Combat Air Museum, Topeka KS

While there will be plenty to do at the convention, I was wondering if anyone had thought to make a trip to The Combat Air Museum in Topeka. I checked out the website to the museum off the KC Convention website and they have some aircraft I wouldn't mind seeing. It looks like it would be around an hour or so drive. I've been fortunate to visit a lot of Museums around the US and this one looks like it might be worth a visit. Anyone interested? Don M.

I volunteer at the museum building some models for them. It's a really fun place, and worth the hour drive. Here's a quick listing of what they have off the top of my head:

F-14A Tomcat

F11F Tiger

F3D Skynight

F9F-5 Panther

Mig-15

Mig-17

F-105 Thud

F-101 Voodoo

F-4D Phantom II

TA-4J Skyhawk

CH-53

There's more, but I can't come up with them right now. We should have directions at Nats. I think I will have them at the Spruebrothers table.

Steve, yes I will have wheels. I'm hijacking the wife's 2006 Impala to do the trip in and I can seat 4 or 5 comfortably, with a trunk as big as a cave for all the camera gear. Right now I'm thinking Friday morning right after breakfast. That would give everyone time to get to the convention, check out the vendors room and model room. Saturday morning would be OK too what ever the majority would be up for.. I'm sure we can get several to convoy with us if need be. I will arrive sometime Wed. afternoon, so I'm pretty open to suggestion. Looking forward to meeting you and all the others here at ARC. Don M.

I did'nt think about the seminars. After I posted about going Friday morning, I remembered that a lot of folks would only be getting there Thursday and might be tough to do a road trip Friday morning. Besides, the Twobobs shindig is Thursday night and a few people might have trouble getting up Friday morning. Saturday morning is OK by me . Don M.

This sounds interesting. I am a 'Folder of Forbes' certificate holder and haven't been back in the area since Forbes closed in '73. I recently tried to find my old base housing place using Google Earth but was unsuccesful.

If there are rides to and from, Saturday would be cool.

Just a heads up, I came thru Kansas going across country and went past the exit for this museum, unfortunately it was too late at night. If memory serves me correctly this section of I-70 is a toll road from KC to Topeka. I know it's only a minimal fee but have some spare change!

Edited by lockheed2004
Just a heads up, I came thru Kansas going across country and went past the exit for this museum, unfortunately it was too late at night. If memory serves me correctly this section of I-70 is a toll road from KC to Topeka. I know it's only a minimal fee but have some spare change!

Yes, it is a toll road between KC and Topeka... runs about $2.00 (or $2.25?) one way.

Steve, yes I will have wheels. I'm hijacking the wife's 2006 Impala to do the trip in and I can seat 4 or 5 comfortably, with a trunk as big as a cave for all the camera gear. Right now I'm thinking Friday morning right after breakfast. That would give everyone time to get to the convention, check out the vendors room and model room. Saturday morning would be OK too what ever the majority would be up for.. I'm sure we can get several to convoy with us if need be. I will arrive sometime Wed. afternoon, so I'm pretty open to suggestion. Looking forward to meeting you and all the others here at ARC. Don M.

you got an extra seat in there? i'd like to squeeze along if u can accomodate it :banana:

I did'nt think about the seminars. After I posted about going Friday morning, I remembered that a lot of folks would only be getting there Thursday and might be tough to do a road trip Friday morning. Besides, the Twobobs shindig is Thursday night and a few people might have trouble getting up Friday morning. Saturday morning is OK by me . Don M.

Don,

Save a seat for me. Breakfast on Saturday morning will be at 8:30 in the hotel......maybe meet in the lobby at 9:30......get to the museum at 10:45 (I'm factoring in a 15 minute delay in the lobby to organize and load up the cars).

Am I correct that it is a 1 hour drive from the hotel to the museum?

Steve B

The ARC Nats schedule does list all times and meeting places.......but if there is any questions.....start a thread in this forum and I'll sort them out. The trick here is being oraganized before we all arrive....then there will be only limited confusion when we arrive. :cheers:

As we get closer.....I'll be working on numbers that will be arriving at the restaurants and we'll see about if making reservations are called for.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/ARC-...ts-Schedule.htm

With a pinch of luck this should run pretty smoothly.

Steve B

Well it looks like we have several interested in going to the museum. If anyone that is driving to the NATS or any of the locals that want to help carpool to the museum either post here or contact me through a PM or email me at dwmkjm@charter.net and we will arrange enough seats for everybody. As far as communicating with each other if you want to send me a message with a contact cell phone number that you can be reached at while you are at the convention, I will compile a list of those interseted in going. Time and location to meet Saturday morning is set. If anyone in the KC area can provide door to door driving directions to and from the museum would be a great help also. I have looked at the maps on the web sites and it really should not be that hard to find. Time is getting REAL short, we'll be in KC, lookout vendors room, here I come!! Don M.