Tomcat TPS in Tamiya Paint

On 3/26/2021 at 2:45 PM, RichardL said:

Pictures of two F-15A taken by another photographer at the same base under bright conditions:

318_fis_boss_bird.jpg.20007747912ae0456bb3ca12a9c56db2.jpg

The difference is more noticeable here.

Not same bases at all, first is PNW Mchord AFB and the latter is SW CONUS Luke AFB, definitely varying lighting.

14 hours ago, Waco said:

Cartograph has an entire ancient monastery of monks, high in the Himalayas, who spend their days using prehistoric sea glass eyedroppers and hand forged magnifying lenses to custom mix FS matched inks. They carefully grind rare, endangered flowers and powdered white rhino livers, and drop by drop ensure 99.7% color accuracy of their inks to the FS595 chips (not the fan deck, you neanderthal!). Once the color is perfectly matched, it is drizzled across the bosom of an unwashed virgin and hand dripped into tiny platinum tins that are then shipped to Italy for production. Only the highest quality decal companies are allowed access to these perfectly matched FS decal inks.

Violating OpSec and giving away trade secrets. This is how the terrorists win and why puppies die.

32 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Violating OpSec and giving away trade secrets. This is how the terrorists win and why puppies die.

It’s okay, he left out the baby seal part. 

15 hours ago, B-ONE27 said:

Not same bases at all, first is PNW Mchord AFB and the latter is SW CONUS Luke AFB, definitely varying lighting.

Wait, did you take that picture?  How did you know it's Luke AFB?  The mountains in the background?

On 3/25/2021 at 1:20 AM, RichardL said:

Okay, let's remove the paint brand and color from the equation for the sake of discussion and solely focus on decal color in the scenario below:

I'm doing a commission build under a tight delivery deadline for a Tomcat pilot, and he handed me a photo of his aircraft taken in a specific timeframe to replicate:

f-14b_vf-143.jpg.b219199d8bc01c1a72cac6f8123091aa.jpg

The pilot knows the exact color of his squadron emblem on the vertical tail very well, which is black, since he has seen it up-close multiple times in real life.  He also cares about the colors of the other markings on the aircraft.

The aftermarket squadron emblem decal for the vertical tail purchased for the build is not black but dark gray on arrival for the same aircraft in the same timeframe, as shown below:

pukin_dogs.png.5f1badf0acfd61bba9cd662de15bdea4.png

What will happen if I deliver the completed model to the client with the dark gray emblem on the vertical tail?  Assume the client/pilot is not color-blind.

Ponder the answer to this question for a bit while I go get more popcorn.

I would have thought, considering the conversation we had in the past regarding colours, this would have been right up your street regarding the scale effect of colours.

If that emblem has only ever been black and it appears to be grey what colour would the rest of the aircraft look like?

2 hours ago, RichardL said:

Wait, did you take that picture?  How did you know it's Luke AFB?  The mountains in the background?

Dude, those F-15's are two different aircraft. You're comparing the colors on two different aircraft and trying to claim it's just the light that is making the difference, guess you don't understand weathering and sun bleaching of paint at all.

How long are you going to keep trying to fool everyone here with your crap, so far you ain't doing that great, might want to up your game some.

Here's a hint, how can you tell those F-15's are different aircraft, look at the demarcation lines between the two grays, they're different on from one another. If those two photos were of the same aircraft the demarcation lines would match perfectly.

Edited by GW8345

I'm finding this tread alternatively infuriating and hilarious (thanks for the gouge on the team in the mountains mixing colors for us all🤣). I hate to say this as someone who gets AMS himself, but everyone just relax! Build the best model you can, but at the end of the day, its just a model.

• 7 months later...
On 8/30/2006 at 3:53 AM, BadCop said:

From Vallejo Paints chart...

FS 36320 = XF22 RLM Grey

FS 36375 = XF19 Sky Grey

FS 35327 = XF20 Medium Grey

I hope this Helps

Trent.

Using Vallejo paint charts as a reference is bound to go wrong. Vallejo can't even match their own colours to acceptable real life standards.

Jens

• 1 year later...