work. About 8 years ago, I upgraded to a Testors Aztek 470. The unit I got came with practically every tip, color cup and bottle available for only $99.00. The reason I selected it was I wanted some double action flexibility, but still wanted the durability to be on par with that of my Paasche H and the Aztek provided both of those. Many traditional airbrush purists don't like them that much since their design is a bit different compared to a standard double action brush design like a Paasche VL or Badger Crescendo and indeed some of those brushes can shoot extremely fine lines. But at the same time too, I am not using my brush to spray T-shirts either as I still use masks for the majority of my paint work. I do admit I had some minor problems with my Aztek, but it sprays a lot better since I got the Iwata compressor to pair up with it.

thanks for suggestions, actualy I live in US and I have two wal-marts close to me but I've never see any compressors in both of the stores. I'll search online. For the airbrush I think I am going to buy Aztek 470. But, yet to decide, I am a beginner so it is really hard to me select one among many:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...