Eagles and Hornets intercept Bears off Alaska

http://www.alert5.com/2006/09/norad-interc...n-aircraft.html

Four F-15s from Elmendorf Air Force Base and two CF-18s from Cold Lake were launched on Thursday evening to intercept Russian Tu-95s off the Alaska coast.

The Bears had been participating in an annual Russian air force exercise near the coast of Alaska and Canada.

Two F-15s intercepted the planes by making visual contact and verifying their identity. The CF-18s did not intercept the Russian bombers.

The story made it to the national news here in Canada tonight. The Russians had said they were on an

exercise. When asked why this was still happening when we were supposed to be friends with the

Russians the reporter answered that it's all for Public Relations now. They're short of pilots and they're

trying to drum up some recruits with the excitement.

By scaring the **** out of NORAD????? :blink: Weird way to drum up public relations......but I don't thing the Eagle or Hornet drivers were complaining......nice to see some excitement while sitting on alert.

I doubt if they were 'skeered' in the slightest....the Russian operation was known. Maybe they went

off-course..but I'm sure at some level it was all staged. Just to keep the guys on their toes and to

rationalize the need for the system.

If the eagles weren't able to find them, then that would be an entirely different matter :D

Edited by ThatJeffGuy
Yep, many, many tankers were dispatched to keep the F-18's airborne. :cheers:

Just imagine if they had sent F-14's and then had to perform an enviromental impact study for the trail of hydraulic fluid left across the North American continent.

Regards,

Murph

The key to chasing away Bears has historically had little to do with airframes. Really, it's that you have to issue the radio/verbal warning in the best Texas Twang you can muster, a skill that ADC cultivated far beyond the rest of the Air Force and the Navy. Even flying from Maine or Michigan, you can't have a salty Yankee brogue, or a dairy-fed midwestern dialect when confronting Bear patrol aircraft. Hence, you warn the Bear that they are entering "YU-naated Staytes Ayerspayce" and further "va-alation" with be judged as "Hoss-taale inteyent."

You forgot Val Kilmer.

And you should have. :blink: After all, I didn't bring up Jamie Fox

For those attempting to master the ADC pilot's dialenct, note the similarity in accent: "The Deeymon leyived at Moch wunn ohn the Meter..." and "Gopher, Ev'ritt?"

Edited by Fishwelding
And you should have. :blink: After all, I didn't bring up Jamie Fox

For those attempting to master the ADC pilot's dialenct, note the similarity in accent: "The Deeymon leyived at Moch wunn ohn the Meter..." and "Gopher, Ev'ritt?"

Yeah but I didn't bring up ... um, whoever the snot nosed kid with the walkman in Iron Eagle was.

Yeah but I didn't bring up ... um, whoever the snot nosed kid with the walkman in Iron Eagle was.

A couple of years back a friend of mine concluded on calling him "Not-Ralph-Macchio." That's as far as we got in identifying him. Hence, in a sentance, "Louis Gosset Junior and Not-Ralph-Macchio were in Iron Eagle I." "Yes, but was Not-Ralph-Macchio in the second film?"

A couple of years back a friend of mine concluded on calling him "Not-Ralph-Macchio." That's as far as we got in identifying him. Hence, in a sentance, "Louis Gosset Junior and Not-Ralph-Macchio were in Iron Eagle I." "Yes, but was Not-Ralph-Macchio in the second film?"

Jason Gedrick was his name according to IMDB

Didn't he get blown up in the opening scene of Iron Eagle II by a "MiG," Israeli Phantom?

Just imagine if they had sent F-14's and then had to perform an enviromental impact study for the trail of hydraulic fluid left across the North American continent.

Regards,

Murph

Plus the s**t trail left by the russians when they saw the Tomcats! :blink:

Regards,

Murph

HAVE YOU NO HEART??? :D

It's worth noting that NORAD is in the midst of an exercise right now, as are the Russians so this intercept makes for an interesting "coincidence". Like Colin mentioned the CF do have an FOL at Inuvik but it's not normally manned.

Cool picture, though!

Cheers,

Sean