help with model mh-60 or mh-6j

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

I need help with figuring out what model to build i want to build mike durants super64 or mh-6j but need help and lots of pics I mainly nead interior pics and pics of nose,tail,etc.

thanx LB 117

Edited by LITTLE BIRD 117

You would have more luck if you posted this under the Helicopter forum. This forum is for In-Progress Pics of models people are building, not for pictures and information about helicopters.

This link should help somewhat:

http://helicopterwalkarounds.czweb.org/

EDIT: Mods have moved topic.

Edited by hotrod_lightning

First you have to decide which model you wish to build.....I think that there is far more info on the MH-60 than MH-6.

I am currently doing MH-60L....awsome helo!!!! If you decide to go with the Blackhawk I can tell you that there is a variety of models out there in 1/48 scale and only one in 1/35.

I started my model in 1/35 Academy but cancelled it because the model was inaccurate at the crucial place and therefore decided to do 1/48 Italeri. Italeri in my opinion has the most accurate Blackhawk in terms of exterior and cabin, but fitting is a MAJOR problem!!! Nothing fit at all!!!!! All parts need to be sanded or worked with for a while in order to fit, but afterwards it looks AWSOME!

Super 64 had:

-glass cockpit (refering to glass instrument panel)

-miniguns

-no refuling probe

-cross like SATCOM

-MH-60 tail stabiliser (rectangular)

-additional probes (inverted L at the aft.....only one!)

-no internal tanks

-the gunners seat backrest was against the pilots...not perpendicular like all models have them positioned

-Fast-Rope system.......you'll need to make these your self (no manufacturer is offering them!)

-FLIR (forward looking Infra red)

-Nose mounted IR

-Additional sensors on the nose and aft (refer to the pics of MH-60L)

For all these additions you can find pics in this website (walkaround) photos or you can ask people to post some pics of their models.

If you wish to make MH-60L in 1/35, than go for the 1/35 Academy AH-60L/MH-60L DAP

If you wish to make MH-60L in 1/48, than go for the 1/48 Pave Hawk Italeri and 1/48 MH-60L Revell (you must combine both kits in order to make Super 64.......2 of 1/48 kits are about the same price as one 1/35!)

Good luck

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117
First you have to decide which model you wish to build.....I think that there is far more info on the MH-60 than MH-6.

I am currently doing MH-60L....awsome helo!!!! If you decide to go with the Blackhawk I can tell you that there is a variety of models out there in 1/48 scale and only one in 1/35.

I started my model in 1/35 Academy but cancelled it because the model was inaccurate at the crucial place and therefore decided to do 1/48 Italeri. Italeri in my opinion has the most accurate Blackhawk in terms of exterior and cabin, but fitting is a MAJOR problem!!! Nothing fit at all!!!!! All parts need to be sanded or worked with for a while in order to fit, but afterwards it looks AWSOME!

Super 64 had:

-glass cockpit (refering to glass instrument panel)

-miniguns

-no refuling probe

-cross like SATCOM

-MH-60 tail stabiliser (rectangular)

-additional probes (inverted L at the aft.....only one!)

-no internal tanks

-the gunners seat backrest was against the pilots...not perpendicular like all models have them positioned

-Fast-Rope system.......you'll need to make these your self (no manufacturer is offering them!)

-FLIR (forward looking Infra red)

-Nose mounted IR

-Additional sensors on the nose and aft (refer to the pics of MH-60L)

For all these additions you can find pics in this website (walkaround) photos or you can ask people to post some pics of their models.

If you wish to make MH-60L in 1/35, than go for the 1/35 Academy AH-60L/MH-60L DAP

If you wish to make MH-60L in 1/48, than go for the 1/48 Pave Hawk Italeri and 1/48 MH-60L Revell (you must combine both kits in order to make Super 64.......2 of 1/48 kits are about the same price as one 1/35!)

Good luck

Thank you every one.Thank you delta force for the advice. I think i want to have a challenge so i will try 1/35 and make a new interior,the seats, fast rope,miniguns,etc... I am not to shure what the inverted probe that is L shape at aft is,or the satcom.Thanks agian every one.

LB

Excellent Choice LB! I am no expert but I am happy to give you advice if you ask for it.

__

The inverted L ( | <--- inverted L) its an antenna that goes behind the exhaust about 1/3 way between exhaust and the vertical stabiliser. If you watch Black Hawk Down all MH-60 have it, its highly visible...can't miss it. If you decide to go with the Academy DAP it already comes with it, so do the miniguns and so on.......the only thing you'll need to scratch build is the fastrope system. I asked about it few months ago on how it look like and the dimensions and some people posted few pics of their model (scratch build fast-rope component)........if you search "fast-rope" in the forum you'll easily find it.

Good luck

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

thanks again delta force that will work.from all the pics i saw there were no ir warning systems on the 93's so i will propably use the 1/35 cc mh-60l conversion,and the eduard photo etched for uh-60l.Also if any one knows how to make a roof for the mh-60l or if anyone makes them please tell.

LB

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117
thanks again delta force that will work.from all the pics i saw there were no ir warning systems on the 93's so i will propably use the 1/35 cc mh-60l conversion,and the eduard photo etched for uh-60l.Also if any one knows how to make a roof for the mh-60l or if anyone makes them please tell.

LB

I just thought about it can anyone tell me how to weather this bird like it has been in somolia.i will aply airtist oil and use model master aircraft interior flat black to make the paint seem fadded. THAnk you

LB

I just thought about it can anyone tell me how to weather this bird like it has been in somolia.i will aply airtist oil and use model master aircraft interior flat black to make the paint seem fadded. THAnk you

LB

This is just a guess, but I just bought the Tamiya weathering set with sand, light sand, and mud. I would say that between the sand and light sand, you could get a descent look from it. It probably wouldn't be perfect but it still would look close (feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

JUST TRY IT OUT ON SCRAP PLASTIC!!!!

