Burnished metal colour

To give the metal a burnished appearance, you can use a cotton swab, tissue paper, or fine cloth and graphite powder/pencil lead to darken certain areas to give them a burnt, polished shine.

Burnished isn't the color itself, it just means smooth, polished, or glossy.

Edited by Horrido
To give the metal a burnished appearance, you can use a cotton swab, tissue paper, or fine cloth and graphite powder/pencil lead to darken certain areas to give them a burnt, polished shine.

Burnished isn't the color itself, it just means smooth, polished, or glossy.

Understood, but what would the metal colour be they refer to in the painting instructions?

Silver , aluminium?

Man I wish I was home right now, there is an article in one of my old Tamiya mags that shows how to create this effect on a motorcyle muffler. The same idea works for the back of and F-100 or F-4. I think they say you use Tamiya blue clear and different shades of metalizers. But sorry I can't really remember.

I am traveling till Sunday so wont be any sooner, maybe someone can find the article to help you. If not I will look for it and let you know.

Regards,

Robert

Understood, but what would the metal colour be they refer to in the painting instructions?

Silver , aluminium?

Grab the pic (if in color) and paint to match. Go with shades of steel, but even that's going to change with heat, soot, cleaning agents, etc. What metallic colors are in your arsenal? Burnt metal, burnt iron, titanium, polished steel, dark anadonic gray, and exhaust are all colors I've used in the past. Make labelled paint chips for each metallic paint you have so you can mix, match, and compare. For exhaust nozzles, I go mainly with Testor's Model Master Metalizer paints, because I've found their delicate nature and ability to be brush painted and polished an advantage.

Man I wish I was home right now, there is an article in one of my old Tamiya mags that shows how to create this effect on a motorcyle muffler. The same idea works for the back of and F-100 or F-4. I think they say you use Tamiya blue clear and different shades of metalizers. But sorry I can't really remember.

I am traveling till Sunday so wont be any sooner, maybe someone can find the article to help you. If not I will look for it and let you know.

Regards,

Robert

Robert, we'd love to see that article. Let us know which issue it's in!

Robert, we'd love to see that article. Let us know which issue it's in!

I am currently in Merida, Mexico on business and will not be home till Saturday or Sunday. But the first thing I do even before kissing my dog and petting my wife :rolleyes: , I will find the article and forward it to you.

Regards,

Robert

Sorry guys havent been able to find the Tamiya issue with the article how to create the burnished metal effect. I know I have it, just have to find it. I am going to be home on vacation next week, I will do a deeper search for it then. I have a feeling its in my box of magazines that I put in storage last year.

Robert