McDD F-4G Wild Weasel Profiles

F-4G_69212_SP_52FW-800.jpg

High Resolution Version

McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II Wild Weasel 52nd Fighter Wing

Another machine from the 52nd Fighter wing, this time the commanders machine flown by General Bob Oaks and Captain Jim Parker from Spangdahlem AFB in germany :whistle:

F-4G_697571_SP_52FW-800.jpg

High Resolution Version

McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II Wild Weasel 52nd Fighter Wing

This F-4G was to be the only 52nd Fighter Wing Wild Weasel lost during operation desert storm/shield. It crashed on the 18th of Januari 1991 after running out of fuel when it missed the orbit of the tanker. As there was not enough fuel for another attempt to join up with the tanker the pilot decided to divert to Al Kharj Airbase in Saudi Arabia. However heavy construction equipment had taken out the bases runway lights and dense fog obscured the view of the runway. The crew then decided to eject which they both survived. The machine bellied in near the airfield and had to be written of. Sensitive equipment was removed and the remainder of the machine was buried.

Very nice work Lieuwe :whistle:

Somewhere rolled up for its own protection i have a print of a Spang F-4G signed in mid 1991 by ALL the crews that flew the Weasel in Desert Storm,including a short message from the then Capt Tim Burke the pilot who ejected from 69-7571.

I'll have to dig it out and scan it.......wonder where Capt Burke is now? :)

Some pics of 69-7571

69-7571B.jpg

69-7571C.jpg

69-7571D.jpg

69-7571E.jpg

Very nice work Lieuwe :whistle:

Somewhere rolled up for its own protection i have a print of a Spang F-4G signed in mid 1991 by ALL the crews that flew the Weasel in Desert Storm,including a short message from the then Capt Tim Burke the pilot who ejected from 69-7571.

I'll have to dig it out and scan it.......wonder where Capt Burke is now? :)

Some pics of 69-7571

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mungo1974/69-7571B.jpg[/ig]

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mungo1974/69-7571C.jpg[/ig]

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mungo1974/69-7571D.jpg[/ig]

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mungo1974/69-7571E.jpg[/ig]

Interesting pictures Mungo! Amazing how intact the machine still is despite of the crash. If you have anymore pictures of F-4G's (or E's or F's for that matter) I'd love to have them :) I am always looking for more info on planes to do profiles of! Looking forward to seeing the scan!

If you have anymore pictures of F-4G's (or E's or F's for that matter) I'd love to have them smile.gif I am always looking for more info on planes to do profiles of!

I can send some pics of my unit's F-4E's,would love to see a profile done of one of them!

I can send some pics of my unit's F-4E's,would love to see a profile done of one of them!

Cool! My email is supah@chaotic.nl or you can post them here :) Any good pictures of unit logo's would be helpfull too, but are not a make or break item :D

This will give you an idea of what our Phantoms looked like.I'll have to dig out the disk that has better shots as soon as I get home from work.

good8.jpg

INANGF4Es.jpg

F-4EColor.jpg

photo by Nate Leong

The patch would read 181st Tactical Fighter Group(and not have the stuff at the top of it),the one shown is the current one

FW.jpg

113th patch would read 113th Tactical Fighter Squadron,the one shown is the current one

113OPScolor.jpg

Edited by ThePhantomTwo
F-4E_HF_68-495_131TFS.jpg

Work so far <_< need some info on the markings in the red white blue area on the tail, and the bar on the intake :D

Looks great so far!A few notes though:

1.The unit emblem to the left should read "181st Tactical Fighter Group"

2. The fighter squadron emblem and narrative should read "113th Tacticl Fighter Squadron" and not 131st Tactical Fighter Squadron.

Here are photo's to help out with the items you noted:

384-tail.jpg

The bar is a Outstanding Unit Award ribbon

384-2-1.jpg

Outstanding job!!!!!!!

