Hi folks

Got a few questions about these paints

1.What is the difference between Game + Model color ranges?

2. What type of paints are these - acrylic, enamel,etc?

3. Can you airbrush these or are they just for brush painting?

4. Must they be thinned and with what solution?

5. Finally, do they have a large color range appropriate to painting aircraft? The colors seem to have diff names to Humbrol colors?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Kevin hi

The quick and dirty

1. The name of the colours

2. Acrylic

3. Model colour is best brush painted, air colour is specifically for the airbrush. I understand you can thin and airbrush the model colour range, but have never done so. I love the air colour range.

4. Both can be thinned with water, and I also use a drop of Sainsburys Window Cleaner, as it seems to retard drying time

5. Couldn't get the direct links to work so check out the Vallejo website and check the paint charts and equivilancies. Model Colour and Air Colour

HTH

Pete

Edited by Pete Wenman

Air Colour is pre thinned ready for airbrushing.

Model Colour is not prethinned and just needs a touch of distilled water for smooth brush stroke free application. This is the biggest range and contains colour matches for many standard colours, plus a comprehensive range of other shades. My wife and I use this range a great deal.

Game colour is formulated to match Games Workshop (Citadel) paints. For example Citadel Shadow Grey has it's equivalent in Vallejo as Sombre Grey. Once again my wife and I use this range.

Any of the Vallejo paints are excellent value and all airbrush well. I thin using distilled water and the results are excellent. To this date I have yet to try the air colour range but have been told they are very good, perhaps more durable than the other two ranges.

:lol:

MikeJ

Air Colour is pre thinned ready for airbrushing.

Model Colour is not prethinned and just needs a touch of distilled water for smooth brush stroke free application. This is the biggest range and contains colour matches for many standard colours, plus a comprehensive range of other shades. My wife and I use this range a great deal.

Game colour is formulated to match Games Workshop (Citadel) paints. For example Citadel Shadow Grey has it's equivalent in Vallejo as Sombre Grey. Once again my wife and I use this range.

Any of the Vallejo paints are excellent value and all airbrush well. I thin using distilled water and the results are excellent. To this date I have yet to try the air colour range but have been told they are very good, perhaps more durable than the other two ranges.

:o

MikeJ

Don`t want to start a argument but its a popular misonception with regards model air. They are not pre thinned for spraying but of a finer pigment more compatible for air airushing. In order to spray them they should be thinned 1 part thinner to 3 parts paint. (I learn't this the hard way. And it is stated on th website.)

The standard model color can be sprayed but needs to be thinned 2 parts thinner to 1 part paint. The finish when air brushed is excellant but can be very easily damaged, to the point that it can actually wipe of parts. So as soon as its dried, spray a hard clear coat like future etc to seal it.

I used the Vallejo range exclusivley in my F 16 build and found them to be excellant. This paint and kit also marked my first use of acrylic paints and ultimately the switch from enamels.

Heres a piccy of the finish on my Tamiya F 16. Not to shabby. It was finished off with Matt clear from the Hannants Acrylix range which really bungs up the tip of your brush.

final001.jpg

Hope that helps Nigel.

Well, I mentioned I had yet to use the Air Colour range but have been told what I typed by several users.

However as mentioned I use both the game colour and model colour range extensively.

Vallejo Flat is most impressive but I still prefer Pollyscale clear flat.

:cheers:

MikeJ