RF-4EJ Photo Phantom

:D Perfect built :D

Though this is only a RF-4E, the RF-4EJ do not have a recce-nose.

Yes it does! The original RF-4EJ is a Japanese version of the RF-4E. After starting the Kai update programme some F-4EJ Kais were converted to RF-4EJ Kais without any external changes apart from the recce pods.

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G'day again,

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Re the ALQ pod, I did have 2 shots of RF-4EJ's where you could read the "USAF" titles. I thought it was kinda odd too, but you can't argue with pictures!

Adds a bit of interest, at the very least.

Cheers

M

Nice model Matt!!! Really inspiring!

Hate to nitpick but i think this is a RF-4E not EJ. RF-4EJ's are F-4EJ's with racon pod. I could be wrong but that seems to be what I've been reading.

RF-4EJ:

http://homepage1.nifty.com/KWAT/photo/jasdf/rf-4ej12.htm

http://homepage1.nifty.com/KWAT/photo/jasdf/rf-4ej2.htm

RF-4E:

http://homepage1.nifty.com/KWAT/photo/jasdf/rf-4ekai2.htm

Again sorry for nitpicking but i was just getting ready for JSDF gb! I hope you build something else for that! Again nice model!!!!

Hate to nitpick but i think this is a RF-4E not EJ. RF-4EJ's are F-4EJ's with racon pod. I could be wrong but that seems to be what I've been reading.

That's not correct (as I have mentioned earlier in this thread). The original RF-4EJ is a Japanese version of the RF-4E, i.e. a dedicated recce version with the rounded nose profile. After starting the Kai update programme some F-4EJ Kais were converted to RF-4EJ Kais, however no (or only very minor) external changes were made apart from mounting recce pods underneath the former F-4EJs.

Basically, the RF-4EJ was for the RF-4E what the F-4EJ was for the F-4E; the Japanese version.

If your sources state otherwise they are incorrect.

Regards,

Re the ALQ pod, I did have 2 shots of RF-4EJ's where you could read the "USAF" titles. I thought it was kinda odd too, but you can't argue with pictures!

Adds a bit of interest, at the very least.

Cheers

M

As long as you have the proof ... I'll just have to agree that it is a truly awesome build!! B)

• 14 years later...

Hey Matt,

This is an old (!!) thread, but I see you are still around, so delayed congratulations.

That's a stunning RF-4E, and I'm particularly impressed with how you smoothed out the rear Sparrow wells ... what's the secret?

Gene K

Edited by GeneK