Hi Mikeew,nice build.I thought you might be interested in a bit of latest c130 information.J model C130's have started going through there first major inspections,and i have noticed that the grey paint has faded on some airframes to a very light (almost white under hanger lighting)grey.In places this has been touched up with fresh paint to give a very patch work appearance.Also to protect the belly skins when landing in rough areas,a rubbery type material is glued all along the bottom.This coating only comes in green,so you get a rather interesting colour scheme.By the way the grey paint never has adered well to the airframe and as the aircraft are rolled out after the major,they are being painted the same as the "K" fleet.....green.Hope you find this helpful....Neil

As far as I know, only one short J has got the 3M belly protection fitted so far. It does also come in grey but it is not the same grey as the paintwork.

The paint certainly does fade though, some are very much lighter than others, and some do have large areas of fresh touch up paint applied.

As yet, none of the shorts have gone back for major, they are all still grey.

Jen.

As far as I know, only one short J has got the 3M belly protection fitted so far. It does also come in grey but it is not the same grey as the paintwork.

Jen.

Jen is right. The belly protection we had on our (Danish) C-130Js was grey. If it's the same type there are small holes in it.

It is also worth noting that aerials etc. on the belly are usually protected with a length of garden hose sliced open and taped onto the leading edge. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Great work on your C-130,this build will help me on my ac-130u by amt.What would you guys say about the flightpath detail,the reg c-130 deatil set that is?I will also,hopefully get the engine set to.If the regular c-130 set wouldn't correctly give me some accurate detail,what set would?Thanks again great work and sorry for the thread hi-jack.

LB

Latest is ,the 3m coating is being extended up the sides of fuse adjacent to the props and to the rear of the para doors.We have been doing an awful lot of skin changes in these areas due to a,the prop wash(the "k's" dont seam to suffer this problem,i think it is due to the more powerful engines)and b,the para static lines battering the skin after the para troops have left(i assume).I have only seen green coatings so maybe the RAF got a stack of this colour knowing that eventualy the fleet will go green,who knows,i do know its a b*tch to get off.

Also i know its not connected but i had a nice suprise when i arived at work saturday ,11 alpha jets from the The Patrouille de France display team parked up for the night plus a Transall C-160 support aircraft.what a treat.Now,does any one do an alpha in 1/48?.

Edited by Neil C P
  • 1 month later...

Been a slight delay in proceedings with this build, back on track now. I got all seems filled and sanded and then primed only to find a couple more. Anyway, paint is on now and so is two coats of Klear ready for decalling.

(FYI I used Xtracrylix Air Mobility Command Grey overa slight preshade of the dirtier areas on the plane.)

207983264.jpg

Edited by Mikeew
  • 2 weeks later...

After careful consideration I decided to add the upper walkways lines by paiting them on rather than endure the frustration with long lenghts of decals that are on the kit sheet. Also the decals are too thick and would look odd IMHO.

So I took a couple of hours to mask up the correct walkways.........

Picture070.jpg

Then slapped some matt black on and voila! it looks good to me.

Picture071.jpg

Next I'm going to mask up the belly and add the green protective coating as seen here, this is the actual aircraft I'm making using the kit decals, ZH885, RAF.

1118088.jpg

Edited by Mikeew

Mike,

I know it's a bit late but you could have painted the black antenna on the l/e of the tail fin when painting the walkway lines (which look great btw). :cheers:

I believe the RAF use the same 3M coating on their C-130s as we have on our Danish ones (although ours is grey). Don't worry about any distinct lines made by the masking tape. The protective coating is a thick layer on the real thing as well. But how will you produce those tiny holes it has? :P

Regards,

Nice Job Mike!

The masked lines look great!

Did you have to fart around much to get everthing lined up and at the correct thickness for the lines?

Thanks Ray.

The lines were relatively easy, I used the kits painting and marking instructions as a guide and eyeballed it. Pretty easy really. The most challenging part was getting the lines symmetrical to each other accross the fuselage and wings, I used the panel lines as a guide.

Mike

Edited by Mikeew
Mike,

I know it's a bit late but you could have painted the black antenna on the l/e of the tail fin when painting the walkway lines (which look great btw). :cheers:

I believe the RAF use the same 3M coating on their C-130s as we have on our Danish ones (although ours is grey). Don't worry about any distinct lines made by the masking tape. The protective coating is a thick layer on the real thing as well. But how will you produce those tiny holes it has? :P

Regards,

Cheers Jens,

I will be adding the black antenna panel you refer to on the leading edge of the tail using paint rather than the kit supplied decals, this should be straight forward in comparison to the walkway lines!

You are correct about the underside, it is a protective rubber coating made by 3M, about those holes though - not sure they'd be seen in 1/72 :P

cheers,

Mike

Cheers Jens,

I will be adding the black antenna panel you refer to on the leading edge of the tail using paint rather than the kit supplied decals, this should be straight forward in comparison to the walkway lines!

You are correct about the underside, it is a protective rubber coating made by 3M, about those holes though - not sure they'd be seen in 1/72 ;)

cheers,

Mike

Mike and Jens,

The black panel at the base of the fin is actually a huge de-icing boot, not an antenna!

Just thought you would like to know :D