Weathering and washes

Ok here is a question about weathering.

After painting, I used future to gloss cote. I let it dry for most of the day and proceeded to weather the aircraft. I must admit that I am new to weathering and that it is still a learning process....but anyway...

I use CMK weathing pigment mixed lightly with water and then applied to the panel lines. The excess is removed by dipping a paper towel in water and rubbing off the excess. However, most of the time I dip the towel in rubbing alchohol and use it to remove the excess wash. I noticed that the rubbing alchohol started to remove the future as well.

Bad day!!! So I repainted the affected area and now I gloss coated the model with testors lacquer glosscote, and I am going to try that route.

Any ideas on weathering and washes.....

Thx

Stop trying to rub off so much in one go. Start at a tip of a wing, wipe ONCE in that area, and move on. Once youve wiped the whole thing, go back over again, ONCE.Keep going over ONCE until youve got it all off This is only for alcohol wiping, and water is better.

I'd suggest not using the alcohol at all. You'll always be taking a chance of damaging your finish. Just use water and I think it will make the process much simpler. As distasteful as it might sound, I use spit. It seems to work great and I've always got a ready supply.

You could also go the other way and stick with Future for your gloos coat and go with an enamel or oil wash thinned and removed with mineral spirits. These won't have any effect on the Future.