Home Made Punch & Die Set

Hi, Really neat idea there and far more economical than the commercial versions.

One suggestion I would have is to make the top sheet clear. That way, if you have to precisely line up the part (such as to punch out the instrument dial locations in a panel) you can see to do it.

But a great idea and beautifully made....thanks for sharing it.

Bob

What a great design!!!!

Do you use the other end of the drill to punch the holes or do you use a different object? If you use the drill, do you protect the sharp end of the drill from the hammer strike?

What is the thickness of plastic you're punching?

TIA

Moe

Not for sale, David. I'm just a guy living in Brazil with no access to imported goods for my hobby quite often. That's why I'm always trying new ideas.

Okay, thanks. I'm sure many of us will try to reproduce what you've illustrated here. It seems like a great idea.

What a great design!!!!

Do you use the other end of the drill to punch the holes or do you use a different object? If you use the drill, do you protect the sharp end of the drill from the hammer strike?

TIA

Moe

With the price of Drill bit sets at Canadian Tire I wouldn't worry about that Pointy end too much.

Great Idea.... I'm using that one!!!!! Could never bring myself to cough up a Hundred bucks for a Waldron set. Drill bit Sets are always on sale at Canadian Tire for less than $10 Bucks.

Thanks for the Cool tip Modelday!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Emil

I think if you put the pointy end into a pinvise, it'll protect the drill. It also gives you a larger area to hit with the hammer (Your thumbs will thank you)

Atleast that's what I think would work.

Hope I'm not stealing your thunder here ModelDay, but there's another thread I found similar to this one: http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/mess...h+more+sizes%21

What a great design!!!!

TIA

Moe

I protect the sharp end of the drill with a plastic cap.

When you drill through the acrylic sheets, especially with the smaller size drills, how are you keeping the angles square? Or are you using a pillar drill?

That's right and, take your time. Use a very slow speed to avoid melting the acrylic.

great idea! but PLEASE do not strike a drill bit with a hammer. its a very big no no. the metal shatters and the fragments are very sharp. if you do, wear safety glasses and a face sheild. a proper set of punches are cheaper than a glass eye.

great idea! but PLEASE do not strike a drill bit with a hammer. its a very big no no. the metal shatters and the fragments are very sharp. if you do, wear safety glasses and a face sheild. a proper set of punches are cheaper than a glass eye.

Don't worry kurly! I know: safety first.

I'm gathering My plans for this project, and I think I'll drill into a dowel and leave the bit in the wood. Like I said around here drill bits are very inexpensive so a set can be converted to just a punch set.

:)

Emil

I'm gathering My plans for this project, and I think I'll drill into a dowel and leave the bit in the wood. Like I said around here drill bits are very inexpensive so a set can be converted to just a punch set.

:)

Emil

Go ahead Elmo!!!!

I'm already working on my "metalic base" version. It will be made of a U$ 2,00 alluminium scrap plate.

Pictures???? Soon!!!!

B)

Edited by ModelDay

Looking good.

I've got the Waldron minature set, but was also looking at producing my own instead of forking out for the sub-minature set (wouldn't be so bad if Roll Models charged a reasonable shipping rate, but they charge shipping based on the price not the weight or size!).

So have you try punching with one of these? I was thinking that because drills don't produce perfectly round holes you would need to ream the holes after drilling so you wouldn't be able to use the drill that you made the hole with.

If yours punches fine I'll might have a go at doing it this way.