I remember that cartoon geedub. Wasn't Muttley in that too? I have a Lloyd CV that also looks like something that flew out of that cartoon. That's going back a few more years than I care to remember..lol

Cheers

Mike

Yes Sir, that's the one :D Fresh from his escapades with Penelope Pitstop in "The Wacky Races", Dick Dastardly and his sidekick Muttley tried to Stop the Pigeon with a series of more and more outlandish aeroplane designs. I'm convinced that the catoonists must have been inspired by some of the earliest flying machines.

If you have pictures of the Lloyd CV I'd love to see them Mike. It sounds very interesting.

:D

• 1 month later...
the Spad A1/2 was a two man airplane that had the Observer tagging along in the gondola which was attached to the front of the airplane via the langing gear and a latch on top of a tall pylon behind him. The spinning prop was a mere 6 inches behind him, with a wire guard that ostensibly was meant to prevent the prop from becoming a meat grinder. Not many were built, as the whole concept was proven to be too ungainly and dangerous. Needless to say if the aircraft turned over on a rough landing, which happened fairly often, the Observer didn't stand a chance, and many accounts were written about Observers being flattened "flat as a pancake" in landing accidents. It's still a weird and odd looking airplane... just the type I like.

Cheers

Mike

And all they had to do was put a forward skid like the Avro trainer to protect him. :doh: