F-14 from the top gun film

Not exactly. Tomcat squadrons were not ever silently designated as VFA's, just because they were bomb dropping. If that were true, than all the squadrons would have been unofficially re-designated. And they obviously were when the Navy switched to a new airframe, the super hornet. I think the only official F/A-14 patch came from VF-154, manily because they prided themselves on the fact that, they were an F-14A squadron who had a stellar performance rate dropping bombs.

... it was a figure of speech.

One tiny thing: "Cougar" is misspelled ;) . gAr, not gEr. Other than that... :)

Daniel

(ARC has the coolest emoticons...)

Ooops. I'll fix that. I never did get an answer about the italic Modex numbers. I'm sure I seen them, or did they just not have then on the jet used in Top Gun?

Just to stir the pot a little . . . how about the character played by Clarence Gilyard Jr. as Maverick's RIO after Goose's death, callsign "SUNDOWN"?

Taking a bit of a leap, but would his name been put on the aircraft? And what exactly was his name?

I'm working on the Fist of the Fleet markings for Iceman.

I still don't know which to do VFA or VF.

IMHO I think no matter how correct to the movie it might be, everyone who know a bit about Navy Aircraft will say "hey it should be VF not VFA."

I don't think I;ll use this decal so it up to who ever has an opinion about it. Majority rules here.

Ooops. I'll fix that. I never did get an answer about the italic Modex numbers. I'm sure I seen them, or did they just not have then on the jet used in Top Gun?

Maverick's (114) and Iceman's (104) definitely didn't have italicized ones. I'll have to get my DVD out later and check, because for some reason, I believe Cougar's (203) may have--and the lo-viz jet, not the hi-viz one in that shot I posted from the stills gallery (where you can see director Tony Scott and a camera in the foreground).

Jared, for the Iceman 'Fist of the Fleet' markings, my vote is still to do both versions--VF and VFA--and let the individual modeler choose which one they want to use. Like I said a couple of nights ago, to get the VF style correct, you almost have to do the VFA one first, anyway, and use it as a basis to then 'paint out' the A (and use a lighter shade of yellow, not darker like on the example I posted).

vesper, that picture with the Cyrillic lettering on the canopy rail is awesome! Duplicate that, along with this on the tail:

topgun17ll6.jpg

...and you've got a Mig-28! :whistle:

Daniel

Jared - keep at it bud - can't wait to use these markings! Actually started a pair of 1/72 hase tomcats just for these decals!

Couple correction points for you - Iceman's jet -

1. was back in the day when there were only three stars on the tail. (4th came after OIF)

2. The bolt was red (your artwork just posted looks orange)

3. The black borders should be really thin.

4. The VF/VFA-213 is thinner and smaller in the badge. I see a few pics of it like AP Hancock mentioned where the A has been painted over so my suggestion is either do it with and without the A. A dab of yellow paint by the modeler over it would be accurate to the markings. If you do it without the A, make sure to leave the space as it was originally painted on.

--if anyone has a scanner, pg 158-159 in the BYE-BYE TOMCAT book has a great big shot of 104.--

5. Take a look at a picture earlier in the thread, Mav's 114. The number is slightly shorter and fatter than the standard modex numbers. By comparison Ice's 104 is standard black long beach font, very slight tilt.

Mav's 114 has standard tps markings (medium gray)

Ice's 104 standard tps markings (medium gray) except for star on the cockpit fuselage which is euro gray when TCS is installed. When it had the bullet fairing it was medium gray

104C (Iceman's tail and VF-213 tail) was standard TPS medium gray.

6. Names were only in black.

7. Bunos on the engine was only in tps (medium) grey.

8. The Rescue arrow, shorten the RESCUE so it fits in the rectangle part, it doesn't enter the triangle at the bottom.

Should have word back from Tony's office this week as to when his assistant will have the stuff together and I can get in there. He did pass on something we already knew - most of the squadron badges were picked by him and the art director for 1, the way they looked, and 2, not to try and use an 'actual' squadron. They wanted to keep that fictitious, except for VF-111 because as they said - 'they sundowners were just too cool."

topguniceman104.jpg

Edited by Brian P
Nice going!

I am getting ready a tomcat and a 1/48 Tom Cruise.

All ya need is a 1:48th scale Oprah and a 1:48th scale couch for the 1:48th scale Scientologist ... :banana::banana:

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

Oh one more, but I'm sure you got it already - Ice's 104 on the starboard side the tail badge is pointing the other way, so the bolt is high on the left (aft) and low on the right (forward).

Same deal on Mav's 114, eagle faces forward.

-bp

Brian's already covered most of it, but I just have to add one thing. I posted this a few days (and many posts) back, but it may have gotten lost in the clutter:

Jared, for the 'VF' version of Iceman's tail art, your first version of the layout of the text looks similar to this:

topgun18zg0.jpg

All the letters are evenly spaced out, and it looks very neat and tidy. Unfortunately, it's not accurate.

topgun19go3.jpg

The photo both Brian and I have referenced on pages 158-159 of "Bye, Bye, Baby" shows a noticeable touch-up where the 'A' in 'VFA' was painted over. Like this:

topgun21bt5.jpg

But--and this is important--the area of touch-up is NOT darker than the rest of the yellow the way I've shown it here. After throwing this together, I went back and looked at the photo, and saw that the yellow touch-up is in fact lighter than in the rest of the insignia.

Please keep at it! :cheers:

Daniel

Brain P, Great job thanks. I'm working on the corrections.

A question for the sharp eyes out there. As far as Iceman's 104. It looks like the numbers are not italic. It does look like the numbers 10 were painted at a differant angle then the number 4. I know it's a little tricky to apply a stencel on cone surface. I suspect the 10 way applied in one part then the 4 as a seperate part. So I think I can adjust the decal to reflect that. Even though I think it might look funny on a model. Also are the points of the stars on the the tail art point to the center? I think they are.

Also the VFA-203. I think The best way to solve this will be to just leave it VFA and if you don't want the A you can dab it our with yellow.

Edited by Jared Bishop