Some very usefull images! Could you spell out the names of the crew and crewchiefs etc. ? Their a bit hard to read on the pictures :banana: About the C and D versions, I am planning them but as they require large structural edits to the template they might take some more time. btw how do you think the nose profile looks on this F-4J?

nosej.jpg

A test shot

postertestsmall.jpg

High Resolution Version

Edited by Lieuwe
Some very usefull images! Could you spell out the names of the crew and crewchiefs etc. ? Their a bit hard to read on the pictures ^_^ About the C and D versions, I am planning them but as they require large structural edits to the template they might take some more time. btw how do you think the nose profile looks on this F-4J?

nosej.jpg

A test shot

postertestsmall.jpg

High Resolution Version

The pics I posted are from a different F-4E,not 68-0495,the pics of the detail shots are from 67-0384 which was the "Phantom Out" aircraft that flew the last operational mission with the unit.I only know the crew chief that was assigned to '495,I can't remember who the other crew chiefs were or the pilots and WSO.My plane would have been easier to do,we didn't carry any crew names on except for a four month period in 1991 :cheers:

One note,we are located in Terre Haute,Indiana at Hulman Field IAP,not Ft. Wayne,the 122nd TFW flew thier F-4E's from there.Let me know if you need any more pictures to help out with your F-4 projects.

Also,you have the plane listed as 68-494 in the narritive,it should read 68-0495.

Your profiles are simply awesome! :banana:

Edited by ThePhantomTwo
The pics I posted are from a different F-4E,not 68-0495,the pics of the detail shots are from 67-0384 which was the "Phantom Out" aircraft that flew the last operational mission with the unit.I only know the crew chief that was assigned to '495,I can't remember who the other crew chiefs were or the pilots and WSO.My plane would have been easier to do,we didn't carry any crew names on except for a four month period in 1991 B)

One note,we are located in Terre Haute,Indiana at Hulman Field IAP,not Ft. Wayne,the 122nd TFW flew thier F-4E's from there.Let me know if you need any more pictures to help out with your F-4 projects.

Also,you have the plane listed as 68-494 in the narritive,it should read 68-0495.

Your profiles are simply awesome! <_<

Any and all pictures are greatly welcome! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out :) Thanks for the info about the base! :)

This link might help out with the AFRES F-4E you are doing,the site has almost every F-4 made on it.

924th TFG F-4D's and F-4E's

74-1040 was tranfered to the 924th TFG from the 4th TFW at Seymour Fohnson AFB in 1988,the aircraft were equiped with ARN-101 DMAS(Digital Modular Avionics System and had the TISEO system installed on the left wing leading edge.Look here at the F-4E/G walk-around

F-4E/G Walk-around and TISEO pics

Some very cool pictures :worship: I used the walkarounds at ARC extensively when i started my phantom :) A great resource! Always sad to see these great machines taken out of service but it's the nature of life I am afraid :woo:

About the C and D versions, I am planning them but as they require large structural edits to the template they might take some more time.

Sounds great,let me know once you've done the template....theres awhole bunch of ANG F-4C/D's i like to see done

PhatomTwo,

Do you have enough shots of 384 to send to Scott for sheet? I have the Expert's Choice/Don Spering F-4E "The Last of the Gunfighters" on my shelf (it's in the F-4 Gallery here). I'd like to build that one too.

Didn't you or someone else say that a few Terra Haute F-16s wore HF tailcodes for a very short time?

Chappie

I have more than enough pics for anyone to do a sheet,I have the pics I took plus some "loaner" slides that Don Spering took himself.I believe someone is planning on doing that aircraft 1/48th,I'll have to make sure thats still in his plans(if not,I'll pass on what I have to any one who wants to kick it out on decal),Experts Choice did it in 1/72 but it has errors on the sheet.

We did have six to seven Block 25's that carried the "HF" on the tail.Here a few pics of some of them.The "HF" marked one's came from Hahn AB and were already marked by the time that the "TH" was approved for the 181st.

F-16C 84-1311

F-16C 84-1313

I was "caretaker" of 84-1311 for it's short time with us(eight months IIRC,I was also assigned to 85-1407 at the same time),we had 29 Block 25's on base in 1991/1992, we had our PAA aircraft and the ones we held for units that were converting or going to convert.

Edited by ThePhantomTwo