Two Battlestars in season 3

I remember reading in an interview with Ron Moore that ST:Voyager was originally going to have many of the same ideas as the new BSG. The ship was going to have all sorts of supply and repair problems as it tried to make its way back to Earth.

This is true and was so in the series to some extent.

But Star Trek being the sterile, lets sing kumbahyah enviroment that it became, a BSG type concept would not have worked well.

Oh, remember that the Voyager has replicators.

:unsure:

MikeJ

Couldn't agree more, I thought Enterprise was lame to me from the start. I much prefered DS9 with the dark and continuing story line. BSG takes that kind of story line and bumps it up a notch. Does anyone remember Space Above and Beyond? That was another awesome show that I think was ahead of its time.

Space: Above and Beyond was far to angsty for my taste, although it was not a bad show.

:unsure:

MikeJ

• 1 month later...

For what its worth, I thought Enterprise was a decent series, at least it was trying to flesh out the federation history and answer questions left unanswered in the previous series.

I also thought Space Above and beyond was a good series, but as usual, they cut it off. Thats the problem with Scifi programming. Its a small niche in a big TV world and our demands for high level story writing and effects are over written by cost concerns. Viewer share is everything and Sci fi has less viewers, so it gets the short end when it comes to programming. Lots more people watch idiot programs like Friends, Seinfeld and other crap. Look at the growth in "reality" programs.

Did anyone watch that series Surface? That one also had some interesting ideas in it. But it didn't fit mainstream pablum tv so it disappeared in one year.

Anyway, BSG is moving right along, and it has my attention. Its gritty, real dark in spots, but it grabs you by the guts and doesn't let go.

Sabre

I love BSG. I love the way the ships move via thrusters instead of the typical hollywood "just make it fly like its a plane..no one will notice".

Jumping the Glactica into the atmosphere was brilliant. Very well done.

Enterprise was not the best wasnt the worst. The whole attack on Earth thing was a "historical trek universe" disaster IMHO. This was never mentioned in any of the previous trek incarnations that I am aware of.

I liked DS9 for some of the sarcasm and character interaction. Some classic lines there.

• 3 weeks later...