Airbrush needles/Spray pattern

Hi

I have 2 Badger airbrushes: 100 FX side feed and a siphon feed 200NH.

Today whilst spraying with my 100 i noticed that the coverage area was a rather fine and the lines didnt seem to blend into one another giving a smooth coverage.I wondered if my needle was maybe a bit fine for spraying 1/48 fuselage/wings so was thinking maybe i could swop this needle out for the medium needle in my 200 NH.

Any thoughts as to if this is possible or why the spray was fine.

I pulled the a/b further back from the model but the coverage still wasnt as smooth as id liked.

Areas of the model where displaying the grey of the original plastic coming through.

Maybe i just need another coat?

Any advice folks?

With the Badger (and others I imagine) you must change both needle and head, so that the medium needle must be used with the med head. If your 100 has the newer style open back, you could use the longer 200 needle in the 100, and let the excess length stick out the back. Just make sure you always keep the head and needle the same size.

If your heads are not marked, you can look at the paint tip, the little fitting the needle comes through, and see which is the larger medium and smaller fine.

HTH, Ed