Question for the Airfix/Heller GB'ers

Well I have been asked more than once about this and have been pretty consistant with my answer of "no"

However, as this has become a memorial GB of sorts for both these great companies, I thought to ask...

"Is it an appropriate move to open the GB up to other non aircraft/space/SF Airfix/Heller kits in light of the news about the closure of Heller and Airfix?"

I originally posed this question in general discussion but it makes sense to ask it here.

Please let me know what you reckon?

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Not a problem for me Mike. These days I'm pretty much exclusively an aircraft modeller, but in my youth I'd build pretty much anything I could get my hands on (or got bought for me, more likely).

Opening up the subjects could show up some interesting models that I have fond memories of, some, like the Rescue launch which have an aviation connection anyway. It'd be nice if we could get a few 'classics' (eg the old fire engine / london bus) in rather than footballers or RAV4's though :-).

I'm all for it.

Steve.

I'd say a big yes for the inspiration gallery. For the actual group build, dunno, it's your call I guess since it's your group build. I won't argue for or against.

I think they would be completely appropriate in an inspiration/tribute gallery though.

My 2c worth says that you might want to keep it as-is. Heller already has a bajillion aircraft models. Airfix has 2.5 bajillion. If you take into account all other types you'll have 10.72 terajillion possible kits.

Any GB needs some limiting factor. Something is required to narrow the focus. I think the "flight" category does this nicely.

Of course, these are just general thoughts on the matter.

Well, not to be pedantic, but since this IS the AIRCRAFT Resource Center, then I don't think you need feel any ambivalence over the problem. Yes, I can see where a desire to pay tribute/homage to Airfix comes into play, but not at the expense of the mission statement of ARC.

Well, not to be pedantic, but since this IS the AIRCRAFT Resource Center, then I don't think you need feel any ambivalence over the problem. Yes, I can see where a desire to pay tribute/homage to Airfix comes into play, but not at the expense of the mission statement of ARC.

Agreed!

Stephen

Whilst it might be fitting to open this up to all models, i have to agree that it would be pertinent to restrict this build to aircraft only.

Once the position is clearer regarding the Airfix/Heller/Humbrol situation then we could consider a tribute if need be, but i am not against the idea of a complete catalogue group build if the powers that be are in agreement.

regards

Having the GB open to all Airfix/Heller kits sounded good initially to me but after a season of thought my opinion is to stick to aircraft with this one. I still like the idea but think it could get overburdensome for Madmike.

Later on, should the group truely be toast, we could do an entire brandwide build.

There's my (new) two bits,

Daryl J.

Ok

With some thought given to this, I have decided to allow any Airfix/Heller kit to be displayed in the Inspiration Gallery BUT only Aircraft/Aeropace/SF in the GB proper.

This maintains the original premise of the GB before the insolvency issues with both companies.

:D

MikeJ

Edited by madmike
Ok

With some thought given to this, I have decided to allow any Airfix/Heller kit to be displayed in the Inspiration Gallery BUT only Aircraft/Aeropace/SF in the GB proper.

This maintains the original premise of the GB before the insolvency issues with both companies.

B)

MikeJ

I think that sums it up nicely! Thanks! <_<

I was thinking of offering my Airfield Control Tower - however I can see that this is AIRCRAFT Resource Center, so will continue with my Hawk model.

Did I say I bought a digital camera recently - well hope to see results from it soon.

Cheers, Tim

Stick an Airfix WWII aircraft next to it - instant Airfix airfield scene.