Ft Worth Alliance Airshow

Took the toddlers to the airshow. A mostly good day was had by all. The Thunderbirds' "sneak pass" was not appreciated by BAM, who thought it was "mean" and decided he didn't want to watch the rest of their performance. He did, however, spend almost an hour and a half afterward among the static displays, because those planes were "nice". Special thanks to Captains Matt and Frodo from the California Air National Guard - a couple of nice guys with a lot of encouraging attitude for a three year old who wanted to talk to the pilots, then chickened out when he actually got close.

OK, and now the pictures:

dcp_2903.jpg

California sent a half dozen or so Vipers to Ft Worth. The 301st in Ft Worth sent one.

dcp_2921.jpg

dcp_2922.jpg

The Germans came (from New Mexico):

dcp_2908.jpg

dcp_2907.jpg

Most of the warbirds were on the flightline, as they were involved in the Tora! Tora! Tora! demo (I had no idea Tex Hill and Don Blakeslee were at Pearl Harbor...but it was nice to see Cavanaugh's P-51 and AVG P-41 flying), but this one was mixed in among the modern fighters - a Sea Fury, I believe.

dcp_2910.jpg

And some more...I've just got a little 2.5 megapixel digital, but these shots of the Thunderbirds came out pretty well, all things considered...

dcp_2911.jpg

dcp_2915.jpg

BAM decided that his Grampy Rick was flying Thunderbird 6 at one point, and tried to wave. Speaking of Rick In Maine, here's the shot he's been waiting for:

dcp_2917.jpg

OK, more randomness...

Balls-8 was at the Texas Thunder airshow at Carswell, but I got another shot of her. What I neglected to get was a shot of the targeting pod she's sprouted under her right wing since then.

dcp_2923.jpg

Here's one for Ish the 47 Guy...

dcp_2919.jpg

Couple'a Kansas City Hawg shots

dcp_2906.jpg

dcp_2905.jpg

OK, one last shot. By this time, IVM was tuckered out and was, in fact, asleep in the stroller. I was just following BAM around the static displays, and he decided it was time to have his picture taken. Here, then, is my eldest. :D

dcp_2925_cropped.jpg

One more pic I forgot - B-25 "Special Delivery" was among the few warbirds parked in the static area.

dcp_2920.jpg

So was "Chuckie" the B-17, but the crowd was too thick for good photos there.

Oh yeah, and the Heritage Flight was excellent - the Viper demo was first, then the demo Viper hooked up with the F-15E demo bird and the P-47 "Tarheel Hal". Very nice.

Edited by BAM'n'IVM
As usual, the static planes become nothing more than shade umbrellas for the unwashed masses... it that true everywhere or just in Texas???

Oh, it's true everywhere. Whenever I go to an airshow, I walk around the statics, then find something with a wide wingspan to camp out under (usually B-52, C-17, -5, or -130). But by that time, I'm usually already extra-crispy...even after using sunscreen :thumbsup:.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123
Nice shots! As for aircraft being used as sun-shades....bugs the snot out of me....know how hard it is to take a photo with 40 people sitting underneath?! Saw that when I was in Minot this summer. Fortunately, here in Canada, we put up baricades around the aircraft (well, the air shows I attend anyways).....makes crowd control easier as well as photo ops.

You know what, Colin? I never thought of it that way...now I feel guilty about doing that and possibly ruining other people's pictures :thumbsup:. I'll remember that next time I go to a show.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to ask...what is that thing hanging from the underwing pylon of that first Viper?

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

The first viper was sporting a (and correct me if I'm wrong, oh better-informed ones) Sidewinder training round. Same size and weight, no motor or warhead. Or forward vanes.

As for the folks crowding under the aircraft, yeah, that seems to happen as a matter of course. Thankfully, with smaller crowds these days (and more frequent use of FOD covers), it's less risky for the aircraft. Using sunscreen and wearing a hat reduces the need for huddling miserably under a wing and cluttering up someone elses photography.

I still remember my first airshow back in '85, seeing a Coke can crammed into the rocket pod on an AH-1 and several folks had used tailpipes and jet intakes as trash cans. Haven't seen anything as outrageous since then. Usually at US airshows, only aircraft that are still considered "top secret" are roped off - most others are touchably close. Kinda nice, really - at the Texas Thunder airshow this spring, my older son insisted on petting every helicopter on the nose as if they were puppies. Couldn't do that if they were roped off.

I don't think I've ever been to a show in the UK that doesn't have barricades up...

That looks really cool being able to get that close.

I'm surprised people don't take more time to shoot shots up in the wheel bays etc to get all the hidden bits!

Some do. I don't get to get all the detail shots I want mostly because I'm pushing the kids around most of the time - hence my failure to get a shot of the targeting pod on the BUFF.