F-14 from the top gun film

ok so here are the updates. I think I have the 1/48 scale to a satisfacoty point. Not perfent. I've included a test sheet also for the tail art. You will see the 1/32 and 1/48 sacle tail art with 5% variations. I'll try again to see which will work best for both scales. I was hopping to have more done but we had a liitle event last night.

Side note. I love the George Forman Grills. but beware of the 17 month old kid who love to grab things just out of reach. I spent a bit of time cleaning my son after he grabbed the oil drip pan and pulling it down all over his face. He fine, no burns, just freaked him out. B) Man when you you think you go parenting down.

Let us know Jared, also don't forget about my tip from the models from Flight Simulator available at Flightsim.com also, they make a wonderful resource!

John

writer and creator of Flap's Flap at http://www.flightsim.com

I've done a lot of 3d modeling and I have to say for the most part I don't trust it as a resource. I've seen too many errors and shortcuts in models. I think most 3D modelers (especialy in the video game industry) aime for belivablity not accuracy. There are lots of great books with photos.

Edited by Jared Bishop
I've done a lot of 3d modeling and I have to say for the most part I don't trust it as a resource. I've seen too many errors and shortcuts in models. I think most 3D modelers (especialy in the video game industry) aime for belivablity not accuracy. There are lots of great books with photos.

I hear you there, and of course, that's fine if that is how you think of it. I find that details for windows for Airliners and so forfth are really good at that level. Great work on the Decals especially for the tail insignia. Mind if I use them on my Top Gun jet when they're finished? (Top Gun jet for Maverick and Goose that is)

John

I hear you there, and of course, that's fine if that is how you think of it. I find that details for windows for Airliners and so forfth are really good at that level. Great work on the Decals especially for the tail insignia. Mind if I use them on my Top Gun jet when they're finished? (Top Gun jet for Maverick and Goose that is)

John

I'm making these for any and all to use.

Jared,

I just found this thread and have read most of it and it made me dizzy! It is currently 0400hrs! The decals you have posted now, are they final? Any pointers on how to get these printed? Any instructions on how to apply these decals to represent a particular jet?

I have long had an idea to build Mav/Gose F-14 inverted over a "MiG-28". Somehow I want to pose Mav "giving him the bird" and Goose snapping the Polaroid.

Chappie

Thanks Jared, appreciate it! I'm glad you did the canopy nams. I was looking at mine and they were scaled more for a 1/72 model. How do you figure out scale size etc? I'm basically only doing this one with custom schemes for now, my next model, decided will be a F-22 Raptor 1/48 scale from Revell, so I'll be doing that stock basically except maybe for the weapons. My other question for any other modellers out there is, does anyone know of any good after market sources for the drop tanks to add to my F-14.? I started weathering the engines yesterday and it's coming out fabulous! Also if you could Jared, let me know which of the F14 numbers at the bottom was for Maverick's jet? That would be excellent, If I have to, I have no problem watching the movie again though to find out........Thanks!

John

Edited by Ragtopjohnny

So below I have the 3 scales. Due to the 200 character limit I could only fit the numbers.

These files can be opened up in Adobe PDF. They are at a high enough resolution that I don’t think an ink jet printer can take advantage of anything larger. That brings us to where to print. I did a bit of looking around and I’ve seen two different companies offer blank decal sheets.

Tester and SuperCal Decals. I don’t’ know which is better. I do know that SuperCal Decals does offer a white decal sheet. Ifyou use the eagle tail art decal you see that there is white. So you can paint the area white first then apply the decal, use a white decal from another sheet (lots of WWII aircraft have them), print on white decal paper, or find someone that has an ALPS Printer. There is someone in my club that has access to one. I haven’t talked to them yet about print but I’d want make sure that all of these sheets are accurate.

I’ve heard that you can also use a color copier to print decals. I have a color laserjet printer so I’m going to try that out. So for now you’re on your own to get these printed. If after any corrections and fine tuning is done I’ll look into getting some printed up on an ALPS printer.

As for an instruction sheet. Sometime if the decals are ever declared correct I might do one. Just read this form and you'll see were everything should go, or did go in one shot.

Edited by Jared Bishop

Jarod,

When you have tried using you color printer, can you tell us how it went? I have seen some people try it but it has always turned out a bit disappointing. The printer has used a screen type of pattern with two distinctly different colors that are meant to be one. I have heard that there is supposed to be "clean" colors, i.e. colors that the printer doesn´t have to screen. No one ahs ever been able to explain it to me. Also, what is the resolution of your printer?

Thank you very much for the time you have invested in the Top Gun decals. And man, you are sharing your work with everybody.

Thanks

Martin

So below I have the 3 scales. Due to the 200 character limit I could only fit the numbers.

These files can be opened up in Adobe PDF. They are at a high enough resolution that I don’t think an ink jet printer can take advantage of anything larger. That brings us to where to print. I did a bit of looking around and I’ve seen two different companies offer blank decal sheets.

