...in with the new

thanks for the update on the gate guard. They have a Block 10 in front of 9th AF HQ and memorial lake at Shaw, and I recall seeing pics of it with the gear down and such before it was loaded on the pedestal as well. I wonder how much trouble it is to take an aircraft down, repaint it, and put it back up.

just so no one is misled by the tail # that is 79-0402, a Block 10 airframe (not 90-402)

I was gonna say, sheesh, putting a FY90 (block 50?) jet on gate guard duty would be wasteful to say the least!

I don't like the painted canopy either, but I expect iin time t'll look less tatty than a scabby and dirty clear canopy would. Anyone else amused by the spikes on the top of the tail to stop birds perching on it as well? :huh:

I was gonna say, sheesh, putting a FY90 (block 50?) jet on gate guard duty would be wasteful to say the least!

I don't like the painted canopy either, but I expect iin time t'll look less tatty than a scabby and dirty clear canopy would. Anyone else amused by the spikes on the top of the tail to stop birds perching on it as well? :blink:

Yeah Will,

I was looking at that at first thinking that there was something not right..

Oh yeah thats the Bird dischargers....

then I saw the Tail# and thought Oh great...

The Canopy, the demarcation of color...

Hey this looks like one of my nephews painted it...

:D

William G

If you guys go to Shaw, the pedastal jet is a Block 10 (79-0309) painted with a Block 50 number (93-0534) It was painted with the Block 50 number in memory of Maj Brison Phillips. His jet is represented on the upcoming Afterburner Decal Viper East Demo sheet.

11-26-04F-16A-1079-0309ShawAFB1.jpg

11-26-04F-16A-1079-0309ShawAFB2.jpg