Finally making some real headway, so thought I'd post some pics just to prove that the Tonka really does exist as a project and its not just something fictitious in my sig line.

Been working on it for about 6 months on & off (mostly off) until lately, but thanks to Jason (Tornadofan) enthusiastic badgering over the last month or so, things have really moved on.

The basic airframe is now complete, and I hope to start final camo painting in the next few days.

I'm using the Paragon flap & slat set and ejector seats, the cockpit is from the kit with the exception of some Eduard parts on the Pilots & Navigators coamings and rudder pedals,

Some older shots first showing the mods I made to the tailplane, I've used an Aluminium tube instead of the flimsy kit tailplane pivot parts and also modified the wings to be removeable (thanks to Ted Taylor for that tip) then a couple of her as she currently sits.

Revellparts.jpg

Tornadotailplanes.jpg

Tornadotailplanesandfuselage.jpg

Tornadowingmods.jpg

Tornadocockpitwoutflash.jpg

Tornadocockpit.jpg

Tornadoprimed.jpg

Its my first 1/32 scale kit, and I love it, plenty of scope for super detailing, already planning the next one, a F-104 "Spillone" of the AMI (Italian Air Force).

Thanks for looking.

Ant

Hi guys,

I read that section about removable wings, but it wa written in such a way that i didnt really get it. Could you explain how to do it?

Once you've glued the upper and lower wing halves together, cut a slot from the pivot hole to a point just in front of the swing wing mechanism, you can see the slot in the 4th photo above.

I'm using the Paragon resin wing seals too so I had to cut off part of the swing wing mechanism to allow the wings to slide in and out.

Looking good and like the removable wing idea. Which thread did you get this from I think I missed it.

The tip about the wings doesn't come from a thread here its actually on Ted's website, heres a link to his build :

Mig Eater

Ted's built a few of these over the years and has a couple of builds featured on his website.

I'm away this weekend so I won't get much chance to do any more till next week.

Thanks for looking and the kind comments.

Ant

cheers, that helped alot.

How are you going to mask the silver bit at the root of the wing? or are you going to fold the wings so its not visible? i think im going to have trouble masking that!

cheers, that helped alot.

How are you going to mask the silver bit at the root of the wing? or are you going to fold the wings so its not visible? i think im going to have trouble masking that!

Hi Ollie,

By the silver bit at the wing root, I take it you mean the portion of the wing that is covered by the wing glove when swept fully but exposed when they are fully forward, this portion is actually a dirty grey colour, but is hardly discernible on the new camo scheme, take a look at this photo on the RAF website:

tornadogr_05_0800.jpg

My Tonka is going to be finished in the original wraparound DS Grey/ Dk. Green scheme so I will have to mask it off carefully, I have a few more Tonka's so I can always use an upper fuselage from one of those as a template for cutting the masking tape.

I'm also using the Paragon flap set so the wings will be positioned fully forward.

BTW I haven't been home to pick up the spare instrument panel yet, but will try to do so tomorrow.

HTH

Ant