1/72 Monogram B-One

If ever there was a kit that could drive you from modelling I think this would be it.I have built it twice and it is brutal.I cannot believe haw excellent of a job you are doing on this one ! Great work !!!!

I can't believe that so much time has passed since this project stalled...!

Aarzee seems to be quite right: the B-One has driven me from the workbench, even though I tried to keep myself in the game with other, simpler builds.

Well, after a long pause, I feel my fingers itching again. I will first of ALL finish my Gripen, then I should probably through decals on the Starfighter I have on the shelf.

But THEN it's B-One-time! I have decided that the trailing edge flaps need to be completely redone. The present solution is not robust or accurate enough. Especially I doubt I could manage to get the flaps on the other wing to have the same drop-angle...

I have a couple of ideas I'd like to try: we'll see how they go.

Since I WILL NOT DO another B-1 in a loooooooong time, what I'd like to do is add some ground equipment around the aircraft, to add some "action" and to clearly show her SIZE. A tow-tractor would be really nice, like the one in this picture, but I can't find much of references...Is there any kit to buy for the purpose, or can anyone give tips of references?

/Kristian

Formidable! :worship:

Indeed it would be great to have some ground gear to sit beside this monster; I hope one of our resin wizards comes up with a MHU in 1/72...

If you ain't seen it yet, here's some inspiration to kick on with the plane:

Meanwhile, on another part of ARC...

Hmmm, wonder if mine will look anything like these one day... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by ChippyWho
  • 1 year later...

Well, well, well...

It seams like decades since I worked on this project (on any project actually).

But a new 3D printing machine that should be on its way at work sprung my mojo again. From what I've seen in the test prints, this machine is supposed to have an amazing resolution. Since all my tentative to build convincing, robust and accurate (enough) flaps have all failed, I will now try to create a detailed 3D model and to print it. The flaps, rails and aft beam (the one to which I should attach the whole system) will be all in one piece, to maximize robustness.

Here is a screen-shot from what I've been doing so far. Most measures are based on my model, so I hope to be able to have a decent fit at the end. More modelling is still required, but then the printer has not arrived yet, so no hurry!

/Kristian

B1BFlaps01.jpg

Hi Laz,

thank you for the encouragement! I will let you know how it goes!

Clearly the CAD model I'm trying to do is a simplification of the reality since I need to take into account that details smaller than the printer's resolution would only be ignored or create problems. Moreover, it usually is a good measure to have minimum detail thicknesses that are multiples of the minimum layer thickness. All in all, at the moment I'm keeping 0.2 mm as minimum while awaiting for more details on the printer.

If this would work, I am thinking of many other parts that could be to some extent printed...

Let's hope for the best!

/Kristian

• 5 months later...

Well, I've been working some more on the CAD model for the trailing edge flaps.

I think the model is pretty much done. Maybe I'll add the actuator that pushes the flap in and out, but I'm not sure about it.

The 3D printer I'll use is arrived and I've seen some test prints: it's incredible what finish and minute details it can do!

Coming up next is testing to print this piece and see how it gets. One thing that I worry a little about is the fit in the wing...which is something I can't test/verify ahead of printing...

Here's anyway how the model is looking like:

FlapRH02b.jpg

/Kristian

Scaling up or down would not be of any problem. The only issue is how big the machine's printing volume is. I suspect that a 1/48 scale set could be too large.

I'll need to check that up.

/Kristian

• 1 month later...

Having just taken the plunge and purchased a Bone in 1/72 myself, thanks for the great thread so far. I'd gladly purchase a set of flaps from you once you get that far!

Cheers,

Hoops

• 7 months later...

It's been an awful long time since I posted anything on this thread, but here I am!

Today I got to see the first test print of my flap design. In the picture below you'll see the part covered in the printers fluid and hidden by many support columns.

20150320_095918.jpg

I spent some time checking the part and I think it looks really good. Next week I think I'll have the cleaned up part.

Let me know what you guys think!

/Kristian

Impressive work, Kris; congratulations! :thumbsup:

Found this piccy some years ago 'n' was quite stunned by the work the modeller put on it - much like ya're doin' on yers, I'd say. Neither know who the modeller was nor where I took this piccy from, but here it is.

