In progress - Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.Va

G'day guys.

Here's my latest one in progress - the 1/48 Eduard Albatros DVa. Some of you may have built this kit and know how nice it is. I have finished the interior so far - whilst out of the box it is quite comprehensive, I still found room to make improvements (using the NASM's excellent book on the Albatros DVa they restored as a primary reference).

First I started with the engine. I added various wiring using fine wire and rocker arm springs (2 per cylinder) from fine wire wrapped around a pin. The oil tank on the stbd side of the engine was added from scrap plastic sanded to shape, and other details were added.

Before painting, showing the modifications, and after painting:

d501.jpgd502.jpgd506.jpgd507.jpg

The biggest area for improvement of Eduard's interior is the area between the cockpit firewall and the rear of the engine. Having built Eduard's Albatros DIII, I know this area is visible under the Spandau MG's on the completed model and looks very odd if left empty, so I added some details. Firstly, I scratchbuilt the main and reserve fuel tank from scrap plastic, and added some basic machine gun bearer details onto the firewall.

d503.jpg

I later added some wiring and plumbing again using the NASM book as a main reference.

The cockpit itself required very little modification. Firstly I made a cushion for the seat from Tamyia putty. I added foot straps and control horns to the rudder bar, and rigged the controls using stretched elastic, run through holes drilled through the bulkheads. I added the throttle to the pt side of the control column and added the throttle control wire. I also added wires from the triggers to the gun locations. Other minor details were added from scrap plastic and various other bits. The rest was OOB.

d508.jpgd513.jpg

d510.jpgd509.jpg

Wiring was added to the side walls from fuse wire and solder. Here you can see the attempt at wood grain, which was done using oils. I tried to keep the grain very subtle - in 1/48 all you will really notice is slight changes in tone as opposed to seeing individual grains.

d516.jpg

Here's the whole thing together in the fuselage.

d514.jpg

Now that troublesome area behind the engine will look busy once the Spandau's are on.

d517.jpg

Next is onto major construction... I still have no idea what scheme I am going to paint this thing in... All comments / criticisms welcome!!

BC

Really excellent work Brad - most impressive.

I've just picked up the 'Double combo' version in 1/72, but having seen the markings options in the kit I may have to get a couple more boxes so I can do all six.

I don't have much experience of Eduard but they seem to be great value for money.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Steve.

Brad that is outstanding work. I have the D-III and the triplane, and have already done the D-V, and you have made vast improvements over the basic kit offerings. I currently have Blue Max's Oefag D-III on the bench that will be White 6, flown by Corporal Keisz, and covered in the Sworl printed fabric.

As far as color schemes, Aeromaster had a nice sheet of various Albatross's. I think there were 5 or 6 aircraft per sheet. You should still be able to find them. Would you mind if I post a link to this build on the WW1 modelers list?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Brad;

Have to say, that is phenomenal scratchbuilding you have done there! Love the engine and cockpit detail. One day, I have to try my hand at one of those Eduard kits!

:blink: :worship:

J.C.

Thanks for the good comments guys!

Mike - feel free to add a link to this thread if you like - I have often entertained the notion of jumping onto the WW1 modelers list web page but the format of the forum really puts me off unfortunately :thumbsup:

BC

Excellent attention to tiny details Brad

Nice to see a WWI plane, I do not know why I always think WWI planes have something special, I love to look at them.

Norbert

"I have often entertained the notion of jumping onto the WW1 modelers list web page but the format of the forum really puts me off unfortunately"

Brad,

A really nice build, great work. I've been on the WWI Modeler's List for sometime now. What about it puts you off? Just wondering.

Warren

Lufbery - the engine is painted very simply - black for the cylinders, Testor's stainless steel for the rest, followed by a wash with dark oil paints!

Warren - I guess I just don't really like the idea of a mailing list - ie having to send e-mails to put up a post. Rather a protracted process IMHO. Plus the mailing list does not let you post pics, and single topics are not displayed as a thread as they are in forums like ARC. To me it just isn't really user friendly, which is the big reason I just don't post there - that said the info on there is quite good if you sit down and sift though it. I'm not saying anything negative about the good folks on there of course, purely a formatting thing and purely just my opinion.

BC

Brad,

Funny, the things about it you find most inconvenient, I find the most attractive. I find having to go to a forum webpage, sign in, sift through various threads, etc. to be time consuming in the extreme, and a real pain. One reason I seldom come here. Different strokes I suppose. Great D,V, I look forward to seeing more.

Warren

Edited by WarrenD
............ not great by any stretch :unsure:

Brad, I don't agree. That plywood effect looks tremendous from what I can tell. The different shades add to the overall interest and the wood grain appears spot-on.

Great job mate. :wave:

:cheers:

Lufbery - the engine is painted very simply - black for the cylinders, Testor's stainless steel for the rest, followed by a wash with dark oil paints!

Thanks! I've been playing with different matallic colors, but I haven't found one that I like. I'll have to try stainless steel.

Regards,

-Drew

Let me know what you think, I am happy-ish with it (too late now), not great by any stretch :unsure:

I have to agree with the others, that looks amazing. If I didn't know it was a plastic kit I'd assume that WAS wood. Very nice job.

Edited by David Walker