Edited by arkhunter2002
Guest LITTLE BIRD 117
This is just a guess, but I just bought the Tamiya weathering set with sand, light sand, and mud. I would say that between the sand and light sand, you could get a descent look from it. It probably wouldn't be perfect but it still would look close (feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

JUST TRY IT OUT ON SCRAP PLASTIC!!!!

Thank you for the help arkhunter,i will try that becuase i have never weathered a modle before thanx agian every one.

LB117

I think......if you want to do some sand weathering the best way would be to buy a spray-can (brown/sand color) and spray lightly from about a meter away form the model.....that way you can create sand mist and it might look real. WARNING......I have NOT yet tried this but I believe that it might work.....try it on scrap piece of plastic and let me know how it turns out.

Thanx

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117
I think......if you want to do some sand weathering the best way would be to buy a spray-can (brown/sand color) and spray lightly from about a meter away form the model.....that way you can create sand mist and it might look real. WARNING......I have NOT yet tried this but I believe that it might work.....try it on scrap piece of plastic and let me know how it turns out.

Thanx

I will try that to ill let you know how it turns out

I haven't really done much in 1/35 scale Blackhawk.....I did start it ( just about finished interior) but when I did some dry fitting on the exterior I noticed that the exhaust schields stick out (they stick too far up when looking from the side) giving it unrealistic look (you can barely see the on a real blackhawk when looking from either left or right side). I always value accuracy (mainly exterior accruacy) over the detail, so I decided to switch to 1/48 scale Italeri....they are very accurate in terms of exterior and cabin detail. If you ask me.....Italeri is a better choice, but the fit is a major problem!

I am about 30% to 40% finished with my 1/48 MH-60L Blackhawk (Italeri and Revell mix), so I was going to post some photos after I finish the complete model. So far I did extensive detailing on the cabin roof and also built functional fast-rope system (they slide in and out just like in reality). I am also thinking of fabricating fire-extinguishers and might also add some electrical wiring and some additional small (5.56mm) ammo drums for M-16s and AR-15s. Also I am trying to find a couple of MP-5s for the pilots (Mike Durant used them to hold off the enemy when downed), and looking for 1/48 pilots to buy as well. So far I have nearly completed entire cockpit and cabin (all painted and ready to go into the fuselage halves).

I will also post detailed steps and problems so that if someone wants do build one they know what to look out for. I am hoping to finish it within the next 10 weeks.....wish me luck.

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Delta force i have a few 1/48 pilots with the helmets used by durant and his crew.i dont need them any more due to the fact that me bird that i am about finneshed with is crashed.

LB

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

ya , you can propably get them at your local walmart they came with my 1/48 uh-1c or huey hog by revell.it is about $10to12 US dollars not to bad for the model included.i have searched around before for 1/48 for an mh-60k but no luck.only place i have found 1/48th is with kits.Also what all detail did you add to the roof did you use styrene?

Thanx

LB

Yeah thanks for that.........I'll look around for those.

For the roof I used thin pieces of styrene (strips...manufacturer: EVERGREEN StripStyrene), one set of 1mm by 0.25mm and the other of 0.25mm by 6.3mm (to convert to inches just divide by 25.4). I refered to one of the cabin photos (ARC ---> walkaround----? blackhawk....one of the Everett McEwan photos). All I had to do first is to lay out the support beams (use 1mm x 0.24mm for the beams), follow the photos and approximate the spacings. With a wider pieces fill out parts that cover the beams. Its sort of hard to explain.......so try to follow if you can.

For the Fast-Rope system, I used one rectangular scrap piece of styrene and other 2 tubular pieces, wrap 4 strips around the rectangular part (2 on left and 2 on the right so that the tubes can go through). Glue 'U' shaped piece at the edges of the tubes so that the ropes can pass thru. Afterwards put the 2 tubes thru those thin wraped styrene pieces around the rectangular part and glue it to the cabin roof. I know it's hard to understand what I've just said, but if you refer to the photos, you'll know what I am talking about.

I will also post detailed steps and problems so that if someone wants do build one they know what to look out for. I am hoping to finish it within the next 10 weeks.....wish me luck.

Hello Delta force

Hum..;I want to build one :lol: :) :D

Norbert

Good for you man.......but you gotta have a lot of patience if you gonna build the Italeri's edition. The fit is a MAJOR problem......NOTHING fits! I mean it will fit eventually but u gotta do some sanding...well a lot of sanding!

Tips for the build (I've only build just about half....so there will be more tips later):

-sand down the back wall in the cabin so that everything fits without bending....especially the floor

-sand down inside the cabin (fuselage part where it holds inside of the cabin so that it would fit fine)

- Italeri decals SUCK! they are too small......go for the REVELL 1/48.....they have 'all glass panel' looks awsome

- You'll have some major filling to do when you add the part that joins the angled hydraulic cylinder to the wheel with the fuselage.

Thats all I can think of for now......you'll have to do some work on just about every part if you are perfectionist type of person....if not than it'll be an awsome kit from the beginning. I think its worth the extra effort cos at the end it looks really really good and accurate.

Good luck

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Delta Force,

i was doing some research before purchasing a 1/35 i found that academy makes a 1/48 uh-60l i will add the cc mh-60l conversion and make venom.you should try making thunderstruck.hope you can find your pilot figs.also how long is your mh-60?

well thanx agian

LB