Supermarine Spitfire F24

• 5 weeks later...

well, she's kinda stalled since the last update.... :thumbsup:

I've not had much time to build since then, and what modelling time I've had I've built & painted a 1/72 Revell Cromwell (I hope you can forgive my sin).

But your kind words have encouraged me to get stuck into her again tomorrow :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yeah. I just finished my TSR2 & Cromwell so now the Spit has my undivided attention until Telford :wasntme: This will be my 10th competed model this year (an all-time post childhood high) so I'm well up for finishing it.

There isn't much more to add from the last photo. Bit of filling & sanding, few more bits glued on. Expect photos later this week.

Oh yeah. I just finished my TSR2 & Cromwell so now the Spit has my undivided attention until Telford :D This will be my 10th competed model this year (an all-time post childhood high) so I'm well up for finishing it.

There isn't much more to add from the last photo. Bit of filling & sanding, few more bits glued on. Expect photos later this week.

Nev- you old seadog I knew you would come through! :wasntme:

Well, I wanted to prime her this morning, but its drizzling outside :) My cans are a bit cold anyway from being in the loft. Maybe tomorrow.

I needed a fair bit of filler at the wing root, and at a few other joins, but after the TSR2 its like a Tamigawa!

ip1ro4.jpg

I used plasticard to replace the piece that forms the upper flap either side of the fuselage. Just couldn't get it to fit. Had the same problem with the Airfix Seafire.

ip2rg7.jpg

Edited by Nev
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, we're cooking with gas now. Barring unforseen circumstances I expect to finish this baby in the next 7-10 days :D

Sprayed Halfords Yellow for the wing leading edges + prop tips. Having done it, I now think it would have been better to do this last rather than first.

ip3cb2.jpg

First coat of MSG on the bottom. I've just learnt the hard way that brush painting over a nice smooth gloss yellow ain't easy :wierdo:

ip4uq5.jpg

Note the funky blue paper background, so much better for taking photos :D

Well, things are cracking along now. Main camo paint has been put on.

ip5eq9.jpg

ip6fj8.jpg

Since taking these photos earlier this evening a couple of coats of Klear have gone on, so she's ready for decalling tomorrow :blink:

Spent several hours this evening applying the decals - always a favourite part of any model as that is when it really comes to life for me B)

ip7sd2.jpg

The decals - well they weren't the worst Airfix decals I've ever used, but they aren't brilliant either. Thin, but brittle, and slightly opalescent. At least they were in register, which makes a pleasant change. Shoulda picked up the Aeromaster sheet......

I sure hope that Airfix separating from Heller means they are able to put better decals in their kits

ip8sy0.jpg

Saturday will be the day for weathering and finishing touches. RAF far east spits tended to be quite chipped & dirty, so looking forward to trying a few new things on this.

Finished! 80 Squadron were the only RAF users of the F.24, originally in Germany, but then at RAF Kai Tak in Hong Kong. Following the start of the Korean War they received ID bands in case they were to be involved in combat, but that never came to pass.

final3na9.jpg

This one is probly my fave shot

final2da7.jpg

For the first time I used an artists silver pencil to get the a chipped paintwork effect - worked out quite well. Its a bit subtle and doesn't show up too well in my photos, but then again they say if you think you need to add more then you should actually stop :)

final4im8.jpg

This is one with the flash on. Kinda washes it out a bit, but you can make out my washes a little bit better. Again, they're very subtle and show up better to the naked eye.

final5xn7.jpg

One of the underneath, its a bit blurred tho :(

final6zn1.jpg

Last one, showing the lovely long lines of the F.24 compared to the stubby Seafire IIIc (built for the PACAIR GB). I'm pretty pleased with how this one turned out. I keep wanting to pick it up and fly it round the room making throaty engine noises :thumbsup:

final7nq5.jpg

Edited by Nev
I keep wanting to pick it up and fly it round the room making throaty engine noises.....

....I think we all do that at some stage Nev!

Just like to add my congrats to a great looking Spitfire and a superb finish. Subtle weathering is an art , less is more as they say, and I think you got it just right. :thumbsup:

Also nice to see the PACAIR Spit still looking good.

Good job Nev.

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester