Hello all....I'm getting started today on the 1/72nd scale Mig-29 Fulcrum. I'll build it OOB, maybe with kit decals, though I have some other decals from Flex's CD that I might try out, I will see. I'll be going out there shortly with my Badger and start shooting the cockpit parts with Russian Interior Green (MM Enamel). Here's the boxtop:

Mig-29-Assembly-BoxtopPicture.jpg

Kewl...except you DON'T want MM Russian Interior Green for a MiG-29. That color was discontinued for use as the MiG-29 was starting. It is, however, widespread on every MiG back through the MiG-21PFM.

What you DO want is a gray, sort of medium gray, sort of neutral gray with a touch of bluish gray.

I'd already sprayed interior green....I like that color...but as explained on the other thread in Jet Modeling it's incorrect for the Mig-29, so I'll break out the medium gray and respray the pit parts. I haven't done anything else so this isn't too much of a problem.

I hope the fit isn't going to be too much of a bear. If it is, I've got the Airfix 727-200 kit ready to go, heck, I may start on that anyway. I need an airliner build.

Justin

Update: I've sprayed the cockpit Tamiya medium gray...and the cockpit coaming interior black. I've also used Fulcrum Gray on the landing gear parts. Now to work on the 'pit some more...I've gotten a pair of 1/72 True Details K-36 seats and I'll use one of them, painted black. I'll finish the cockpit and airframe, then prime it and decide what scheme I want....I'm searching for decal sheets. I've printed out some from Flex's CD and I like some of the schemes, but those decals don't look all that usable.

Mig-29-Assembly-PaintedPartsonTree.jpg

Justin. It is looking good though and once the first coat of paint is one, all will be covered up.

I have heard the Airfix Su-27 is one, or is the most accurate Flanker on the market in 1:72.

:whistle:

MikeJ

Justin. It is looking good though and once the first coat of paint is one, all will be covered up.

I have heard the Airfix Su-27 is one, or is the most accurate Flanker on the market in 1:72.

:D

MikeJ

First of all just want to say what a cracking job your doing on the MiG 29 mate :thumbsup:

Mike, the Su-27 is the most accurate shape wize but has serious fit issues, you'll need a BIG tube of filler if you can still find one. It's also somewhat basic in the detail of cockpit and u/c bays so be prepaired for lots of scratch-building if you want to get the best out of it.

First of all just want to say what a cracking job your doing on the MiG 29 mate :cheers:

Mike, the Su-27 is the most accurate shape wize but has serious fit issues, you'll need a BIG tube of filler if you can still find one. It's also somewhat basic in the detail of cockpit and u/c bays so be prepaired for lots of scratch-building if you want to get the best out of it.

Thought as much, well I have tamed two Rotodyne's, so they should not be too difficult!

I had a choice of the Esci or Airfix MiG-29's. I chose the former, so it will be interesting to see how Justin's build turns out construction wise.

:D

MikeJ

Here's the bottom of the primed fuselage. I still don't know what the paint scheme's going to be yet, but I am leaning toward an Iranian AF bird. East German or Luftwaffe bird is also a possibility. I may put this to a vote, depends on if I can secure the Hi Decal sheet (got a promising lead).

Mig-29-Assembly-BottomofPrimedAirfr.jpg

Okay, we have common ground there, Mike. I did the Esci, not realizing 'til too late that it was basically the Fujimi....forward fuselage is a disgrace, even if it's nicely molded.

My 1:72 Esci MiG-29, made way back when I knew no better and was experimenting with free hand camo using a single action A/B. not a good combination.

Ignore the decal feux pas.

mig29-02.jpg

:cheers:

mikeJ

Thanks madmike :thumbsup:

I struggle with freehand camo even with my double action airbrushes, I find that blue tack or other masking methods are mandatory for me. I wonder if the ESCI kit was put out before we had good info on the Fulcrum (like the Revell 1/72nd Flanker I saw at my hobby shop, it was a boxing from the early 90's).

Justin

Thanks madmike :beer4:

I struggle with freehand camo even with my double action airbrushes, I find that blue tack or other masking methods are mandatory for me. I wonder if the ESCI kit was put out before we had good info on the Fulcrum (like the Revell 1/72nd Flanker I saw at my hobby shop, it was a boxing from the early 90's).

Justin

I reckon that would be the case indeed.

The last time I tried freehand camo it truly backfired in my face. That Monogram Typhoon lurks in my kit graveyard now.

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Nice work! You've convinced me...I've got to build mine.

I used to have the same issues with freehand with my single action, but I've been using the same airbrush for 19 1/2 years now and have pretty well figured out how to get the most out of it...pity it took so long, but for many years I've been able to figure out how to affect very tight patterns.

Not at first, though...not for a few years. *grumbles*