1/48th Hasegawa AH-64A Apache

Hi All,

Here is my latest build, a 1/48th Hasegawa AH-64A Apache with an Aires cockpit, Isracast Peten conversion set, and some scratchbuilt stuff. the finish was done with mixed Humbrols for the sand yellow and brown, and mixed Model Master enamels for the gray. The wash is a Paynes Gray oil thinner mix. Decals are from Isradecal's 2003 IAF Helicopters set. The 30mm gun was detailed with wire, as was the main rotor.

For a more detailed look, see my in-progress thread here.

Comments and critiques welcomed as always.

DCP_4467.jpg

DCP_4465.jpg

DCP_4471.jpg

DCP_4468.jpg

DCP_4463.jpg

DCP_4476.jpg

DCP_4475.jpg

DCP_4477.jpg

DCP_4481.jpg

Cheers,

Alby

Looking very very good mate :)

Photoshop it into a picture, or take a picture with a suitable background, it'll look real. The TADS is just cool and the Hellfires look nice, especially the lenses :D

I bow to your superior skills, and dream of making something like it someday :lol:

B)

Alby,

She's gorgeous!

Two quick comments. Firstly, I'm not sure if Petens have this, but the IsraDecal Saraf sheet shows the stabilator blast deflectors on the stabilator undersides. Basically it is just rubber matting that protects the stabilator from rocket backblast. IsraDecal suggests painting it, the Twobobs sheet actually provides decals. That, and the radar altimeter antennas (3 of em) need to be painted dull yellow for bare fiberglass. That's the large square and two round antennae on the underside of the doppler housing at the tailboom root.

Fantastic job!

Jon

Ciao Everybody,

Thank you very much for the compliments, glad you guys like the build.

Alby,

She's gorgeous!

Two quick comments. Firstly, I'm not sure if Petens have this, but the IsraDecal Saraf sheet shows the stabilator blast deflectors on the stabilator undersides. Basically it is just rubber matting that protects the stabilator from rocket backblast. IsraDecal suggests painting it, the Twobobs sheet actually provides decals. That, and the radar altimeter antennas (3 of em) need to be painted dull yellow for bare fiberglass. That's the large square and two round antennae on the underside of the doppler housing at the tailboom root.

Fantastic job!

Jon

Hi Jon,

I appreciate the kudos and comments. The pics for four different Petens that were used for references did not have the blast deflectors installed on them. Being that the Saraf is arriving directly from Boeing already in IDF/AF colors, it has the factory applied blast deflectors, where as the Peten is being repainted at SDLM in Israel (they didn't bother with reinstalling the deflectors).

No problem with the antennae, A little time and some paint will fix that (or decals from the DosRobertos sheet).

I appreciate the compliments, and thanks again for the info!

Cheers,

Alby

Edited by Alby Moore
JDAM!!! That looks nice Alby!!! Love the paint job! :blink:

Was the last pic shot in natural light or artificial light?

Hi Ming,

The lighting in the last pic was provided by Ma Nature (same with the other pics, it was slightly overcast when I took them).

Alby,

Again can't see what gets pumped out of the factory next.What did you use for the backround in your pics?Thanks again.

LB

Hi Jake,

I am contemplating building an IDF/AF S-70 Yanshuf (Black Hawk). As for the background in my pics, it is two sheets of light gray posterboard.

Thanks again for your kind words everyone!

Cheers,

Alby

Alby,

Aha! I wasn't sure, but I guess it makes sense since the Israelis tend not to have any ordnance on the inboard pylons, they don't need the blast deflectors installed. I tried getting some pics of the radar altimeter antennae, but I forgot my camera today!

Had a really good day, though. Autorotating an AH-64D is kinda like riding on the back of a homesick brick. But it is fun!

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Alby,

I forgot to ask you what kind of wire did you use on you rotor head and mast?Did you add any detail to your tail rotor,and finnaly what did you do to detail the chain gun?Thank you for the help Alby.

LB