List of "best kits " in 48th scale

Hi folks

I thought it would be nice if we could also start a thread similiar to here where we list the best kit and manufacturer for all 48 scale a/c. The kits can be OOP too, and i realise "best" is subjective when it comes to deciding based on fit, detail, panel lines, etc but at least this will be a good starting point for those that are deciding on buying or building a particular model and want to know the best options available.

Well as im pretty new to modelling, i wont pretend to be an expert and add any names, but just thought id kick this off.

If you could list the aircraft ( + kit number if possible) and manufacturer each on a new line, and try not to duplicate entries or get involved in debates about which kit is better than another.

If you have more than one possible "best" kit just list them to.

Let's go!

Kevin

an most accurate listing of models is what I'm currently working on, for 48 scale I will do the samething it is not possible to keep an accurate listing if I get various scales to be edited. first I complete the 72 listing, when done in about three weeks time i hope to get the same listing or about and convert it to 48 scale after the given scales are done, than we have what we need and from there on it is much easier to keep it accurate. just wait creating an list, it involves an lot of work, and I have the time creating it and to keep it updated. :cheers:

My opinion

A-4 Skyhawk Hasegawa

A-6 Intruder Revell/Monogram

A-10A Revell/Monogram

AV-8B Revell/Monogram

B-1 Revell

EA-6B Prowler Revell/Monogram

F-4 Hasegawa

F-5 Revell/Monogram

F-20 Tigershark Revell/Monogram

F-14 Hasegawa

F-15A,B,C,D Hasagawa

F-15 E Revell/Monogram

F-16 A,B,C,D Hasegawa

F-18 Hasegawa

F-22 Italeri so far the only Raptor

F-111 Academy

F-117 Tamiya

MiG-25 Revell

MiG-29 Academy

Rafale Revell

SU-27 Academy

Tornado Italeri

Typhoon Revell/Monogram

Edited by dreammh

Some more to add to the list:

RA-5C - Trumpeter

A-6E/EA-6A - Revell

OA-4M - Monogram

AV-8A/Harrier GR.1 - Monogram

AV-8B - Hasegawa

Sea Harrier FRS.1 - Airfix (But Tamiya is also passable)

Sea Harrier FA.2 - Airfix

MiG-21PF/MF - Academy

MiG-23 - Esci/Italeri (only game in town)

AJ-37/JA-37 Viggen - Esci/Airfix

JAS39 Gripen - Italeri

BAe Hawk - Airfix

Alphajet - Heller (1/50)

Mirage F.1 - Italeri/Esci

Mitsubishi F-1/T-2 - Hasegawa

Jaguar - Airfix/Heller

Mirage IV - Heller

Mirage 2000 - Heller

Buccaneer - Airfix

Lightning - Airfix

Etendard/Super Etendard - Heller

SR-71 - Testors/Italeri

Su-22 - KP

Su-25 - Some say OEZ/KP, some say Monogram

Those that are the only game in town, but really cannot be recommended:

Kfir - Esci

MiG-27 - Esci/Hobby Craft

TA-4F/J - Fujimi (1/50)

Tamiya

Bf-109

P-47

Mosquito

He-219

G4M Betty

P-51

Me-262

M6A5 Seiran

Hasegawa

Bf-109

A6M Zero (any version)

Ju-87 (any version)

F-104

F-111

B5N

B7A2 Grace

F-16 (any version)

Dragon/Monogram

Do-217E-5

Monogram

F9F

F4U-5N

Bf-110G-2

Academy

CH-46

MH-53E

I'm sure there are more but those listed come to mind right away.

Jeff

My opinion:

F-14 (any version) Hasegawa.

F-18 (any version) Hasegawa.

F-16 (any version) Hasegwa.

A-7 (any version) Hasegawa.

F-15E Revell/Monogram.

F-15C/D Hasegawa.

F-104 Hasegawa.

F-4 (any version) Hasegawa.

F-117 Tamiya.

F-111 Academy.

F-102/106 Monogram.

MiG-29 Academy.

Su-27 Academy.

Su-25 Monogram.

MiG-21 Academy

A-10 Monogram.

Sea Harrier FA.2 Airfix.

Rafale Italeri.

EA-6B Monogram.

EE Lightning Airfix.

Concerning the Tornado, unfortunately Airfix and Italeri have both serious lacunae... Italeri kit is better than Airfix one, but his overall detail is very poor specially in the wheel bay & u/c legs.

regards,

Luca

I'm actually surprised. It seems like RM kicks butt with most 48 scalers. Wow. Now, if they'd only get rid of those damed raised panel lines on most of em.

