Jon

I'm not aware if any type has been selected yet. Rumor had it the HH-47G was the favorite by Rumsfeld and at the time the CSAR mission was under the jurisdiction of AFSOC. The Chinook would allow AFSOC to retain some pure helicopters since the MH-53M is going away in two years and since an HH-47G wouldn't be seriously different from MH-47Gs, it would multiply SOCOM helicopter assets.

Now that CSAR is back under ACC's tent, the HH-92 is rumored to be the front runner. This is purley speculation on my part, but it could be a budget issue since ACC would rather have Raptors than helicopters. Space Command is looking for bigger replacements for their HH-1Ns they use at missile silos (and in the Katrina SAR last year) and AMC is needing hack helicopters and those two commands are rolling their requirements into one type. No one I know can forsee HH-47s flying the silo support mission, and there's been some speculation that this requirement will roll into CSAR-X - making the HH-92 a very attractive candidate to be a jack-of-all trades type to fill the roles of ACC, AMC and USAFSC.

I'm expecting final selection of the competition between now and October, has the HH-92 been selected as the winner?

Edited by Trigger74

It is a beautiful acft.

There is an S-92 hear at the school house at Ft. Eustis, that is doing some flight testing. The S-92 was bumped from the competition for the new Presidential helicopter. It lost out to the US-101 (EH-101 Merlin). And that is a sore spot with the crew about that subject! It still has Experimental stenciled across the entry way to the cabin. It is a cross between a blackhawk and a CH-53. It had the dynamic systems of the Blackawk albiet heavily upgraded performance. The rest of the body is laid out just like the Sea Stallion. It has a rescue hoist, fairing for the inflight refueling probe, three abreast seating and a ramp out the back. I do not know if I can get over to take pictures or not as it is parked in the AATD hanger and you can't take a camera in there.

Edited by Dr. Plastic
The HH-92 is being offered to fulfil the USAF's CSAR-X and Common Vertical Lift Support Platform helicopter missions. The former project includes 141 replacements for the USAF's HH-60G combat rescue helicopters, while the latter involves 66 aircraft that will replace the UH-1N's used for VIP and missile field support duties.

Yeah...I knew it.... :thumbsup:

I just hope it's up to the task. I know it just wouldn't be the same to have a non-Sikorsky Jolly Green Giant, but it's the smallest and has the least service history of the three CSAR-X contenders.

But hey, at least the V-22 isn't under consideration!

Edited by Trigger74
I'm expecting final selection of the competition between now and October, has the HH-92 been selected as the winner?

I read the decision was delayed until November and no decision has been made yet on the platform.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story.php?f=1...925-2009852.php

But if the HH-90 is the front runner for some reason, DARN IT! I want the US-101 to be the one for CSAR-X! If not, then I would accept the HH-47 as the one per conversation with Trig. HOWEVER, then I'd still want the US-101 Merlin to fulfill the 66 or so CVLSP requirement. Nothing set in stone just yet.

I read the decision was delayed until November and no decision has been made yet on the platform.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story.php?f=1...925-2009852.php

But if the HH-90 is the front runner for some reason, DARN IT! I want the US-101 to be the one for CSAR-X! If not, then I would accept the HH-47 as the one per conversation with Trig. HOWEVER, then I'd still want the US-101 Merlin to fulfill the 66 or so CVLSP requirement. Nothing set in stone just yet.

Yeah, this new Space Command/AMC requirement's going to push it back - no surprise, but big disappointment. HH-47 is probably the best of the three for CSAR-X whereas if you're not going to SLEP and transfer those old HH-60Gs to USAFSC/AMC, then either the HH-71 or HH-92 would be fine for that job. But with budgets being what they are and the status of CSAR within the USAF, they'll likely select one type to do all three and it'll be the cheapest one of the bunch.