Guys-

Sorry I haven't been very active in the forum much lately. With work, the sunset models, the decal biz, and life in general, things have been quie busy, chaotic at best.

I've got all the models fully assembled except for 1, and I'm hoping to get it finished in the next few days, but things are looking a little grim for it. I will finish the kit, and the original owner will still recieve their tomcat piece. I believe HJ said there were like 40 tomcat pieces, so everyone who participated should get one.

There were a couple of squadrons who haven't got represented at this point, and I'm going to knock out one of them over the holiday. A couple of the squadrons he wasn't concerned with, so I was willing to let them go.

I'd like to say, I can't thank everyone enough for pulling together and making this happen, and thanks to Dave Parsons for allowing me to take the lead on this project and make it happen.

For every participant who built a tomcat for the sunset, I will be giving out a free comp sheet of your choice. I'll have more details after the sunset on that. I realize that doesn't cover your kit costs or the time you all put into your models, but I hope it does show my appreciation for what everyone has done.

Thanks again everyone!

^^ What he said. ^^

It's nice that there's a contest involved with this, too (for the people that win, anyway), but I knew going in I had no chance at that part of it. But it was just a great privilege to have a chance to pay tribute to one of the most iconic aircraft to ever take to the skies, along with the men and women who flew, maintained, and otherwise supported her.

Ghostriders, baby! B)

Daniel

And thank you for all your tireless efforts organizing the whole thing, Brian (not to mention all the final assembly you've been doing). If everyone else is getting small Tomcat pieces, you oughta get a whole jet. :blink:

Brian:

Our hats off to you, friend, for making this opportunity available to us. It was totally an honor to build a Tomcat for this momentous occasion...and that I got to do my fav squadron to boot!

(Kind of ironic, the "Pukin' Dogs"...we used to have a Great Dane, Caesar, and one time I saw him pukin' out in the back yard, and I instantly thought of the griffin that adorns VF-143's tails...)

Thanks Brian for heading this up. And I know you've put in a tremendous amount of time repairing and re-building Tomcats! I echo some of the other coments as, for me this wasn't about a contest. It was a chance to represent and honor such a damn sexy workhorse of the Navy and I was proud to contribute a jet of my much beloved squadron!

Also, there's still time to find the remaining squadrons. It would be a real tragedy to have an incomplete collection because some people didn't live up to their committment. I've got a spare, built jet that I can repaint and remark. What squadrons are missing. Let's finish this thing off with style!

-brian

So every squadron is re-covered now, right? If so--awesome! :banana:

I think some extra 'thanks' and admiration is due to the guys who stepped up at the last-minute and plugged some of those very-late-in-the-game-discovered gaps. Colin, tomcatter727, phantom, Shinigami, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting. Really nice job! You guys saved Christmas!--err, I mean, Sunset. Or, the model display at Sunset. Or whatever it was. :wacko:

Anyway, kudos! :cheers:

Daniel

I've never even seen pics of a VX-30 Tomcat. Were they late comers to the Tomcat fleet?

I'm amazed that some of you guys can bang out Tomcat models so dang quick. Its taken all my efforts to get as far as I have with just ONE bird. I guess practice makes for speed as you know where all the hangups are in the kits. :thumbsup:

Well, I only really built one kit specifically for the Group Build. It came to light that VF-211 was not represented, and I happened to have a VF-211 F-14A in the collection, so there was no question as to it going to Sunset.......

Well, you KNOW we've got you covered for at least the first round, then, right? :nanner:

I've never even seen pics of a VX-30 Tomcat. Were they late comers to the Tomcat fleet?

I'm amazed that some of you guys can bang out Tomcat models so dang quick. Its taken all my efforts to get as far as I have with just ONE bird. I guess practice makes for speed as you know where all the hangups are in the kits. :D

The Hasegawa kit DOES get easier after the first 10. :cheers:

Hey! I didn't buy (or build) them all in one year! :) Its taken a long time to build all the models I have done.

Mind you, I do have 2.9 more in the stash, the .1 (landing gear) just got mailed down to help some meathooked guy. :banana: Due to the fact my model was attacked by dead bears, or I didnt use enough foam chips.

I'm blaming the bears!!!!! :D

Edited by phantom