Oboy, now I've gone and done it....

I had a lapse in judgement tonight.

:cheers: What have I done?!

Maybe it was the phase of the moon....

Maybe it was just my bad mood....

Maybe it was temporary insanity....

I got a hold of the razor saw and pin vise...

First I cut....

487001.jpg

Then I drilled...

487002.jpg

And then I sanded some....

487003.jpg

... and now I have an opened up transmission deck, aft avionics bays, survival kit bay and hydraulics panel.

Scratchbuilding the tranny... and the APU.... and ALL of the lines and wiring harnesses....

What have I gotten myself into?!

:cheers:

I've gotta get a LOT of wire. Hydraulic lines, electrical conduits, etc. there's TONS of crap back there. I think the next step is gonna be the VCR in the aft right avionics bay. We don't have DVD players yet, but we do have a VCR!

I'm not complaining about the number of Apaches I've got (10 in various scales, mainly 48th), heck I've got 22 Fw-190s in 48th scale sitting both here and in NY. But this is by far the most ambitious project I've ever undertaken. The fact that this is the one I like to fly the most of the 8 different Apaches that I've flown only adds to the desire to get it 100% correct. (Although Longbow Mech may not like this particular bird too much! :crying: )

Hey Jon this is one great idea. Me and you have talked about this project before and I am glad you are starting it and not me. There is only one aircraft you could be talking about and that is 87. No more compressor stalls today. It started up like a champ like nothin was wrong. We removed some plugs and sprayed cpc on them and it was good to go :thumbsup: Good luck on this one heck of a project.

• 4 weeks later...

As I'm typing this, I'm sitting on the beach in Destin, FL, so I can't take pics of my progress right now. BUT, I have made some progress. Painted the inside of the doghouse area and I've done a bit on the aft deck doors. Attached the mains to the fuselage halves and I'm contemplating whether or not to open the EFABs. I was planning on doing it up exactly as it appears when we walk out to it, so they're closed, but we have to open them to check on certain things, so I'm still undecided.

I'm using the Hasegawa Longbow kit, which is by far the best longbow kit out there. It does have its drawbacks though. You can only build a Block 1 aircraft OOB, so it takes some scratchbuilding to make a Block 2 bird (which almost all of the ones I'm flying are). Still, its far better than any other kit out there.

Jon

No, dont start casting something big until you understand it. Start simple. I am expirementing casting roof parts for a 1/35th H-60 (they are basically 2-D). I will see how they turn out. As for Jon...Dedication, Commitment...thats what it is...

Take care,

Austin

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Trust me I know to experament first,it's just like sayn' you don't get rich over night.Not bein smart when I say that either.I don't know what would be harder ever green or resin?

LB

LB,

Casting stuff in resin is good for small stuff, but if you're looking to do an entire aircraft interior, I would definitely use evergreen styrene. Its easy to work with. I do 99% of my scratchbuilding with Evergreen sheets and rod. It also works with model glue, where with resin you need super glue.

Casting an entire C-130 interior would be an incredibly difficult job that would be a task for even the most experienced resin-caster. I'm gonna try to build a T700-GE-701 engine and then cast it as say 4 separate pieces. It'll be my first attempt at resin casting.

LB, you didn´t even showed us some of the "simple" stuff, which makes me believe you didn´t even started to built one of your kits, and now you´re going into the real "Hooooahh"-stuff? One step after the other, focus on the things that are close to you, don´t aim too far!

HAJO

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Dude,I haven't even started it it yet,I just got it!I never said I started it.I am only just trying to figure out the material that works beat,some say resin some say evergreen.I will probably only go with evergreen cuase I am not used to resin.I am sorry but lay off. I am a slow worker when it comes to my models,I have to finnish my pavelow before I start this one. I might not really start till after the first of the year,it depends on how things work out. I said I would try and post pics of the sprues and soforth,and I will try,I will try and go through photo bucket.Now I know how some of you felt about me,and sorry for that.:whistle:

LB

Edited by LITTLE BIRD 117