Pete- are you referring to the Gunze Lacquer or the Gunze Acrylics? Personally I'd love to only use Gunze if it were easier to find around here. Their acrylics line is great with a lovely flat surface, the lacquers are super durable and I use enamel washes without worry. Nice thing about the lacquers is that you do not have to coat the model with future to prep for decaling. One less step in the long process... but it'll probably be easier to get your hands on the acrylics and they are great too- they have a nice scale effect.

Sheesh the guy builds a new modeling room and he goes all big-headed on us and does three at once, one being a major conversion. :D Sheesh Pete... how am I supposed to keep up with you? I'll be glad to get this itsy bitsy Albie done by the time you get these three monsters finished. Maybe I'll just shelve mine and watch yours instead.

Cheers :whistle:

Mike

See you at ROCON

Hey Andy, Skull, G-Dub, Burner and all!

Which lends the question: who is doing custom-decal work these days?

Warm regards to all...

Pig

Hey Pete, try migrant, that is Mike Grant, he may be able to help. People have been very satisfied with his custom made decals.

Cheers :lol:

Andy G

Edited by Andy Gudbergsson
Pete, not to get off topic but whatever happend to your 32nd T-38 project? From what I saw it was looking very sharp. Do you have any info on the Collect-aire kit? I was thinking about getting the kit and making it a T-birds to go with the Tamiya T-birds F-16 that I have. Erick

Hi Erick!

...That T-38 is actually 1/16th scale. I've set it aside to get a few Vipers done...but it's not dead~! Maybe I'll take a few pics of it to show where i am on that monster project <_<

The collect Aire kit isn't worth the $. I should know-I bought 2 site unseen, and will let them go on Ebay...I'd never sell them to a friend of mine!

Regards,

Pig

Hey Andy, Skull, G-Dub, Burner and all!

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! To answer Andy's question, and piggy back on Skulls advice-I'm thinking about scaling-up some 48th scale decals. I'm still in search of a particular Platz set that has eluded me thus far. Regardless, I'll need someone to do it for me..Any takers? Kursad? Bueller? Which lends the question: who is doing custom-decal work these days?

Regarding the "blues"...a quick trip to the hobby shop revealed that I'll have to do some mixing; or else I might have a look at the Gunze colors called out on the Hasegawa 48th kit sheet. I have no experience with Gunze, however :cheers:

Warm regards to all...

Pig

The Gunze colors are almost spot on. You might want to tone up the dark blue color though. Blue Angel's blue looks close to me. I will try out on my F-2B once my decals arrive.

Hello Gents,

...Jim! Thanks for the photos..I think you nailed the color-and the model looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

There are 3 things about the Tamiya kit that "just aren't right" in my opinion. The first, and most obvious, is the fact that Tamiya failed to include the canopy defog vents on the glareshield. Thankfully, Black Box came to the rescue with their cockpit set. Second-the AOA (alpha) probes on either side of the radome are way too big, and will need to be replaced. The third issue is somewhat more esoteric..

The detail on the slabs.

In my opinion, the slab pivot-point fasteners are overdone. When I see this kit built up, they always jump out at me as "too much". Also, the panel lines along the trailing edge of the slabs are also "too much". Granted-they may work for the block 50; but looking at the block 42 and 25, I just don't see them. I'm sure someone can find a photo or two to prove me wrong :D

Here's a pic of what I mean. I've filled the pivot point fasteners and trailing edge lines with Bondo. The Bondo will shrink a bit, which should be just about right for the fasteners. The fasteners do seem to be more pronounced on the F-2 however..

100_4457.jpg

...and here's a pic just for fun. Don't know if I ever showed you this.

This is the gun muzzle from a block 42 that my bud and squadron mate Dave "Kanga" Rue jumped out of when the motor took a dump. This part popped-off and went cartwheeling through the trees of South Carolina. I got to keep it..stripped it and re-painted it..

Regards,

Pig

100_4454.jpg

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann

OK...back to the F-2 paint:

...What am I missing here? The Gunze colors called out in the Hasegawa instructions are:

-#14 Navy Blue

-#72 Medium Blue

When I search my database and other vendors, these numbers don't correspond to blue..I get orange and dark earth?

****?

any one out there smarter on this than me? I'd rather shoot laquers than acrylics..

thanks

Pig

Wellll I used the Gunze #54 "Dark Blue". Yes it acrylic but thats what I used. As I said before one reason was health reason for my boy BUT the main reason is it was the easiest and closet match I coould get for the colors. Good luck finding a enamal/lacqure match, I'll be anxious to see what you come up with.

:thumbsup:

Jim

Hi Pig! Looking forward to following these builds. Loved the Hornet!

As for the colors, check out this link for Mr. Color:

Lucky Model

I've been wanting to build my Hase. F-2 for a while, and this is where I was planning on getting my paints.

Take Care

Brian

Edited by Bucky Katt

Hi Pete, You never told me the bailing out part! Nice work area...how about a few wide angle shots to show us the modeling empire? This is going to be a very timely build for me as I have an F-16 and just ordered an F-2A..both in 1/48 so I'm really looking forward to it.

So what did you decide on for the blower fan for the spray booth and the ducting?

ROCON is Sept 17

Bob

Hey Bob! :cheers:

...Good to hear from you! BTW..it wasn't me who punched out-that was Kanga..but I got a few parts to the jet he destroyed :D The model room is almost done; but I still need the spray booth and fan set up..

Anyway, Here's a bad photo of the F-2 dragchute. This was made the old fashioned way; with tissue and diluted white glue, and some Tamiya tape for the straps

ROCON-I'll see you there :banana:

100_4459.jpg

Hey Pete.

I'm not too crazy about acrylics myself, but I've used Gunze colors before and I thinned them with rubbing alcohol, works great had no problems what so ever, got the tip here on ARC, works good with Tamiya paint as well I hear. Won't hesitate to use Gunze again.

BTW do you carry Gunze at Wild Blue.

Cheers :banana:

Andy G

I will try to help a lil here.

Here are the Gunze paints as advised in the kit instruction sheet. #328 is a closer match I find but its my personal opinion

b.jpg

Here are the color samples. Not the most accurate with a camera, but will give you some idea.

a.jpg

Are you refering to the F-2 Instructions? If so they list both Lacquer and Acrylic. Or are you just saying what Pig asked for orginally?

Yes, the second part. And having looked at the color chart that Brian linked to and dreammh's example below, the FS15050 Blue Angel Blue does seems a better choice for the lighter blue.

Edited by David Walker