Airfix Fairey Firefly

If truth be told it's not as bad as my cack-handed photography makes out :) The vast majority of what I added is still clearly visable but lets just say I won't be using the kit transperancies, that really would make the last few months work a pointless exercise :rofl:

Now if you'll excuse me I'll away and slap a considerable quantity of filler on the joint line :wasntme: (This smiley should acctually be wielding a sheet of sandpaper on the fuselage!)

Edited by Col.

No photo for this update, just to say all the Italeri filler I shovelled into the ditch that was supposed to be the fuselage joint promptly fell off once I started sanding it down :worship: So, after a trip into town today I returned armed with some Revell filler that seems to be more cooperative. Time to sand off all the rivets on the hull, er...I mean fuselage, and get scribing now.

While having a look through the reference stash to determine panel line possitions I realised the upper cowling intakes were missing from the nose. Some work with a scalpel to form the channels and two plastic card pieces were fashioned and glued into place this morning. Leaving everything to dry during the day allowed me to sand them into shape this evening, as well as reshaping the overdone bulges on the side cowling panels.

Nose.jpg

While I had the filler out the inaccurate arrestor hook channel and stupid-looking representation of the fabric rudder were filled in. A roof has also been made for the wheel well and glued in. It was around this time I realized I'd forgot to glue in blanking plates for the exhaust manifold openings before closing the fuselage halves :worship:

Fin.jpg

I swear to God, every time I look at this kit I find more things that need fixing or fabricating. Makes me wonder what aircraft Airfix used to measure up for this kit, 'cause I doubt it was a Firefly :worship:

Mmm, Special Hobby....

Been busy again :redx:

Got the tail surfaces sorted out and on, same with the upper wing panel...

Uppersurface1.jpg

which in turn lets me get started boxing in the wheel wells. Arrestor hook and it's well is sorted as well.

Undersurface.jpg

Feels like I'm making good progress now, guess I should quit whining about fit and accuracy issues and get on with it :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, never tried CA glue for gap filling, get the feeling this is the ideal project for an experiment though :wasntme: Cheers Patrick.

So Jochem, after some delay here's the latest progress,

P1010017.jpg

Finished the structure of one main wheel well, almost done with the other. Next up is the main leg bays that I'll build into the underside of the wing lower surface. Although there is still plenty of little details to add all over the airframe I feel finishing the u/c wells will be a major turning point in this project.

Cheers lads,

Greg, it's just a cheap snapshot type camera but I'll try to crop and enlarge a few shots.

Mark, you and me both mate :worship: Really enjoying the build although I'm always mindful of the time constraints. With any luck I'll get a lot done over the holidays to bring her back up to speed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back to work after the festive break so here's how she looks now.

P1010045.jpg

The outer wing panels put up something of a fight but the usual tactic of smothering the joint with filler until it blended in worked again. There's some bits of sprue glued into the holes for the bomb-racks as I was going to leave them off, so that can dry overnight and I'll finish sanding everything smooth the morn.

Next up will be detailing the wing root fairings, then the dreaded rescribing.

Cheers Al, got a little more done to the Fillerfly again today but nothing worth photographing. Glued on the ailerons earlier and had to pack quite a bit more filler into the gaps created by Airfix's attempt to provide working control surfaces.

Hey Greg, how many days left to go :blink:

Cheers Greg, guess that's us down to 20 now. Eek!

Got the ailerons on, along with more filler :rofl: , and started scribing all the panel detail. Once that's finished there's quite a few little airframe details to add before it's time to think about the canopies. I'll post a photo once I've a bit more to show.

Cheers Doc, love your Swordfish BTW, very nice. can't wait to see the diorama you have planned.

Here's the latest progress on the Fillerfly. Rescribing is done and radar/fuel pods added. Time for the little airframe details and sort out the canopies. Thought I'd add the box-top to prove it was sold as a Firefly and I haven't been working on some sort of Focke-Wulf by mistake :angry:

P1010003-2.jpg

That walkaround has answered a few questions lurking in the back of my mind and inspired a bit of detailing this evening.

P1010003-3.jpg

Added the wingtip nav lights, leading edge landing light, scribed a few more panel lines, the lower cowling louvers, exhaust flame blanking plates, wing-fold steadying braces and some extra plastic to correct the shape lost at the wing leading edge root. Also added filler to improve the shape of the canopy before I attempt to mould new parts.

A visit to my local model shop resulted in the purchase of Tamiya masking tape and an aerosol can of TS-26 white, a tin of Humbrol #90 and some clear plastic sheet. No wonder they're always pleased to see me :nanner:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok chaps, confession time. Since the last update I've had only one burst of a couple hours to do any work on this one. Various work-related issues have kept me from getting any time to do anything either model or art related so it's time to throw my cards on the table and admit defeat. Ambition got the better of ability on my part and while I've really enjoyed working on her alongside all you guys and watching you turn out some inspirational stuff I'm just sorry I couldn't post an RN machine in the finished gallery to compliment all the US kit.

All that I can add is to say thanks to Greg for putting in the work to give us the chance to take part in this GB.

Good Show on your part Col. even though you did'nt finish you were very active in the group build and for that alone I say thank you. :cheers:

Maybe we can see about moving your thread over to the Inprogress forum or the airfix GB where we'll be able to see your work continue. :cheers: