1/72 Monogram B-One

Hello everyone!

I have pulled out from the Heavies GB because I would never have managed to finish this beast in time, with all the scratch building and modifications involved. So I will move to the In-Progress forum and continue posting my progresses here.

If you´re interested to see what´s has been done so far you can check this link to the GB forum.

I have just completed the major building and plumbing of the fwd weapon bay. I´ll now need to paint everything and assemble it before the last details will go on. I have almost decided to scratch build the main landing gear bays too, because even though they usually aren´t opened on the ground, what is offered with the kit isn´t too satisfying. Let´s hope I don´t s***w them up! :D

Here you can see some pics of the bay before painting.

IMG_1427_resize.jpg

IMG_1430_resize.jpg

IMG_1432_resize.jpg

Let me know what you think!

/Kristian

Thanks guys for the (VERY) kind replays! :cheers:

I hope I´ll be able to meet the expectations...

To answer to RedHeadKevin's question: check the link in my post. There you can find a step-by-step description of how I made the retainers.

/Kristian

Here comes the update!

Thanks to jrallman my previous posts about this build have been moved from the GB forum to the In-Progress forum and can be found HERE.

I will anyway continue on this thread.

I moved on to another scratch building zone: the main landing gear bays. :woot.gif:

I am really afraid of screwing thing up here, both due to my relative skills in scratch building and to the importance of doing thing more then right here. Badly done or too weak bays would not be able to cope with this heavy plane. So here´s what I am planning to do.

IMG_1436_resize.jpg

I will cut out the areas marked in the picture above, being carefull not to touch the attachment for the MLG legs and their support struts. The wells proposed by Monogram are really not acceptable. They are to shallow, lacking too many details and moreover they would never give the impression of the huge size of the real wells.

So at the end of the scratch building I will be able to decide wether to keep the MLG doors closed to hide a not to successful scratch building attemp or to open also the doors in case I feel satisfied with the result.

So far I have been able to start on the bays roof and aft bulkhead. Lots of plumbing to come on the latter one...

IMG_1435_resize.jpg

/Kristian

• 2 weeks later...

Some update, but no pictures...

I have almost completed the main wheel wells "box", and will start hopefully tomorrow to add wires, tubes, and the rest of the details. Tonight I decided to go for the scratched wells, so I cut away the doors and checked the fit with the wells.

The fit´s good!!!! I think it will look great!

Maybe towards the end of the week I´ll have something to show...

/Kristian

P.S.: PapaSmurf630. It´s not my very first try at scratch building. I have for example cut flaps and slats on both my legacy Hornets and on my Super Hornet; I have added details to landing gears and wells on most of my previous models. But this is by far the most extended and heavy scratching I have ever done. Let´s hope it goes well!

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

...even if there isn´t that much to show, I'd like to proove to you that this project is still progressing, at VERY slow pace, but it is progressing.

I have started to add wires and tubes to the wells. If you look at the last picture you will notice a strip of plasticard added to the edge of wells. This has been done because following the panel lines when cutting out the doors I ended up with wheel wells that were not centered.... :whistle:

Let me know what you think of it so far.

The aft. bulk head

IMG_1516_resize.jpg

The same from a different angle, with the mid wall in place

IMG_1517_resize.jpg

An idea of how it will look like when in place in the B-One

IMG_1518_resize.jpg

/Kristian

• 3 months later...

After more than two months I have finally something new to show you! :yahoo:

I am about to complete the work on the main wheel wells. There are soo many tubes and wires that I will never be able to add them all, not in 72-scale at least, so I´ve decided that what I have now should be enough. In the pictures you´ll find here attached not everything is shown. Mainly all hydraulic pistons to retract the gears and close/open the doors aren´t shown, and nor are the tubes going to and coming from them. I have just placed a couple with some blue tac to give an idea.

Now I am working on the doors and will then start adding plumbings to the gears. There are some minors bits and pieces that will be added once the weels are painted and glued in place (so far they are kept in position with some tape...)

Here are the pictures:

Main gear weel looking back

IMG_2110_resize.jpg

Main weel looking fwd

IMG_2106_resize.jpg

IMG_2102_resize.jpg

IMG_2103_resize.jpg

IMG_2105_resize.jpg

That´s all for now. I hope to start painting in the next days...

/Kristian

• 4 weeks later...

After several weeks I have some updates to show that I hope you´ll find interesting!

The work on the different bays goes on, slowly but surely! I have started painting the main wheels' bay and the weapon bay and will start now to weather them with some washes.

I moved on also to the front gear to modify the support strut that in the kit represents the -A version. But then I started to notice more and more differences with the real thing, so I ended up redoing most of the front bay too! :)

But it´s fun! :(

I bought the FSM issue with the article by P. Boyer that - as Don has pointed out several times - is a very helpfull guide for upgrading the Bone.

Well, enough talking, here comes the pictures. Please let me know what you think!

IMG_2535_resize.jpg

IMG_2532_resize.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2533_resize.jpg

IMG_2534_resize.jpg

...more's coming...

Here's the front gear bay:

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2526_resize.jpg

IMG_2525_resize.jpg

I will now add hydraulic and electrical lines in the bay before putting some paint on it.

Finally a shot showing bits and pieces to be added: main landing gear doors, actuators and other small details.

IMG_2536_resize.jpg

Thanks for watching!

/Kristian