That is a metal scriber, so very much not ideal for plastic.

Plus, look at the point on it. That's the groove that it will create in your model. It's pretty wide...

A pin vise like this, plus straight pins, will produce cleaner, finer lines. And your local hobby shop will probably have pin vises and mini-drills. If not, a specialty hardware or woodworking store might.

Edited by MoFo
That is a metal scriber, so very much not ideal for plastic.

Plus, look at the point on it. That's the groove that it will create in your model. It's pretty wide...

A pin vise like this, plus straight pins, will produce cleaner, finer lines. And your local hobby shop will probably have pin vises and mini-drills. If not, a specialty hardware or woodworking store might.

Where do you get the pins from? Aren't these just the holders?

Basic, ordinary straight pins. If you wear dress shirts, any one you buy will have half a dozen of them. If not, you can buy a box of 100 at any sewing or craft store for a pound or less.

Pin vises are essentially miniature hand drills. They've got a chuck (or two) that can be used to hold drill bits, dremel bits, or straight pins, wires and the like. Chuck the pin in the vise, and scribe away.

In general I'd suggest you try out a bunch of stuff that intuitively looks like it might scribe plastic well. Experimentation with a variety of stuff is better than chasing after a specific product. I think this is truly a case where what works for others might not work for you, and vise-versa. Have you a drawing/drafting compass? The nicer ones come with a removable steel point to anchor the compass when drawing arcs. In a pin-vise, this works well for scribing, and may give you a little more control than straight pins. Recently I've learned to use a broken X-acto blade to cut very thin lines like Hasegawa's, but this takes a bit more practice for control, and I still use the compass point for small details. Try these kinds of things out, and see what works to your liking.

Edited by Fishwelding

hi, thats an engineers scriber so it will rip the plastic. i use both the hasegawa tritool scriber TT-1 & the

line engraver TT-10 & have not had any probs with them. you can get them from hannants in the uk or

like me hobby link japan ( cheaper with shipping) also bare-metal produce a very good scribing tool for the same price.

good luck andy.