Hobbycraft 1/48 A-4 series

In my opinion, these kits live up to the Hobbycrap label. In general I like Hobbycraft as they do some kits that others won't. But these kits are the last in the line. I think the old ESCI/AMT kit is a better mold. The main gripe I have is in the intakes which are totally wrong. I've started an A-4M and still don't know how I'm going to fix them. I also bought the Argentine kit for 50% the retail just for the decals. Others may feel differently but you could do better by spending a little more. Of course, you do like I did and buy the kit for just the decals and give the rest to a kid. JMHO.

Don

At that price, most certainly. The HC kits are a little harder to build than the Hasegawa kits but at under a fiver, why worry about that?

They are nicely detailed as well.

<_<

MikeJ

OK as a painting exercise, but if you want to make a decent model without excessive grief, scratch-building and aftermarket expenditure, go for the Hasegawa kits.

Cheers,

Chris.

I have built the Hobby craft. Yes its no Hasegawa, but for less then $5!!!!! <_< I would have a few more aggressors on the to do pile for that price.

Intakes and windshield were the worse parts of this kit for me. Not a bad kit.......but there certainly is better.

I've got a Hobbycraft A-4 Skyhawk most of the way done and they aren't really that bad IMHO. The original canopy A-4s have the problem with the main canopy being way too wide and it is very noticeable, so nod goes to Hasegawa there (except for the price). The A-4M and N kits as I understand it have a little problem in the canopy shape department as well, but I can't really see it. They are certainly better then Esci's A-4N effort (which is really an A-4H since it doesn't have the N style canopy on it). The cockpit does need a bit of updating though if you plan to build an A-4M/N with an ARBS bomb site as the instrument panel is a bit different. That control stick is also a bit off (it can be fixed by simply cutting the top off at the hinge point, rotating it 180 degrees and remounting it on the small part of the hub, 5 minute fix with a pin vise).

The decals and the weapons options are the best part of the Hobbycraft kit, plus Hobbycraft has the extended IAF A-4 tailpipe. Hasegawa still doesn't offer the extended tailpipe in their IAF A-4 kits and their blue coloring for the Magen David insignias is way too light. So, even if you don't build the kit, you can scrounge it for those parts and decals to use on a Hasegawa kit (the tailpipe can be made to fit with some effort) as the price is cheaper then what it would be to acquire these from aftermarket sources. But it is indeed buildable. It may not be quite as accurate as the Hasegawa kit and might need a little more TLC, but it is a pretty good kit (even if the kit instructions are a bit on the cryptic side).

Hi!: Well I have 1 A-4M, 2 A-4C and 6 A-4B from Hobbycraft and 1 A-4C from Hasegawa; while Hasegawa has far better cockpit detail, it cost almost the double...Hobbycraft kits have an awesome decal sheet, of excellent quality, fuel tanks are better (only 2 halves instead of Hasegawa 3 or 4 parts), recessed panel lines, they are a good deal for the money, besides the argentine decals are correct in both boxings, it´s up to you, you have to evaluate the cost-finish ratio....if I haven´t enough money, I will buy the Hobbycraft models, you can make 2 A-4 for the price of 1 Hasegawa.....Another adventage is that Hobbycraft kits are provided with a full weapons capabilities (bombs, Sidewinders, rocket launchers).... <_<

For that kind of coin, go for it. They do have their shortcomings but they can be built with a bit of care. The fit of the intakes isn't so hot, fair amount of filling to get them faired in, and the same goes for the wing root 20mm guns. I found the instructions for the cockpit rear bulkhead were way off, and the parts needed to be cut down and reworked a bit to get it done. Otherwise, a very nice little kit at a fraction of the price of the Hasegawa offering. The decals as noted are very good, so are the paint schemes offered.

I have built two of them and have 2 more in my stash.

Sabre