I say they retool all their great models....only with engraved lines. Nothing else...just the panel lines.

Heck, I'd pay a few bucks more for that!

Paul

P-47 -Tamiya (Hasegawa VERY close second, cheaper too)

A/B-26C Invader -Revell-Monogram (OOP)

P-51 -Tamiya

F4F Wildcat -Tamiya

F4U Corsair -Tamiya

B-17 -Revell-Monogram

B-24 -Revell-Monogram (Revell AG)

B-26 Marauder -Revell AG

P-40 -Revell-Monogram (Yes, the old mold kit from the early 70's, but still the best 1/48 kit)

OP/Model Madness. Your suggestion is a good one, but why just list 1/48 jets to the same standard as the other list? It might be better to list "the best of 1/48 jets" instead of "the best of every example of 1/48 jets" otherwise what is the point in duplicating what the other thread already does?

IMHO..

There are many kits listed already that should NOT be considered "best". Many might be the ONLY example of the type in 1/48, but to call them BEST would be a huge exaggeration.

For example, until recently the Lindberg F-11 was the only example in that scale, but is a crude model at best. It is also easy to say that modern (within 10 years) Hasegawa or Tamiya kits would be the best for their subject matter.

It would probably be more helpful if a certain level of detail (mandatory scribed panels) or fit is present. I also suggest that each suggestion include a few points as to WHY it is the best, otherwise suggestions would basically equal SPAM and be of no quantitative help for new model builders such as yourself.

My list would include the following:

Revell/Monogram Rafale - arguably a "kit of the year"

Revell/Monogram F-15E - arguably a "kit of the year"

Revell/Monogram Eurofighter - arguably a "kit of the year"

Eduard Mirage IIIC - arguably a "kit of the year"

Monogram Su-25 Frogfoot - if only Monogram did scribed panels this sooner...

Esci/Italeri Mirage F-1 - an excellent example of scribed panel lines, it amazes me that many modern kits do such a terrible job of this.

Esci/Italeri MB 326 - see above

Heller Mirage 2000C (plus B and N) - glad to have ONE heller kit that is excellent...

Airfix/Grand Phoenix BAC Lightning - This is better than all other 1/48 Airfix kits, by far, the resin the the GP kit push this kit up to "kit of the year" standards.

Trumpeter Mig-15 (and UTI) - Better than Tamiya, and their 1/32 example is an abomination. Trumpeter ALWAYS seems to screws up the rivets on their kits, but for some reason it looks fine on Russian subject matter.

Frems MB 339 - their only kit so far..includes turned brass gun barrels!

Tamiya and Haseqawa kits that are less that 10 years old

Monogram has consistently done some of the best 1/48 jet fighters, the cold war aircraft are awesome, the detail in their kits is, IMHO, better than ALL other manufacturer's, and the kits are very well priced. BUT most use raised panel lines, the fit can be rough, and the decals very thick. Great kits, but fit and raised panel lines really ages the kits, they still are a good value however.

I hope this helps...

My opinion:

F-14 (any version) Hasegawa.

F-18 (any version) Hasegawa.

F-16 (any version) Hasegwa.

A-7 (any version) Hasegawa.

F-15E Revell/Monogram.

F-15C/D Hasegawa.

F-104 Hasegawa.

F-4 (any version) Hasegawa.

F-117 Tamiya.

F-111 Academy.

F-102/106 Monogram.

MiG-29 Academy.

Su-27 Academy.

Su-25 Monogram.

MiG-21 Academy

A-10 Monogram.

Sea Harrier FA.2 Airfix.

Rafale Italeri.

EA-6B Monogram.

EE Lightning Airfix.

Concerning the Tornado, unfortunately Airfix and Italeri have both serious lacunae... Italeri kit is better than Airfix one, but his overall detail is very poor specially in the wheel bay & u/c legs.

regards,

Luca

I would suggest Revell for that one!

Edited by BjornB17
  • 2 years later...

I'm using "kit maker that goes the extra mile on a special kit and makes you appreciate an airframe you wouldn't have otherwise have given the time of day to" as my criteria.

Eduard's BV.534 and Accurate Miniature's F3F kits. Both kits are odd-ball subjects and possitively drip with their manuacturers' lovingly off-the-wall interest in the subject. Both kits are easy, enjoyable builds. The fact that they're biplanes doesn't enter into the build equation.

Both of these kits make you feel like a better modeler than you really are. They're exceptional.

The TBF/TBM Avenger from Italeri. The accurate miniatures kit reboxed at half the price.

Eduard F6F series.

Tamiya P-51D

Tamiya F4U Corsairs

Edited by Alan