Here's some pictures of the cockpit of my Tamiya Skraider kit, all painted up a few weeks ago now. I've actually closed up the fuselage and attached the wings, but haven't bothered to take any photos yet. It's going to be a completely OOB build, using kit decals.

A-1J001.jpg

Instrument Panel, simply used oodles of Micro Sol to get the kit decal to settle in nicely, flat coated and a bit of gloss clear for the glass

A-1J002.jpg

The cockpit tub. I added a bit of colour with a bit of red and yellow. I couldn't find any reference pics on the net, so I used a bit of restrained creativity.

A-1J004.jpg

A-1J003.jpg

And the side walls. More pics to come when I can dig out the camera.

Trent

• 3 weeks later...

I've made quite a bit of progress since the last update. I was having a real bad day when I was painting the SEA camouflage on this bird with a huge amount of stuff ups (fingerprints in not yet dry paints, stuff ups with blue tak masking) but have managed to salvage this...

A-1J005.jpg

Still in need of some touch ups, but not looking too bad.

Trent

Thanks Hector, Triet. I have used Gunze Acrylic Paints masked using the Blue Tak method. Here are a few more pics after a few touch ups.

A-1J006.jpg

A-1J007.jpg

A-1J008.jpg

Edited by BadCop

Wow Trent,

It looks great, I am building the same kit, but I made the mistake of mounting the gear and pylons prior to paint, so I am no in the middle of masking everything off.

Hopefully mine will come out as nice as yours.

Cheers

Ted

What me Karl? Make up Drama just to keep people interested? There's a dark secret behind this build - but I'll tell you next week! :cheers:

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I've added some post shading of the upper colours. It looks a bit stark for my tastes at the moment, but will hopefully it will fade a bit once I get the clear coats on.

A-1J010.jpg

A-1J009.jpg

Looks great.

Is it my imagination, the post shading does not appear to have come out on the tan sections, or is that just the camera playing tricks?

Have you managed to install the gear doors? I noticed you had them off. Neat idea.

It will be nice to see it all done.

Ted

You're right there Ted,

It doesn't look like the post shading of the tan has come out that well in the photo. You can see a bit more with the naked eye, but it definitely isn't as pronounced as has come out with the two greens.

I might see how it goes after add the decals and maybe add a little more post shading of a lighter colour then.

Trent.

Edited by BadCop

Now I've got the decals on and added a little more of a prominent post shade to the tan area of the aircraft. The Tamiya kit decals reacted weel to Micro Set and Sol and laid down very nicely, conforming well to all the panels lines, if coming out a little thick.

I've also had ago at using tissue paper and white glue to make the canvas shroud behind the seat. Mixed results I think, it looks a little too much like a spit ball globbed on the back. It'll do for now as a first go at the technique.

I've added the gloss coat using Tamiya Clear over the decals now, ready for a oil paint wash for the panel lines and undercarriage bays. As for the gear doors, I plan on adding them at the final stage. Test fitting them before gluing the wing together seems to show that they will fit, but it will be a tight fit, and might need some delicate applications of force.

Anyway - here are some pictures.

A-1J015.jpg

A-1J014.jpg

You're right Hector - the weathering is fun! First I used an oil paint wash to highlight the panel lines, and then I have added some exhaust staining using Tamiya smoke highly thinned. I've added a dull coat of Pollyscale flat, and removed the canopy masking.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

A-1J016.jpg

A-1J017.jpg

Hey Trent, that looks awesome mate!

Really like the overall finish you've acheived and some nice figure painting. Adding a pilot give a great sense of scale to this monster. So you will be busy with all that ordinance!

Look forward to seeing the Spad complete. :thumbsup:

Doc

Well, getting much closer now, with a bit of ordnance hanging off the wings. This bird looks much meaner with a full warload!

A-1J022.jpg

If you're interested in the story of an A-1 pilot during the Vietnam War, Here is an online book of a pilot's year in the war, mission by mission.

Thanks for the kind words, Doc, Triet, Ted and Hector. Finally it is completed. I've submitted some pics to Ed for the Website, but so you don't all have to wait, here's one of the them.

A-1J023.jpg