Starfighter kits

Hi

Thinking of buying the following:

Monogram - 1:48 - F-104 - STARFIGHTER - "TIGERMEET '91"

Monogram - 1:48 - F-104 C - "STARFIGHTER" (NAM Tour of Duty)

Lindberg 1/48 F-104C Starfighter

Any advice on the build and quality/detail of these kits?

Edited by model_madness

If these are your choices, go for the Monograms--Lindberg kit is much older and less detailed.

The Monogram kits date from the 80's and are typical Monogram of the period--pretty good detail and fit, but raised panel lines.

If you're just looking for nice shelf sitters for a reasonable price, the Monograms are fine, but the new Hasegawa Starfighter series are truly state of the art (and priced accordingly) with very fine detail, recessed panel lines and excellent fit.

One other thing about the Monogram kits. Plan on building them with the cockpit open. Most kits of that period ended up having a canopy fit problem when closing it up. I also have a Testors 104 but I don't know how good it is. Deffinately go for the Monogram over the Lindberg.

The Tigermeet bird is a G model. The parts trees between the Monogram C and G models are essentially identical except for the tail moldings and where the sidewinder rails go. They are nice kits. I do agree though that if you can afford one, the Hasegawa kits are state of the art now (not to mention they just issued a TF-104G in 1/48 as well and it looks NICE).