Tester and SuperCal Decals. I don’t’ know which is better. I do know that SuperCal Decals does offer a white decal sheet. Ifyou use the eagle tail art decal you see that there is white. So you can paint the area white first then apply the decal, use a white decal from another sheet (lots of WWII aircraft have them), print on white decal paper, or find someone that has an ALPS Printer. There is someone in my club that has access to one. I haven’t talked to them yet about print but I’d want make sure that all of these sheets are accurate.

I’ve heard that you can also use a color copier to print decals. I have a color laserjet printer so I’m going to try that out. So for now you’re on your own to get these printed. If after any corrections and fine tuning is done I’ll look into getting some printed up on an ALPS printer.

As for an instruction sheet. Sometime if the decals are ever declared correct I might do one. Just read this form and you'll see were everything should go, or did go in one shot.

Also if you could Jared, let me know which of the F14 numbers at the bottom was for Maverick's jet? That would be excellent, If I have to, I have no problem watching the movie again though to find out........Thanks!

I'm working on something, but want to (privately) bounce it off Brian P before posting--I'm sure there'll be stuff he can add to it, or correct. But in the meantime, here's something for the two 'star' Tomcats:

placementguidexi7.th.jpg

Daniel

Oh, and you can find 1/48 Tomcat droptanks from Steel Beach at spruebrothers... :cheers:

Jarod,

When you have tried using you color printer, can you tell us how it went? I have seen some people try it but it has always turned out a bit disappointing. The printer has used a screen type of pattern with two distinctly different colors that are meant to be one. I have heard that there is supposed to be "clean" colors, i.e. colors that the printer doesn´t have to screen. No one ahs ever been able to explain it to me. Also, what is the resolution of your printer?

Thank you very much for the time you have invested in the Top Gun decals. And man, you are sharing your work with everybody.

Thanks

Martin

Most Injet Printers max out at about 150 dpi. You won't see differance in you injet between setting a file at 150 and 150,000 dpi It's just take a long time to print.

My LaserJet can print to at about 600 dpi. You won't see a big differance in the sharpness of the images so much as the qulity of print. Laserjet print better and at a lower cost than an InkJet printer.

I'm not an all knowing print goru but this is what I've seen. I could be wrong.

Bringing this baby back from the dead. I can't remember if anyone has mentioned this and I don't want to go through the whole thread to find out, so...........

I have the Colors & Markings book on Atlantic and Pacific F-14 squadrons. In the back of the Pacific book there are four pictures of F-14s from the movie. Here is what I found........

On the Maverick/Goose airplane #114 the eagle in the VF-1 logo is facing aft.

The Fist of the Fleet logo on Ice/Slider airplane does say VFA-213.

Does this help?

Chappie

Thank you Jared! That is really appreciated what you have done. I will add some of yours to my own. If anyone wants, I'll show previews in this forum, I'm continuing the work on Helmet Details, and should be getting everything printed next week. I'm a fanatic when it comes to detailing, so I'll let everyone know and show a preview for anyone who might want my helmet details for Maverick and Goose. (Sorry those are the only ones I'm doing though......)

John Thuot II

Current project:

1/48 Top Gun Replica F-14 Tomcat

I've been wanting to get this posted for more than a couple of weeks now, but it took awhile to finish up the graphical portion of it. It's a textual reference guide, and visual placement guide, for Jared's awesome markings. Hopefully this will make sure everyone is able to build the most accurate representations possible:

TOP GUN Markings Guide
======================

The F-14s seen in the movie carried fictitious markings never worn by real-life Tomcat squadrons.  Aircraft from Maverick's and Cougar's squadron used tail markings based on the West Coast Hawkeye RAG, VAW-110, while Iceman's came from a Hornet squadron, VFA-25.  Scenes filmed at Miramar, CA, and Fallon, NV, were done with Tomcats provided by VF-51 and VF-111, and on the USS Enterprise, from VF-114 and VF-213.  For these decals, only the Bureau Numbers of the VF-51 and -111 aircraft were availalbe ("Tomcat Alley" by David Brown).

The Jets:
---------

All appear to have been painted in some variation(s) of the Tactical Paint Scheme, and were heavily weathered; CVW-15 had just returned home after a 6-month WESTPAC not long before shooting began, and the jets still showed the abuse.  Stencilling and data markings were standard lo-viz (available in many commercially-produced decal sheets).  The Tomcats used in the movie had uncommon-style 'RESCUE' arrows, with the letters stacked, and so these have been provided.

"Maverick/Goose" -- MODEX 114.  BuNo 160665.  Crew names: Lt. Pete Mitchell, "Maverick" (pilot), Lt. jg Nick Bradshaw, "Goose" (RIO).  Carried the red, white, and blue VF-1 insignia on the outsides of both tails.  In some cases, the right-side insignia had the eagle facing forward, and other times facing aft.  Intake walkways are gull gray.

