Completed Entries Gallery

Airfix Arado Ar-196a3 - 1/72

Engines n things motor

Aeroclub MG-15 in aft cockpit

Mike Grant instrument decals

Aeroclub elastic rigging material

Scratch built interior

Model Master enamel paint

Except for a little frustration with the canopy it was a very fun build. I'm happy with it.

ar196starboardgf1.jpg

ar196portre7.jpg

ar196topoj2.jpg

ar196bottomqn1.jpg

ar196frontnh8.jpg

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
Airfix Arado Ar-196a3 - 1/72

Engines n things motor

Aeroclub MG-15 in aft cockpit

Mike Grant instrument decals

Aeroclub elastic rigging material

Scratch built interior

Model Master enamel paint

Except for a little frustration with the canopy it was a very fun build. I'm happy with it.

What a killer build!!

Superb!

Everyone is proviing the old kits with a little TLC can be made into excellent models.

:cheers:

MikeJ

• 2 weeks later...

OK

Here is a quick shot of my finished Heller Dewoitine D.510.

My normal photography location is hip deep in computer stuff currently and I cannot take better shots until it is cleared, which hopefully will be next weekend. I blame Christmas :D

So here is a less than perfect pic.

Once can see the horrid Heller decals in stark reality. I was completely confident that the sun bleaching had done the trick but as you can see, that confidence was completely misplaced. As a consequence, the kits end result falls far short of satisfactory for me.

I doubt that the kit is even worth a build review at this stage.

d510-01.jpg

:blink:

MikeJ

Here are some pictures of the completed Nationalist Chinese Dewoitine 510.

I actually had this finished a little before Christmas, but only recently did wife have time to take the pictures.

The final steps were small detailing bits: actuators for the ailerons, piping from the feul tanks in the wings, air-speed instrument, steps to the cockpit, sighting line, and of course the propellor and the wind-screen. I made the last from five thousandth clear sheet, using the kit piece as a template: the curve at the bottom is a wicked one.

5921 may have been the only Dewoitine 510 to actually shoot something down in combat: it was certainly the only Chinese example that did. Here is an account of the engagement, taken from Mr. Hakon's 'Biplane Aces of WWII' page:

On 4 November 1939 72 G3Ms (36 from the 13th Ku, 18 each from the Kisarazu and Kanoya Ku) attacked Chengtu in Sichuan Province in retaliation for a highly successful attack on the Hankow Huang-chia-tun Airfield on 14 October 1939. (DB-3 bombers flown by Soviet volunteers, who destroyed over 50 Japanese Army and Navy aircraft made this attack.) The G3Ms came over in two formations, each with 36 aircraft. Captain Okuda (nicknamed ‘King of the Bombers’), commander of the 13th Ku, led the first formation with all of the aircraft from 13th Ku.

The Chinese responded by sending two formations against the attackers. The first Japanese formation was heavily attacked by seven Dewoitine D510s of the 17th PS, led by Captain Shen Tse-Liu and seven I-15bis from the 27th PS led by Captain Hsie Chuan-Ho. The 27th PS first made contact with the 13th Ku about 4,000m over Fenghuang Shan. The Chinese Air Raid Warning Net had given ample warning and the Chinese fighters, equipped with oxygen and radio receivers in the lead aircraft, were able to climb and attack the Japanese from above. Diving down at 65 degrees from behind, the I-15bis concentrated on the leading flight of G3M's. After the initial pass, the I-15bis followed up with firing passes from the rear at the same level or slightly below. Then came the cannon armed D510. Captain Shen led his squadron in a level attack from the front. (Past experience had shown that when firing in a dive, the spring tension of the drum magazine in the Hispano HS-404 cannon was insufficient to feed the gun causing stoppages.) This time, under ideal conditions, Shen was able to make one devastating head-on pass on Okuda's G3M. Multiple hits by the deadly 20mm cannon set Okuda's G3M on fire at the right wing root. The fire then spread to the fuselage fuel tanks. The G3M then nosed over in a dive, which resulted in both wings snapping away. Shen and his squadron turned around to attack the Japanese formation form the rear. This was when the concentrated firepower of the G3Ms began to tell. Shen’s D510 No. 5921 was damaged and he made a forced landing in which he was injured. Another D510 (No. 5924 flown by Lieutenant Chen Kwei-min) was damaged in the fuel tank but managed to land safely. Three 27th PS I-15bis were slightly damaged. Another G3M was shot out of formation smoking heavily but was not seen to crash by the time the Chinese fighters retired.

The second Chinese formation was led by deputy group commander Wang Han-Hsun and included nine I-Lieutenant Teng Chung-Kai, now promoted to deputy squadron leader. They met the Kisarazu and Kanoya formation over Taiping-shi Airfield. Ma led the I-15bis in a vertical diving pass on the leading flight of the formation. After the initial pass, the I-15bis turned back to attack from below and behind. They were joined by two I-16's from the 26th PS, which had become separated from their formation. After the first two passes, the volume of return fire from the Japanese formation was seen to appreciably slacken. The lead ship from the Shotai to the right of the leading shotai was seen to catch fire and gradually descend below 15bis led by Captain Ma Kwok-Lim of the 29th PS and six I-16’s of the 26th PS. Included in Ma’s group were the formation. Teng in I-15bis No. 2903 was credited with hitting this aircraft and contributing to it falling out of formation. In a final firing pass from behind and below, the concentrated return fire from the Japanese formation hit Teng’s aircraft and he crashed to his death. Wang Han-Hsun in I-15bis “V-2†was wounded and made a forced landing. All but one of the other I-15bis were damaged and three more had to make forced landings (I-15bis nos. 2910, 2904, 2907). Both of the 26th PS I-16s were also shot up badly, one, No. 2609 crashed at Jintang, killing its pilot Lieutenant Tuan Wan-Yu and the other, No. 2604 force landed at Pengshang.

During the attack the Japanese dropped over 100 bombs on Fenghuang Shan Airfield. The second Japanese formation of 36 aircraft dropped over 200 bombs on Wenjiang Air Field. They destroyed one aircraft and two trainers on the ground.

After the battle, the Chinese found three wrecks and the bodies of Okuda and one of his Buntaicho. The Japanese, however, admitted to a total of 4 losses.

More on Capt. Shen Tse-Liu can be found there also:

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/china_tse-liu.htm

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

My completed Chipmunk. I have always thought that the RAF silver/yellow stripe trainer scheme looks attractive on any aeroplane, but the Chippie looks real cute in these colours.

223910499.jpg

peebeep