HH-47 CSAR-X in 1:72

Since stumbling over the artistic impressions of one of the possible CSAR-X Contenders, the HH-47, I fell in love with this helo. I already have the ARMY-equivalent of Italeri, the MH-47E, in my stash. So I decided to go for the Revell kit, since the RoG Pave Low left me with some really fantastic decals I´d like to use for this project.

The HH-47 is more or less fictional to date, but we can be sure that a lot of it´s ARMY 160th SOAR counterpart stuff, material and sensors will be used. I focused on the "fictional" thing, though, and made my own CSAR interior I´d like to show on the following pictures.

I´m not even near to a finished interior, at least some painting has to be done, not speaking of lots of other material and stuff I´d like to add, not even mentioning the 5 (!) weapon stations with guns and ammo that would come to action on the HH-47.

The left side so far: Not too much done, just some panels added to the ceiling to make the cargo-room look better.

HH47innen2.jpg

The right side is a bit more interesting, since I already glued the floor to this part and lots of scratched details are located here. As you can see also some panels here to prevent the viewer looking right into the rotor-housings.

HH47innen1.jpg

The rear part of the right side: I mounted fast-rope bars since I thought they would be useful even on a CSAR-helo. The bright orange thing is something JuanjoD already put into his Pave Low and that means it must be something really important... :cheers:

HH47innen4.jpg

The port aft weapon station, some seats in the foreground. Between the blue and red seats is the starport weapon station. I saw pictures of a MH-47E with additional M-240s in the rear windows, using the bulleye-window on the left side. I won´t copy that, since I think that the bulleye doesn´t provide enough space for proper weapons handling and ground monitoring. Instead I will place the gun at the bigger quadrant-window in front of the bulleye, like used on the old-style ACH-47As.

HH47innen5.jpg

The port weapon station for the minigun. Right of that a first-aid station. CSAR does not usually leave personnel or the rescued crew unharmed and so it´s a good thing to have at least some equipment to provide medical help.

HH47innen6.jpg

Next steps will be additional equipment and of course the 5 weapon stations. I will use the kits miniguns for the front stations and 0.50cal M2s at the three aft stations.

HAJO

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Would any of you know how to make a mh-47g guns a gogo version?I need to cut out the last window on the left and make it rectangular,any ideas,oh and sorry for the thread hi-jack.

LB

Now I´m close before mating the two halfs and used this last chance to take some pictures of the right half. Details like the Jungle Penetrator and ammo cans are added and of course the guns.

HH47innen7.jpg

HH47innen8.jpg

HH47innen9.jpg

I won´t be able to make more progrees until the weekend in two weeks, but can reply on any questions you might have during that time. :blink:

HAJO

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Great job,can't wait to see the final bird.Hajo.L,did you take the left side of the ach-47a kit or did you cut the window to a rectangle?Great work as ussual.

LB

Looking good! That orange bag in the aft cabin is a survival raft/kit.

Before you mate the fuselage halves, you ought to know that the HH-47 is proposed to have a wider front right door under the hoist and the lower part of the door removed with a plug snapped into place during flight. There will also be a fairing around the base of the refueling probe.

june_i_ids1.jpg

The reason for the removal of the lower door/step is to protect the hoist line. A few years back in South Korea the line on an HH-60G snapped after coming into contact with the corner of the cabin doorway/fuselage and a PJ was unfortunately killed. Since then, metal tubes have been installed on Pave Hawks to provide a round surface should the line come into contact with the airframe. The Hook's steps would cause the same problem.

Edited by Trigger74

Argh, I saw the picture but decided that it would do too much damage to my self-build interior if I´d remove the door and widen the whole thing. So I´m not very realistic atthis point of my HH-47. :banana:

HAJO

On the right side the window had to be cut out, on the left side the original kit would need a plate that "transforms" the window into a bulleye. I just left that away to get a proper place for the weapon station.

HAJO

You can see it here, right in the middle of the picture the aft weapon station is the place where normally the bulleye-conversion would take place.

HH47innen2.jpg

If you leave away that part you will get that additional rectangular window.

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I said I would paint it... I never mentioned I would take pictures afterwards... :)

Well, as you can guess, I took some pics, here they are:

HH-47bemalt2.jpg

HH-47bemalt1.jpg

HH-47bemalt3.jpg

As you can see I also painted some details like antennas and stuff. Unfortunately I won´t be able to do anything on the Chinook for the next two weeks. But that´s time enough to think about what colour the rotor blades should be painted. Any ideas?

HAJO