F-16 Colors question.

Hello all, just looking at the Academy and Tamiya Vipers. The Academy shows they are painted in two greys, FS 36118 and FS 36270. The Tamiya shows three greys, FS36118, Light Ghost Grey FS 36375 and Medium Grey, don`t know the FS # for it. Which scheme is right?

Don

USAF F-16's leave the factory in the three tone scheme. They are repainted at overhauls in the two tone scheme.

Regards,

Murph

Why doesn't the factory switch to the two-tone scheme. Wouldn't save money to stock one less paint number? But, when our backshop guys paint an overhauled rail or pylon they paint it 36375!! Weird.

Chappie

Sounds good. I guess that means the Tamiya birds are fairly new aircraft and the Academy birds are repaints. Thanks guys!!

Probably not. I expect Tamiya just reprinted the LM paint instructions as their paint guide. More than likely if you looked at actual photos of the the aircraft represented by the Tamiya decals you'ld find them in the two tone grey.

Probably not. I expect Tamiya just reprinted the LM paint instructions as their paint guide. More than likely if you looked at actual photos of the the aircraft represented by the Tamiya decals you'ld find them in the two tone grey.
No, Tamiya just made an error on their painting guide. The schemes for the kit markings are all 2-tone gray.

Thats a bit of a shock, you think they would get the paint scheme right. Thanks for the heads-up!!

Don

Why doesn't the factory switch to the two-tone scheme. Wouldn't save money to stock one less paint number? But, when our backshop guys paint an overhauled rail or pylon they paint it 36375!! Weird.

Chappie,

Not sure why, but Jim Barr has mentioned here several times, that the USAF has never changed the factory specs with Lock-Mart for the paint scheme.

Regards,

Murph

There are very, very, very few USAF jets still left in the 3-tone grey. While I was at Shaw last week, I only saw about 6 of them, and they have the last jets delivered to the USAF.

Jake

Chappie

G'day to all,

Here in Singapore, the RSAF still have their Vipers painted by STAE in 3-tone greys.

Andrew.

Could someone provide a photographic reference?

Ves :blink:

Of what? the 2-tone or 3-tone? What exactly are you looking to see? For shots of the 2-tone jets, visit my website. I also just posted pics of Cannon and Shaw Vipers in the Real Aviation forum, including some shots of the Shaw jets in 3-tone camo.

96-0084_55FS_JMelampy.jpg

This is the next-to-last Viper delivered to the USAF.

01-7052_79FS_JMelampy.jpg

Jake

Could you elaborate on that paint Jake? I've seen many Shaw jets in that "paint". You can barely see the tailcode.

it is called "Have Glass". It is a special RAM-based paint, and is very classified. I don't know anything about it beyond that.

Jake

Thanks. Is it more of an "angle" effect or does the paint look like that from all angles? Can't say I like it very much from a modeling standpoint - makes what was a simple painting season a PITA.

It is not the angle. It is the overall condition. Here's another view of another jet.

00-0225_79FS_JMelampy.jpg

Jake

Hey Don you'd probably want to check this, it might help a little bit... :banana:

http://www.lancersworld.de/eng/f16schemes.html

Eric

Excellent link Eric and Iron Eagle!! Thanks!! I didn`t think the Viper scheme would be this complex, at least it didn`t appear so at first glance. Thanks again.

Don