F-35A Machine Human Interface

Here is some brand new reference of the Machine/Human Interface of

the F-35A Lighning II :

The one piece screen intrument panel ;

The cockpit opening from a frontal hinge ( like the Mig-21 F-13 )

The ( kevlar ) Hud Integrated Future Helmet

The Ejetion Seat

The Pilot Equipment

Click on each photo at the following address :

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/20...fice/index.html

:thumbsup:

Guy LeVasseur

Rimouski

Quebec

Canada

Thanks very much for the link, Guy!! All I can say is - WOW! :P I wonder how long it will be before Uncle Sam starts replaceing our worn-out F/A-18A+'s, C's and early D's with these machines? And I wonder if I'll still be excited about working on Strike Jets!? :D

"The one piece screen intrument panel " - actually there is two screens butted together to form one but still pretty neat! :D

Edited by lodni_k

Wow.... I never thought I'd say this, but a decal instrument panel would be acceptable for that thing. This thing's gonna be a tough one for model manufacturers. Whoever makes a model of this will definitely have to do some sort of film/clear sandwich for the cockpit. Plus, with that big huge clear visor for the helmet, it'll be tough to mold clearly. It might have to be a vacuum formed piece. And the cockpit really hinges forward? What's the advantage of this? As for the redhead in the flight suit, here's something to ponder. Is she a Lightning driver, or is she a model? A stunningly hot model. (and will we get a 1/48 ponytail included in the kit?)

Is she a Lightning driver, or is she a model?

Talked to someone who was at the photo session and she is an LM employee but from our Business Development Dept (Marketing) not flight Ops. She fit the description of what they were looking for, the size to fit the flight suit and cute.

Regards

Jim Barr

And the cockpit really hinges forward? What's the advantage of this?

From my understanding the reason they went with the forward hinge is in the quest to keep as much as possible common between the 3 different variants it was the only choice left, the STOVL version with the lift fan right behind the cockpit ruled out a back hinge and because of the retractable refueling probe on the STOVL & CV versions there was not enough room to hinge it off to the side.

The advantage out of all this is, unlike the F-16, you do not have to remove the canopy to take out the ejection seat, the maintainers love that.

Regards

Jim Barr

Just surprised that there is no back-up artificial horizon. Must have great redundancy!

Mark

There isn't one on the F-22 either. The primary attitude reference is the HUD, and the backup is the electronic ADI on either the LUFD or PMFD.

Regards,

Murph

Actually, I'm willing to give her more than 20. :P

Love 'dem redheads

f35interface_07.jpg

I'd only do push-ups if she did crunches :D Also she could be someone they assigned to make the suit look good. Reminds me of the girl on Myth Busters at a distance?

Edited by Erik Bultz
From my understanding the reason they went with the forward hinge is in the quest to keep as much as possible common between the 3 different variants it was the only choice left, the STOVL version with the lift fan right behind the cockpit ruled out a back hinge and because of the retractable refueling probe on the STOVL & CV versions there was not enough room to hinge it off to the side.

The advantage out of all this is, unlike the F-16, you do not have to remove the canopy to take out the ejection seat, the maintainers love that.

Regards

Jim Barr

I rather like the foward hinged canopy look. Something different at least and I'm guessing maybe a little easier to get into and out of (again, pure guess on my part).

Also with the huge screen in front and lack of dials, gauges, and switches, should make detailing the cockpit of a future F-35 model very easy. Just apply the decal for the screen! :D

Glad to see they caught and fixed a mistake in the printed article. The online article reads:

The engine throttle on the pilot’s left and the side stick on the pilot’s right are positioned to be compatible with the widest possible range of pilot shapes and sizes.

The hard copy I received in the mail last week reads:

The engine throttle on the pilot’s right and the side stick on the pilot’s left are positioned to be compatible with the widest possible range of pilot shapes and sizes.

:bandhead2:

Forget the JSF, who's the hottie in the flight suit? ;) (seriously... you guys need to prioritize!)

Ditto. There are pretty pilots in the Air Force :explode:

The other pics are impressive. The big video screens have a Sci Fi look, like in 2001 space odissey. The Helmet is also impressive.

Edited by Grizzly
Also with the huge screen in front and lack of dials, gauges, and switches, should make detailing the cockpit of a future F-35 model very easy. Just apply the decal for the screen! <_<

In fact, when everyting is not powered (the status 95 % of the models are represented in) the scrreen will just look like your computer screen when it's switched off. Black-grayish.

Davide

In fact, when everyting is not powered (the status 95 % of the models are represented in) the scrreen will just look like your computer screen when it's switched off. Black-grayish.

It's black when off. At least on AA-1 it is....

You mean they were talking about an airplane there? All I saw was the redhead! :cheers:

Seriously, though. Looks like they capitalized on the Comanche's helmet technology for the F-35's HMHUD. Glad to see they're gonna get some operational use out of that. Now if we could just get em for the -64....

Jon