RoG 1/72 MH-53J Pave Low

Juanjo D.s Pave Low motivated me to start my own MH-53J. As you might see from my progress pics of the interior I didn´t put so much effort into detailing as Juanjo did. I usually focus more on completing the model in a short time and also on giving it some "live" by adding crewmembers.

MH53innen3.jpg

The interior now has been made by simply glueing a small sheet toilet-paper (YES, toilet-paper! Not used, of course ; ) on the plastic. If someone is asking: I would say that´s a kind of new kevlar "liner" to secure the crew from small arms fire and shrapnells.

MH53innen1.jpg

The crew so far consist of 2 pilots, 2 minigun-gunners and 2 PJ´s I haven´t glued on their seats so far.

MH53innen2.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

nice nice nice, an other pave low. :(

and where is the crew comming from ? was in the box ?

and if you put crew, there will be some kind of basement ?

I will follow this also (my own model will not go forward :P )

Norbert

The crew is mostly scratchbuilt.

The pilots upper bodys as well as the gunners are of the ex-ESCI, now Italeri ground-crew set. The legs of the pilots are from some Airfix-pilots IIRC. I have a lot of experience in "plastic surgery" so far since there are only a few kits left that come with pilots in the box (and those often look just bad, like the "standard" Airfix pilots.

The PJ´s are made out of Preiser´s excellent "Modern US-Infantry-Set", the ramp-door-gunner will be made also out of some Preiser figures.

Here are some impressions of the preiser figures I used on my MH-6Js:

DELTAs1.jpg

DELTAs2.jpg

Nightfox1.jpg

Nightfox2.jpg

Nightfox5.jpg

And no, I won´t do any basement or diorama for the Pave.

HAJO

Ok, some new pics.

The helo is glued together, did I mention that the colour of the plastic sucks? :blink:

MH53aussen1.jpg

I also added some scratched detail:

MH53aussen3.jpg

On the right side of the dog-house I drilled the intake open and coverd it with some photo-etched parts. I also need to drill out the small openings again after painting.

On the other side:

MH53aussen2.jpg

Also drilled open the little opening. On various pictures of the original aircraft I saw something that I scratchbuilt and can be seen here, it looks like some kind of IR-cover for an APU-exhaust.

The Co-Pilot is holding a map to navigate to the infil-point... :blink:

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

The Pave is painted, now I´m turning to the main rotor. Can anyone tell me what color the blades are on a grey Pave Low?

BTW, I will post pictures later this day.

HAJO

Here come the pictures:

MH53aussen4.jpg

I just thought to give my Pave a name and therefor called it "Night Rider" as you can see here:

MH53aussen5.jpg

The decals are one of the best I´ve ever used, they came off from the paper after only 10 sec., fitted smoothly and without silvering. Obviously I mixed the grey right, since the stencils are really hard to see in contrast to the overall color:

MH53aussen6.jpg

This is one of the views I like most of the Pave Low, a sight that will even improve when the aux. tanks are mounted:

MH53aussen7.jpg

HAJO

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Juano,

You have put out the most detailed bird I have ever seen. I am wrking on the cc conversion for mh-53m 69-5796 could you tell me how you built your seats and you ammo box for your .50cal?If you have any other tips for me any please tell them.Thanks again.

Hajo,

You also have a nice bird Hajo.I a'nt crazy enough to build the 1/72 i havethe revell,and fujimi mh-53j just not completed.

LB

Edited by LITTLE BIRD 117
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Juano,

You have put out the most detailed bird I have ever seen. I am wrking on the cc conversion for mh-53m 69-5796 could you tell me how you built your seats and you ammo box for your .50cal?If you have any other tips for me any please tell them.Thanks again.

LB

Hi mate!

Thanks. Everything (almost) I did with the model is here, just do a search with my nick name at in-progress pics... In addition, there will be a complete article in Modeler Airplane International (number 18-19 issue).