A.R.C. Tomcat Sunset Group Build Pictures!

Hey, anyone **COUGH COUGH Daren Roberts COUGH COUGH** thought of submitting photos or an article to Fine Scale Modeller??? they'd go for something like this, wouldn't they???

Now, this...THIS is a good idea. :worship:

Concerning a possible FSM article, it may be possible although the pictures might not be 100% ideal for their uses since the sunlight in the background was an uncontrollable factor. FSM tends to like the model shots to be artificial light only. Still, FSM isn't the ONLY mag we could submit these to. Aerospace Modeler is another possibility and they are currently looking for article submissions at this time. To do FSM, the best option might be to get a photo shoot of the cats when they go on display at the Virginia Beach regionals next month.

28-09-06

You could also appraoch Scale Aircraft Modelling ( www.guidelinepublications.co.uk),

Scale Avaition Modeller International (www.sampublications.com),

Model Aircraft Monthly (www.sampublications.com) or the newer mag,

Model Airplane Monthly (www.modelairplaneinternational.com).

I think any of them would be delighted to get pics of this event given the prestige involved.

Liam

Hey Darren-

How about a joint article between the 2 of us?

I'm not that great of a writer, and you could submit it to Fine Scale since you have an "in" with those guys already.

Give me a shout and let's work out the details!

What do ya say mate? You savey?

(Just trying out my pirate lingo..)

Yeah, great photos! I'm with Colin, that VF-302's awesome. Maybe there's minor flaws not visible in the photos that ended up costing it, but I really wish it'd won something... :(

Jay, can you post a pic of mine (VF-142)? Like to have a nice photo or two to remember it by. And the Grim Reaper looks very nice in a couple of the wide shots, so I'm looking forward to seeing a closer view of it, too...

Daniel

Hey guys,

Glad you liked my 302 build ....it was a lot of fun and work. There were definitely flaws that are not visible in the pics. I was glad to be building for "a purpose" instead of for myself :-)

Now I'm waiting for my order of Teknics cockpit and airframe sets and some Zotz decals so I can start up on my Tamiya Tomcat !!

Seeing all of those jets lined up on Saturday has given me some inspiration !

Scott T

Tower this is Ghostrider requesting a flyby.

Is that Italeri's 1/72 kit??

Academy's 1/48. First and last one I ever build. I've learned that when you want the Cadillac, go with Hasegawa. When you want the Chevy, go with R/M. The Academy kit just has too many flaws (for my taste, anyway)...

Daniel

Academy's 1/48. First and last one I ever build. I've learned that when you want the Cadillac, go with Hasegawa. When you want the Chevy, go with R/M. The Academy kit just has too many flaws (for my taste, anyway)...

Daniel

I think I'm with you there. Done two Academys, 17 yrs apart. No more.

I think I'm with you there. Done two Academys, 17 yrs apart. No more.

Well, after doing one Academy jet for the GB, I really enjoyed it. The nose rescribing was a bit of a pain initially, but after doing it and seeing how easy it was, I am willing to do it again. I will say though that I will probably limit my Academy builds to jets that have a dark painted canopy frame/anti glare shield since I think the nose rake problem is a little less pronounced as a result. It sticks out like a sore thumb on a TPS jet. The nose seams themselves also weren't really that much of a problem with my construction method and the use of Ambroid Proweld gave me a bit of wiggle room to pop things into place. The windscreen looks a lot better when the oversized front frame gets sanded down and remasked with a more accurate frame. The pylon gripes I didn't encounter, but knowing what to look for, I can overcome those easily as well.

If anything, masking and painting my jet (and the decal work) caused more headaches then building it did. I do plan to build more as a result. I'm just waiting for the Bombcat issue to come out since all I have left is one Academy jet and none of the shops locally (not even Hobby Lobby) have gotten anymore in for a little under a year.

NOW, I'm really Hoping that someone (insert decal manufacture here) now that the sunset is over and that the association has access to Former crews and Maintainers might want to release some of the hard to find or short lived paint schemes that found there ways on to the F-14. I bought the TOMCAT ALLEY book while at the Sunset and there are some amazing and interesting schemes that were done that I would love to recreate on a 1/72 or 1/48 bird.

I know we built 1/48 for the contest. How are the 1/72 Tomcats, would like to do something similar but couldn't afford building 30 Hasegawa Cats, and the time and money required to build Academy or Monogram and add aftermarket and rescribe all the panels, it would be the 30th anniversary of the Tomcat retirement before I'm done. I think the 1/72 option would be alot more cost effective, with my favorites still built in 1/48.

