Hello Gents!

Time to show a little progress! Here's the plan-

seeing as it took me over 2 years to get the CF-18 done :cheers: I figure the only way I'll get more off the bench is to work on more than one kit at once. Seemed it would be even easier to build multiple versions of the same kit, so here we go.

I've started 3 Tamiya Vipers..kinda. Using two of the T-birds kits and one of the block 50 kits, I'm slapping together the following:

-A block 25 from the VTANG

-A block 42

-A Mitsubishi F-2A

The VTANG jet will be pretty straightforward. The block 42 will be an inflight display; I've decided I'm not going to use the Tamiya stand that comes with the T-bird kit. I'll put it on a brass pole on a custom base.

The F-2A is a conversion project. I've been thinking/planning this one for months...and I'm really psyched about it! :lol:

Here is a look at the 3 intakes coming together. The F-2 will use a "small" intake that I've bootleged from Jake Melampy :huh: . The profile of the F-2 intake is a bit deeper than the small Pratt intake; so that will require a bit of adjustment.

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann

100_4436.jpg

To prove to myself that I was really serious about hacking up a Tamiya Viper to make an F-2, I figured I better get an easier part of the project out of the way. Here I've cut away the back of the Tamiya tail, and am in the process of fitting the extended tail from the Academy kit. the rough fit is pretty good-much better than I expected. There are two blisters on the back and a position light. The blister on the top was hacked out from sprue and blended with Bondo..smoothed out with nail polish remover

Wow, I'm really looking forward to watching this project progress!! I've got a bunch of VTANG jet photos if you need anything to look at.

Hey, don't forget to change the centerline pylon if you're using the ECM pod. The ALQ-131 won't clear the ground without its special ECM-only pylon.

Jake

Wow, I'm really looking forward to watching this project progress!! I've got a bunch of VTANG jet photos if you need anything to look at.

Hey, don't forget to change the centerline pylon if you're using the ECM pod. The ALQ-131 won't clear the ground without its special ECM-only pylon.

Jake

Right! Thanks Jake..I built that third centerline pylon by rote :cheers:..Got a decent pic of that pylon?

Regards,

Pig

Here is a photo by Phillipe Colin of 384. This is the last Viper I ever flew, and the subject of my block 25 model. This is how it looked for my fini flight. Notice the non-standard camo on the base of the vertical tail. Also looks like the tanks are the lighter grey from the old 3-tone camo..

384.jpg

Yeah great builds coming up

Love to see how you tackle the F-2, I was thinking about using a academy viper we'll see how it turnes out

I'm looking foward to more progress.

Ps are you going to take the route the dutch guy used on his F-2 in 32nd scale or have you planned a different way on doing things??

Love to know

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Yeah great builds coming up

Love to see how you tackle the F-2, I was thinking about using a academy viper we'll see how it turnes out

I'm looking foward to more progress.

Ps are you going to take the route the dutch guy used on his F-2 in 32nd scale or have you planned a different way on doing things??

Love to know

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Hi Frederick!

I downloaded his article-and it was a big help. I have the luxury of starting from a better kit (Tamiya vs. Revell A-model) I'll borrow a technique or two from him; like how much to stretch the fuselage..but I'll cut it in different spots than he did. I also plan to do what re-scribing needs to be done.

The Hasegawa F-2 is proving to be a big help. I've got scale rulers in 48th and 32nd, so it's pretty easy to scale up the 48th scale Hasegawa kit. Also, the Hasegawa kit instructions have profile/top/bottom views that were easily blown up to 32nd scale at the printer.

I thought hard about using the Academy kit vs. the Tamiya-but decided to use the Tamiya as the basis for this conversion. Like Rodney Williams said; "start with the best possible kit" and go from there.

Regards,

pig

ok then i'll see how you about it, at first I was planning on using a hasegawa model but basicly that's the same amount of work as the dutch guy did

Anyway I'm looking foward on seeing this F-2 being build so that I have a second reference to work with when I ever do mine :D

I'm also planning on buying the kit from hasegawa however they are a PITA to find over here in europe

:bandhead2: also not that many heve been build here on ARC wich is wierd sice it is a cool jet to look at.

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs