Revell F-14D Tomcat Build

Hey All,

Though I don't have the time to do it, I have started working on an F-14D Tomcat. Why, well, why not...

I think I'm gonna do it as a Line Bird from VF-31 during OIF using some TB decals. My wife was a nuke on Lincoln during their marathon OEF/OIF deployment so I think that is what I'm gonna go with. Kit is the Revell F-14D cause I don't want to use a Hasegawa bird from the stash until my skills improve some. I think I'm gonna do most things from scratch except for the LANTIRN pod, bombs and the drop tanks. I've got a couple Bombcat sets from Black Box and other aftermarket stuff, but I think those can wait for a later kit....we'll see.

I'm not going for all out crazy detailing or super accuracy, more just a skill building exercise that will hopefully look nice in the end. Comments and suggestions are appreciated. Here are a few pics from the first couple night's work...

overall.jpg

Overall view...rescribed the panel lines (a couple of times)

ipdetail.jpg

Pilot and RIO instrument panels after some scratchwork. I realise it isn't perfect, but once some paint is on it it should be good enough for government work.

ejectiondetail.jpg

Decided to get crazy and detail the backs and tops of the ejection seats (ref the DACO book). Left is the basic kit seat while right is the seat with all the detail added to the back...hard to see since it isn't painted yet.

aftdetail.jpg

Detail at the rear where I cut away some plastic to allow me to correct the shape for the "D". I ultimately tweaked the shape from the original mark shown here.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche

Colin,

Thanks for the comments. I did go ahead and tear out the meshing gear for the wings. Still have to cut the slots, but I haven't really touched the wings yet except for the initial hacking.

I'm still thinking about how to do the collision lights. Could be kinda tricky...we'll see.

Cheers,

Dave

Colin,

Sounds like a good idea. I should probably have one or two floating around...should be pretty cheap to grab at the store too. Hadn't thought of it, but now that you mention it, I remember hearing it here before.

Cheers,

Dave

Not too much new work worthy of photos. I have cut open the access ladder space and the step areas. I've also started work on the second ejection seat. I have started hacking up the Phoenix pallets to allow for my scratchbuilt bomb racks. I was considering scratchbuilding the BOL rails, then I decided I might use the Black Box ones. When I started looking at the BB ones, it seemed like the canisters at the front are too small in diameter...anyone else have thoughts on it? Still trying to decide on a weapons load too. I'll get some more work done and post some more pictures later tonight hopefully.

Cheers,

Dave

Not too much new work worthy of photos. I have cut open the access ladder space and the step areas. I've also started work on the second ejection seat. I have started hacking up the Phoenix pallets to allow for my scratchbuilt bomb racks. I was considering scratchbuilding the BOL rails, then I decided I might use the Black Box ones. When I started looking at the BB ones, it seemed like the canisters at the front are too small in diameter...anyone else have thoughts on it? Still trying to decide on a weapons load too. I'll get some more work done and post some more pictures later tonight hopefully.

Cheers,

Dave

Try Darren Robert's Steel Beach Bombcat sets. You can get them from Spruebrothers.com

I'm also currently building a VF-31 tomcat form OIF, using the Hasegawa kit. Rock on.

What bird from VF-31 are you gonna do? I'm thinking 110 or 111 maybe. I've pretty much decided on 2 AIM-9s, 2 GBU-12s and a GBU-16 for the load. Might add a Sparrow or Phoenix to the mix. Still up in the air.

Cheers,

Dave

I think it's 100 with the black tails I'm going to do.

I'm loading up a GBU-24 and a JDAM in the tunnel. Phonix & Sidewinder on one side, LANTRIN on the other side. Love the mixed, non-symetrical loads.

Someone did a 1/32 version of a very similar load a few days ago on the main page. Looks sharp.

Well, I've had some time to get some more work done and take some pictures.

Thanks for the comments so far. Manuel, I have watched your build very closely and have been very impressed.

Based on the fact that the movers pack all my stuff in a few days, I have confined myself to work that doesn't require me to buy new supplies (such as paint pens to detail the instrument panels). I'm pretty sure I have settled on a loadout of 2 Sidewinders, LANTIRN, 1 Sparrow, 2 GBU-12s and 1 GBU-16 although I might substitute a Phoenix for the Sparrow (even though it wouldn't really be accurate for VF-31 towards the end of their OIF cruise).

As I mentioned before, I have decided to scratchbuild alot of the stuff for this bird. This is in spite of the fact that I have a pile of Black Box and Steel Beach items for F-14s. I intend to use those items on the Hasegawa kits I have in the stash. Only aftermarket items will be the bombs (HAS weapons set), decals (Twobobs), IFR probe and well (Steel Beach) and drop tanks (undecided, have a couple different ones). SO, what does that leave for scratching...all the coockpit stuff, the LANTIRN Pylon, all the bomb racks and any other detail I want.

So, enough of the talking, how 'bout a pic...

naca.jpg

I cut open the naca vents and backed them up with sheet styrene to try to get a more realistic look. Still have to clean it up and rescribe the piece.

reardetailmore.jpg

I cut some pieces of sheet styrene to shape for the engine fairings. Once I get the top and bottom halves together, I'll finish sanding down the putty.

More to come...

Cheers,

Dave

some more...

I mentioned scratching bomb racks...

rack.jpg

Here is a pic of the one finished rack in place on the pylon. You can see I cut out the pylon and put a backing into it. I will add the wires and whatnot later. I figured I will scratch one more and then cast a couple in resin for this and other Revell Birds... sorry the pic isn't the greatest...

tubdetail.jpg

I have been working in the cockpit some more too. I added the prominent tube in the After cockpit and finished the back wall in the forward cockpit. I sanded a piece to shape and fitted it in the slot. I then sanded the whole thing until smooth...next time I'm gonna go the easy way and just cut a piece to shape for the entire back wall and call it good.

You live you learn...

Cheers,

Dave

Final set...the crazy Dave thing...why did I do this...heck I don't know...but I decided to build the little canopy latches that go on the sides of the cockpit out of sheet styrene...here they are sitting on the DACO book.

latches.jpg

Once I got them cleaned up some, I added them to the cockpit. I painted parts of them black to make them stand out for the picture and for further clean up...

tublatchesin.jpg

I taped the tub in place to get a proper fit. You can also see the backside of the tube that goes behind the RIO that I added and the steps I cut out for having the ladder down. It was an absolute PITA but I think it will be worth it in the end...who knows, we'll see I guess.

Cheers,

Dave

Only aftermarket items will be the bombs (HAS weapons set), decals (Twobobs), IFR probe and well (Steel Beach) and drop tanks (undecided, have a couple different ones).

I'd also recommend the Steel Beach main wheel halves, as the kit's are only accurate thru about 1981. :cheers:

Great work so far! Looking forward to following your progress. B)

Daniel

Daniel, thanks for reminding me about the wheels. I still have to order the replacements.

Chris, thanks for the comment.

I got some more done today while overloading on football and volleyball and preparing to move. Funny how, as I get closer to having to pack everything, all I want to do is work on this kit.

exhaustinside.jpg

I put the engine exhausts together today and added strips to the inside to cover all of the crap inside and give a little more realism (I think) to the exhausts...next time I am going to use thinner sheet for it though...this is .0015 inch...next time .0010 I think

lantirnandbol.jpg

I have also been working on the LANTIRN pylon and the BOL rails. I intend to cast the pylon in resin so I have copies for other Revell birds. I still have to fish the detail on the pylon and sand the upper half of the pylon to shape. I'll cast them separately so I can use the upper pylon for a dual sidewinder mount also. Above the kit 'winder is my initial stab at a BOL rail. Failing to follow the "measure twice, cut once" rule, I somehow managed to come up with a rail that was too long. The hatched area shows the chunk I am gonna cut out. I'd really appreciate comments on the BOL rail. There is still a bunch of detail I need to add, but I think overall it is ok at the moment.

In the next installment...nose gear doors...

Cheers,

Dave

Ok, now the nose gear doors...

geardoordrill.jpg

First, I drilled all the way around the vent I needed to move...

geardoorventinhole.jpg

After the vent was out, I made the new hole for it in the proper place. I sanded the vent to fit the hole and put it in. I sealed it up with CA to fill the gap. I also cleaned up the hole it came out of.

geardoorneardone.jpg

A piece of plastic sheet, cut to shape was inserted into the hole and sealed in with CA. After everything has a little time to cure, I'll sand everything down and add the oval hump like I already did on the starboard side door...

I'll end this post with a shot of my Fleet Submarine "Fleet", because I can...I also put it in "General Discussion" for a change of pace...

dustysubssmall.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Well, not too much to add at the moment...no new pics. I'm almost done with the second bomb rack, so I will make a mold and cast them once I get to Groton. I fiddled wth my BOL rail for a while, but I think I have come to the conclusion that I will use a set of the Steel Beach ones. I've continued detailing the LANTIRN pylon and I've started cleaning up the sparrow adaptor on the other side. I laid a layer of gray on the nose gear doors to check to make sure they were smooth...you can't even tell I cut the vent out and moved it...looks like it was molded that way. I'm getting antsy to do more, but I know I need to get back to the business of preparing to move...

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the comments, Henry. The submarines are actually what started me into scratchbuilding and doing heavy modifications on models. A lot of the work on those guys is scratch work so that they represent the boats I wanted to represent. Until I started with those guys, I almost never did any scratchbuilding (and certainly nothing that was good).

Cheers,

Dave

Well, I worked long enough to finish the second bomb rack...I also decided that I am going to use the Steel Beach BOL rails...don't care to fight with my own anymore at the moment. At some point I will go back and make my own 'caus I think that sctrachbuilding stuff is what really makes the hobby fun....I'm gonna try to scratch the IFR probe bay tomorrow....probably the last thing I will make an attempt at getting done prior to the move...

Cheers,

Dave

Well, I finally have to stop working on the Tomcat for a while... before I packed her up, I did some detailing on the seats. I shaved some plastic strips really thin and made the lap belts for the seats. I also started painting them. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture before I started so I can't really show what I did to make them. Once I finish the seats, I'll post some pictures.

So, you'll be hearing from me in a month or so once I am in Connecticut. I think I am gonna smuggle some of the pieces with me...maybe even the whole kit so that I can work on it during the month long trip across country...we'll see what the wife let's me get away with.

Before I go I will pose a question to the group. I'm considering cutting out the horizontal portions of the MLG wheel wells and redoing them myself (and ultimately cause me to do the same with the NLG well). Would it be worth the effort? It would really only be a skill-building exercise I think, but I am interested to see what people think. I build for pleasure and home display not for competitions...

Cheers,

Back in a month (with possible hit-and-run stops on ARC as I make my way across the country)

Dave

Edited by parche