I really enjoyed this build, being my first ever and my first completed aircraft model in over 15 years, and me and my wife enjoyed meeting Brian and the Guys down at the Sunset. It will stay in my mind and heart forever. To see the skills and abilities you all have at building models was amazing. It only pushes me to learn and develop better skills to even match what you all have done.

Thanks to all who contributed and posted, I have learned alot.

Paul

I have a question about the Tomcat Alley book. Is it the same edition that goes up to 1998 in terms of individual Tomcat histories or did it get updated for Sunset? Reason I ask is I didn't pick one up at Sunset and I want to do so. Amazon has it for sale, but I want to make sure the copy they have is the same one that was for sale at Sunset. Thanks.

BTW PD, your 302 bird was nice. It goes to show that a well built Tomcat will look good, no matter what paintjob is applied to it. The choice of yellow for the intake and exhaust covers I also think was a good choice as it brought some nice color to your model.

As for me, I am now tempted to do all Tomcat squadrons myself. But, I think I will stick with 1/144 scale. Except for some of the 200 and 300 numbers, I think I can get pretty close with just what was released in kit form as Dragon did a few and LS covered three or four of the popular early schemes.

Edited by Jay Chladek
I have a question about the Tomcat Alley book. Is it the same edition that goes up to 1998 in terms of individual Tomcat histories or did it get updated for Sunset? Reason I ask is I didn't pick one up at Sunset and I want to do so. Amazon has it for sale, but I want to make sure the copy they have is the same one that was for sale at Sunset. Thanks.

I asked Dave Brown awhile back (maybe a year ago?) if he was going to do an updated version of "Tomcat Alley", taking it all the way thru to the end. He said yes, that's planned, but I'm pretty sure he said it would be 2007 or 2008 before it was released, so the copies around now should still be the one that goes thru '98...

Daniel

Actually Mine was the VF-32 STS-107, it turned out okay, I forgot some details in a hurry to get it finished by the deadline. I did learn to stick with Future and stay away from MM Clear or at least do 3 to 4 coats of it. My decals looked silver, I think becasue the Clear coat texture was gritty not smooth when I applied the decals, I asked Brian and he said it looked like it dried to quickly and maybe my airpressure was alittle to high. Yes the Book at the Sunset is the one that goes up to 1998, it still is an excellent book plus getting it authographed by the author helped my decision in a big way, I didn't know that there was that many different schemes out there and it's nice to see pictures of almost every F-14. I think only one is missed due to it crashed before anyone really had a chance to capture it.

BTW, even if the models don't appear in one of the magazines, I'm hoping someone will post pictures of them at the Nats it still would be awesome to see.

Edited by PDIXON316
Well, after doing one Academy jet for the GB, I really enjoyed it. The nose rescribing was a bit of a pain initially, but after doing it and seeing how easy it was, I am willing to do it again. I will say though that I will probably limit my Academy builds to jets that have a dark painted canopy frame/anti glare shield since I think the nose rake problem is a little less pronounced as a result. It sticks out like a sore thumb on a TPS jet. The nose seams themselves also weren't really that much of a problem with my construction method and the use of Ambroid Proweld gave me a bit of wiggle room to pop things into place. The windscreen looks a lot better when the oversized front frame gets sanded down and remasked with a more accurate frame. The pylon gripes I didn't encounter, but knowing what to look for, I can overcome those easily as well.

If anything, masking and painting my jet (and the decal work) caused more headaches then building it did. I do plan to build more as a result. I'm just waiting for the Bombcat issue to come out since all I have left is one Academy jet and none of the shops locally (not even Hobby Lobby) have gotten anymore in for a little under a year.

Well, you were lucky. The entire nose section on mine was warped, and complete fodder. Can't remember the last time I had to work so hard to get it fitting right. So bad I had to use sections of styrene since it was more than I wanted to do with CA filling or putty.

I had problems like that when I tried the academy cat. If the pieces having huges gaps, huge steps, and being warped wasnt bad enough, they dont even have alignment pins. That would have made it much easier. I had the gaps and steps almost taken care of when the bottom fuselage piece you glue on the nose snapped off and all the seams re opened. Never finished that kit, it ended up decorating the wall.

Edited by tomcatter727