Trumpeter Wellington

30 some years I’ve been building model airplanes and never have I found I more frustrating kit. In an attempt to glue the two fuse halves of my Trump Wellington I lost it. This is my first Trumpeter kit and it blows. Nothing would fit! All that internal garbage you can’t see just does not fit together! The fuse becomes a fat sausage that is impossible to glue together without 1/32†gaps. The installed nose turret leaves at lest a 1/32 gap on the bottom side, it’s to big for the opening in the fuse. So much for the kit, after three hours of messing around I broke the fuse over my knee, no more Wellington. And it felt pretty good!

I’ve never had this before, frustration to the point of snapping! No, I do not have any interrelated personal issues, I was simply really ****** at this kit. I’ve build many multi-media kits over the years and none was as bad as this NON-MULIMEDIA KIT!!!

Trumpeter can kisss off.

Yikes!!!

I'm about to start my Trumpy Whimpy, read a couple of build up reports already, with nothing like the problems you describe, apparently it all fits together very well?

There are a lot of internal parts, 3 or 4 bulkheads, if you don't get them right, or get them aligned right, it may cause problems? Not suggesting you did anything wrong ... just that your report is the first I've read of such fit problems ... did you really smash it over your knee? That's £50 down the pan :cheers:

I'm still looking forward to mine, all the dry fitting I've done so far looks good.

Thats really strange. Maybe there is a batch of kits that are defective or something, or maybe i just had a good one. Mine needed no filler or anything and went together very well. It seems a shame to bin a whole kit. I know your frustrations though, ive had similar kits.

Sorry it didnt work out for you.

better to test the fitting before applying cement, , unlike tamiya models, trumpeter & dragon kits sometimes have such problems, their instruction will lead you to the wrong way.

I nearly ruin dragon 1/72 nashorn if i follow its instruction

I've never done something like this building a kit and don't have a bad temper, I simply lost it. I kind of feel bad about it now.

I've built many multi media kits from Special Hobby, Classic airframes etc and they are not Tamagawa type fits? I've also read the reviews and they rave the kit is great and followed yours Phantom which looked great. Bad kit? I don't know. The front turret was exceptionally bad for me, it doesn't fit at all. It's away to wide for the fuse (no I wasn't trying fit the rear turret in the front). Oh well, there's $150 bucks down the drain!

I've also read the reviews and they rave the kit is great ....

Remember Crazy Don motto when it comes to kit reviews...if a reviewer starts saying bad things about a kit he risks his source of free kits....that might P-O some people but I know one manufactor who will go un-named who has cut off samples to a reviewer because of this....

Food for thought.......the best person to review a kit is YOU!!...

If ya want somethin' to blow your stack over, have a go at the FM Halifax. I picked up my Wellington an hour ago. Other than slightly overdone fabric and 250 parts(as a guess) for bombs, it looks ok to me.

chomper

If ya want somethin' to blow your stack over, have a go at the FM Halifax. I picked up my Wellington an hour ago. Other than slightly overdone fabric and 250 parts(as a guess) for bombs, it looks ok to me.

chomper

I have the Halifax, no contest/

I thought the same thing when I first started the Wellington "Hey this is not a bad kit" Did I get a bad one?

I have the Halifax, no contest/

I thought the same thing when I first started the Wellington "Hey this is not a bad kit" Did I get a bad one?

Who knows??

When I start getting bogged down by the Halifax, I put it away and work on something else. Then, when the urge hits me I pull 'er down and have another go. Worked on it today for about five hours and made some progress.

However, thanks for the heads-up on the fit. I'll have to keep my eyes open for those issues that you mentioned.

chomper

The spouse toddled out of the Kalamazoo contest Saturday with a Trump Wellington under her arm because she decided that I didn't get enough goodies from the vendors. Gee, I did pick up four or five decal sheets from North American Hobbies.

Here are the notes from the a quick test fit of the fuselage. Surface sand both of the mating surfaces and keep test fitting. There are some "tooling blocks" spaced out along the mating edges that need to go away. Also, shorten the locating pins or sand them flush, the pins are way too long and bottom in the holes. Also, make sure the receiving holes for the locating pins are flush with the mating surface. All of mine were higher.

The nose turret rides on a lip that allows for swivelling the turret. The curve in the lip may need a bit of correction to match the turret shape and also may need to be thinned a bit to allow it to seat into the groove on the turret. After doing this on the copy I have, the turret is almost a drop fit and fuselage halves mate together. Note: the turret is a real pain the what ever to keep in place while getting the fuselage together.

Overall, the kit looks good. A moderate amount of flash. Most of the smaller detail parts have noticable mold marks that need to be cleaned up. Sure wish I didn't hate painting ordnance so much cause there are enough bombs in the box to level Berlin.

Also, hopefully, someone is going to come up with replacement wheels to elimate the rubber tires. And, think seriously about replacement decals.

All in all, a more than buildable kit. The somewhat overstated fabric finish looks like it will be acceptable under a couple of coats of primer, paint and a flat finish.

Thanks sweetie, guess I'll be up from the basement in a couple of months.

Cheers,

Dave

http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04/wellingtonjh_1.htm

Jamie Haggo's attempt at the Trumpeter Wellington. It might be interesting to see his comments in the model magazine quoted.

I saw this model in the plastic at the Avon Show on 20 Aug (19th Aug next year, mark diaries now!) and it is impressive. :huh: Look forward to the article, particularly if he mentions the elapsed time it took to build.