I'm sorry Darren, but that's just plain BS. Over weathered?? Obviously none of the clowns who did the judging have never seen an F-14 up close, or even in a book for that matter. The pannel line issue should have been overlooked due to the entire quality of the build.

Personally, this is why I don't enter contests. The person who may be judging your model may not know the first thing about the a/c you've built and may not give you an accurate judging. I realize IPMS rules are generally in place, i.e.,"judge what's represented" and the rules of seams being filled, smooth finish, alignment, etc, are a given in judging, but to say a model is "over weathered" is just BS. How the hell would they know if a model was over weathered? Are they a former aircrew, maintainer, MMCO? I guess it's going to boil down that we start bringing photographic proof of what we build. But, if we do that, the judges may knock a few points off if we don't weather the model "exactly" like it was in the photo.. :cheers:

Rant off....now I'm off to Staples and the post office.

I had the same thing happen at a regional. I build a model of one of the ANG birds I actually worked on during a deployment to Southern Watch. The judge said it didn't look "right" because it was too grungey for an ANG bird. He said, "they fly around the state and are always well maintained"... boy, the things I thought of saying to him after I picked my jaw up....

that brought home the point that I need to build what I want the way I want it. Dont enter shows much anymore, but enjoying building much more.

Darren's cat is superbly done.

Edited by longmc