"Iceman/Slider" -- MODEX 104.  BuNo 160681.  Crew names: Lt. Tom Kazansky, "Iceman" (pilot), Lt. jg Ron Kerner, "Slider" (RIO).  Carried the yellow, black, and red VFA-213 insignia on the outsides of both tails.  At some point during filming, the 'A' in 'VFA-' was painted over with a yellow a shade lighter than the yellow in the rest of the insignia.  The '104' on the nose had the '10' slanted backward, but the '4' straight up-and-down.  Intake walkways are gull gray.

"Cougar/Merlin" -- MODEX 203.  BuNo unknown (possibly 160695).  Crew names: Lt. Bill Cortell, "Cougar" (pilot), Lt. jg Sam Wills, "Merlin" (RIO).  Carried the red, white, and blue VF-1 insignia on the outsides of both tails.  Cougar and Merlin are also seen flying a VF-1 (movie VF-1, not the real-life Wolfpack) Tomcat with a MODEX of 107.

"Maverick/Merlin" -- MODEX 114.  BuNo 160694.  Crew names: Lt. Pete Mitchell, "Maverick" (pilot), Lt. jg Sam Wills, "Merlin" (RIO).  Carried the red, white, and blue VF-1 insignia on the outsides of both tails.  Was used as the primary camera ship during filming, and at various times also carried the 'Iceman' VFA-213 markings on the tails, as well as the VF-213 Black Lions emblem.  Note: When carrying the Black Lions insignia, the one on the right side was smaller than the one on the left, and actually placed directly OVER the Iceman marking, leaving portions of it still visible at the top and bottom!  Intake walkways are either black or euro I gray.  This aircraft also featured a very distinctive gull gray replacement panel on its spine, where the two furthest-aft blade antennas are located.

BuNos 160685 and 160695.  Both were involved in filming, though it's uncertain what markings either one carried.  Either one would be an option for the Cougar/Merlin 203/107 jets.

(on the Enterprise):  Aardvark 112 was re-marked for Maverick/Goose, and was likely a Block 90 Tomcat with a 1598xx BuNo.  Lion 213 was re-done as Iceman's/Slider's, and was possibly 160925.

Chin pods:
----------

Most of the movie's Tomcats carried the new (at the time) TCS chin pod, with the camera installed; in most cases, the 'barrel' portion appears to be painted gull gray.  160694 had the TCS chin mount without the camera, instead with the bullet-shaped fairing, which also seems to be painted gull gray, while the rest of the mount was lt. ghost gray.

Armament:
---------

2 AIM-9s and 2 AIM-7s mounted on the glove pylons, external tanks, and no Phoenix pallets was the loadout most commonly seen in the film.

(NOTE: Though Maverick's VF-1 is deployed aboard the Enterprise in the movie, and Iceman is there for the finale, as well, "USS Enterprise" text doesn't appear anywhere on the movie's Tomcats--except for those wearing their real-life VF-114 and -213 markings, that is.)

placementguidewv9.th.jpg

Hope all of that is helpful, :D

Daniel

Looks like you really did your homework there Daniel, Thanks alot buddy! <_<

John Thuot II

Current Project:

Revell Monogram 1/48 F-14 Tomcat from Top Gun 2 weeks so far in the making

Watch the weeks number! It will increase as they go by - Wow - who would think of that, huh?

Ok everything has been out together in a nice little zip file.

I'll keep this in my signature for a few months. And please post your pics we'd love to see them.

Top Gun Decals and instructions

Great work, Jared. Great work everybody who contributed information. If there is anybody who is going to print a 1/48th sheet, I'd gladly pay them to print a sheet for me.

Chappie

Thanks Jared! I'll gladly be able to post pictures as the project gets worked on in my AOL Photo album. I'll have to add that link in my signature. I've just completed Maverick's Helmet Details for decals instead of what I was using originally, which was toothpicks - and am working on Goose's Helmet details right now. I'll download the package. I have the original 1/48 scale sheet, is there any changes to it? Thanks!

Thanks Jared! I'll gladly be able to post pictures as the project gets worked on in my AOL Photo album. I'll have to add that link in my signature. I've just completed Maverick's Helmet Details for decals instead of what I was using originally, which was toothpicks - and am working on Goose's Helmet details right now. I'll download the package. I have the original 1/48 scale sheet, is there any changes to it? Thanks!

If the file name is the same then it is the same. I believe that each version had a different name. You can also right click and check the date created.

Thanks again Jared. I don't know why it didn't let me know that you responded, but I'm going to the printers with everything tomorrow. Can't wait to see how they are! Even the helmet detailing, which took 3 hours each helmet to do with resizing and scaling, came out very well, which I was quite pleased to see. I'll keep you guys posted and pictures will be done of this bird when she's finished. Thanks again for all your hard work!