AMT AC-130U

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

BUMP....... :cheers:

Only 1hour 16mins! Be patient young grasshopper!

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/port...60s/ac-130u.htm

http://m2reviews.cnsi.net/reviews/mod/feyac130.htm

It has also been discussed a few times on here, so a search would be a wise idea.

I have the kit and overall it looks okay, but the canopy really lets it down in my opinion. No doubt others are better qualified to comment on exact inaccuracies etc.

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

OK,thats what I was looking for,but what does he mean by the tail fin is different on the H than the U?The kit looks fine to me.I am going to buy or trade for one but I need to get some detail sets for it.

LB

OK,thats what I was looking for,but what does he mean by the tail fin is different on the H than the U?The kit looks fine to me.I am going to buy or trade for one but I need to get some detail sets for it.

LB

Well it means the tail uni is different. As the photo below demostrates the shap has been modified to accomodate an ARC of electronic equipment (ECM?):

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0828876/L/

This modification is included in the AMT AC-130U kit but I think you may have to cut away the old section first, but don't quote me on that!

The kit itself is quite rare nowadays it seems, they do pop up on e-bay though. I am actually looking to sell mine, but postage to where you are would be abit prohibitive I'm guessing.

Keep us updated, I nearly bought Mandrakes U-Boat and just didn´t done so because a friend of mine needed money and so I bought the kit from him.

Don´t know when I´ll build it, though, the last ESCI Spectre (which is the basis kit for the "U") I built left a bad taste in my mouth, especially since it was about 3cm shorter than my Italeri C-130s and the wings were strangely shaped on the underside...

HAJO

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

GReat I will post pics as soon as I can get my hands on a kit.I really want one more than anyone knows.If you guys can find one hollar,cuase I need one,I am still thinking about yours Mandrake.

LB :D

All the kit is really is an Esci AC-130H kit with a new sprue thrown in for the U-specific guns... a VERY incomplete AC-130U. There are a large number of ECM bumps and other things specific to the U model that are nowhere to be found on the AMT kit (or the Italeri U-boat for that matter).

No accurate AC-130U kit exists out of the box, and must be modified. About the only things you can get even close to accurate are:

-AC-130A (Testors offers these in 1/72 and 1/48 scales... pretty accurate for a 'Pave Pronto" mod AC-130A)

-AC-130E (both Airfix and Esci produced kits that are labelled as AC-130H kits, but are closer to AC-130Es after the "Pave Aegis" program... the addition of the 105mm.)

Not only will you have to research AC-130 ECM/RWR upgrades (again, Google and airliners.net are your friend...), some of them are serial-number specific modifications. in a few cases, AC-130Us may not have the exact same antenna configuration across the airframe. The problem is insanely compounded if you decide to build an AC-130H Pave Spectre, as they have undergone quite a few modifications over the past 10 years.

Edited by Skull Leader