1/72 Monogram B-One

I am really afraid of screwing thing up here, both due to my relative skills in scratch building ...

Oh my god, you must be kidding me. lol. your work is absolutely amazing. great stuff, and very inspirational.

Jason

Edited by messy60

Thank you so much guys for the great feedback!

Not much has happened lately on this project. The little time I´ve spent modelling has gone on trying to finish my Scooter to finally add something to my collection.

I am waiting for some Evergreen stuff to be delivered to me, that I need to start working on the wings (lowering flaps and slats).

Among other stuff I am considering on this one, I am wondering how to open the escape hatches over the fwd cockpit. It implies cutting the clear part (which terrifies me! What if the clear breaks?...): what is the best way to cut clear parts?

Other than that, I have finished the bang seats, and the front panel, but not much to show.

/Kristian

I have been looking at these d@$* hatches and I cannot figure out how they should be...! :whistle:

In the following pictures you get a view of the clear Monogram part with the resin piece representing the switches and stuff placed on the ceiling of the fwd cockpit.

IMG_4669.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

The hatches should be cut out along the red lines in the next picture:

IMG_4667-Cut.jpg

As you can see the marked lines for the hatches would leave most of the instrument panel uncovered when they are open. Which really doesn´t seem to be right to me...

Another possibility would be that the center "slice" of the panel is attached to the spine between the hatches, while the left and right portions of the panel are attached to the hatches and thus the panel is split in three when opening the hatches.

So far, I have NO clues! If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE let me know!

/Kristian

• 1 month later...

And then it was time again for an update on these never-ending project...!

About one week ago I felt again a drive towards my Bone, and I decided to start working on the wings. The plan was to extend both flaps and slats, but I ended up cutting the spoilers too... B)

I would never have imagined that it would be this hard. I think I spend three whole sessions (about two-three hours each) on sanding and thinning. I never thought I would finish!

But here blow you can see how it looks like at the moment. As you can see only one wing has been modified, the other will have to wait. Now I´ll have to start filling the inside with all the reinforcements and tubings, plus adding the rods that extend/retract the TE flaps. Hopefully the LE slats will be easier... B)

General view of the "pieces":

Picture001-2.jpg

On the inside I added two longerons to strengthen the wing. Visible are also the guides for the flaps. They are still to be trimmed in length (if you wonder why they are of different lengths...).

Picture002-2.jpg

Finally a couple of pictures of the wing with the spoilers taped in place.

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Let me know what you think!

/Kristian

Edited by KRI76

If ever there was a kit that could drive you from modelling I think this would be it.I have built it twice and it is brutal.I cannot believe haw excellent of a job you are doing on this one ! Great work !!!!

Wow! Thanks guys for your compliments! They are a huge incitement for continuing! ;)

I haven't been able to do much during the week-end, so no new pictures. I am still working on the TE flaps and they are really killing me! No easy stuff to scratch build, specially in this scale. The plastic is always to thick, doesn't matter how much you thin it, so I am having a hard time fitting everything while keeping the proportions right. Hopefully the other wing won't be as hard, already knowing how to do everything.... :cheers:

/Kristian

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the compliments PapaSmurf630!

No, sadly no updates here. I have been trying other ideas for building a realistic and robust enough TE flap system, but so far with no success. My hopes now are relying on 2 "3D printers" that we have acquired at work that can print in ABS plastic or in a powder material.

I have created a CAD model of the rails the flaps hangs from and I will asap try to print them out. Maybe something good will pop out!

:thumbsup::coolio: :lol:

I'll keep you posted...

/Kristian

Thanks for the compliments PapaSmurf630!

No, sadly no updates here. I have been trying other ideas for building a realistic and robust enough TE flap system, but so far with no success. My hopes now are relying on 2 "3D printers" that we have acquired at work that can print in ABS plastic or in a powder material.

I have created a CAD model of the rails the flaps hangs from and I will asap try to print them out. Maybe something good will pop out!

:salute::crying::doh:

I'll keep you posted...

/Kristian

3D printers eh? Problem with rapid prototypers is the layering effect. I guess of course you could clean them up with a bit of filler and cast them in resin though. Were you thinking of applying the finished result directly to your model out of interest?

Jake, you're 100% correct.

I have done some tests and my hopes are to be able to use the parts straight away, with some cleaning and filling. On the ABS parts brushing acetone has a very positive effect: it melts the very surface smoothing everything nicely, thus reducing very mush the need for filling (still required though).

The powder printer needs the parts to be dipped in cyano-glue, which also helps smoothing the surface.

Anyway: both printers will require some filling and cleaning, but I hope to be able to use parts without further casting or such.

The biggest advantage I hope to get is to have a consistent thickness, precise alignment and controlled curvature of the tiny parts I need.

I hope to be able to show you some parts soon.

/Kristian

• 1 year later...

Hi richter111:

Thanks for asking, but no news to show. I've put much thinking work into the project. The TE flaps issue is still on top of my list. The one I've built so far doesn't satisfy me. I'm more and more worried that using a 3D printer will end up in a nightmare trying to cover the "texture" resulting from the layers of melted plastic strings.

As I said, I've created a 3D CAD model (very simple!) with which I can represent the flaps at whatever deployment angle. My top idea is to try to figure out the right angle, then from the CAD model obtain side views of each one of the flap supports that I will then print on paper in the correct scale and use to cut from plastic sheet identical copies on the two wings. But I won't be working on this beast for a while (even though it really screams at me every time I see the box on the shelf....!): I want to finish my Gripen and Starfighter first. I need some finished models to be added to my display cabinet!!!

/Kristian