RockwellB1-B.jpg

Cheers

Thanks Uncle Uncool: that is one impressive masterpiece!

I'd love to see more of that model, that's for sure.

Next week we'll try to print the left side flaps. We'll try some other settings and we'll position the flaps differently on the printing board to see if we get a better result.

Even though the flaps were covered in the printing fluid the level of detail looked pretty good to me. I'll post new pics after I'll have the part cleaned and dry.

/Kristian

Thanks Uncle Uncool: that is one impressive masterpiece!

I'd love to see more of that model, that's for sure.

Next week we'll try to print the left side flaps. We'll try some other settings and we'll position the flaps differently on the printing board to see if we get a better result.

Even though the flaps were covered in the printing fluid the level of detail looked pretty good to me. I'll post new pics after I'll have the part cleaned and dry.

/Kristian

Kristian,

I'd buy a set, or the printing file as well!!!!

Name your price!

Chris

Ok, some news.

Washing away the printing fluid is trickier than I thought.

It's done with isopropyl alcohol, but the problem is that the alcohol also softens the plastic. So one must be very gentle and careful.

I did some washing today, but after a while I decided to leave the part to dry properly before continuing to remove the fluid.

On the positive side, the print looks good, even though I want to orient the other side differently so that less supporting material and structures are necessary.

I'll post new pictures in a few days.

/Kristian

It's been an awful long time since I posted anything on this thread, but here I am!

Today I got to see the first test print of my flap design. In the picture below you'll see the part covered in the printers fluid and hidden by many support columns.

I spent some time checking the part and I think it looks really good. Next week I think I'll have the cleaned up part.

Let me know what you guys think!

/Kristian

Awesome!, are you using a Form1+?

Thanks Wasserfall. Yes, I think that's the name of the machine.

The other flaps are now in progress. I have placed them differently and have spent some time to customise the support structure pattern. It will be very interesting to see how it goes...

If possible I'll post some pictures in a few days.

/Kristian

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I have bad news about printed item number 1: it is not usable. :crying2:

The problem is that the "jungle" of support structure that the machine created automatically is too dense and attaches to the wrong places. I wasn't able to free the part without damaging the piece.

Since print number one we discovered that it was possible to customise 100% the supporting structure, so part number 2 should be ok. I hope a new right-side-flaps is printed and ready by Friday.

On the plus side, the washing with isopropyl alcohol was successful.

One issue is also that the plastic is quite brittle and it's relatively easy to break smaller details by handling.

Hopefully, I'll have pictures to share by Friday. Stay tuned!

/Kristian

Ok. Test-print #1 was scrapped. The support structure was way too intricate and impossible to remove.

Test-print #2 is better. Here below you see a general view and a detail picture to try to show the finish I can get from the printer.

It still need some washing to get rid of the printing fluid, but it's getting there. You can also see how much more "rational" the supporting material is placed. I paid attention to only connect the structure to points where the part is thicker, sturdier and less prone to break.

20150417_134858.jpg

20150417_134916.jpg

It will be extremely interesting to see how the part look like under a coat of primer, and how it fit in the Monogram wing.

If this goes well, I can see myself designing a lot more parts... :woot.gif:

/Kristian

• 1 month later...

Thank you Hoops!

Sadly "there is room for improvement"...

Once I learned how to customize the web of support structure I could get a part that I could separate without damaging the details.

However I notice that the finest details were here and there missing or damaged anyway. The reason for that is probably that the printer can't print too small details. I was careful when design the CAD part not to design any detail smaller than the printers layer thickness. However I need to modify the CAD model and increase the thickness of some details and make some other slightly bigger.

So, I will need to print new flaps soon...

Also: someone asked if I could also print 1/48 flaps. From a theoretical point of view that wouldn't be a problem, but the printer has an available printing volume that barely fit the 1/72 flaps, so to get 1/48 ones would require dividing them into 2 or 3 parts...Not impossible but certainly more complicated...

Stay tuned folks. Hopefully one day I'll get usable parts!

/Kristian