Hunt for Red October Question

No, not a stupid question.

If you mean the footage of it at the surface, it's a mockup...in the opening sequence you can see just at the waterline where it ends. Kinda disappointing, really, if you know what to look for, but otherwise a really good representation!

It couldn't be a real Typhoon as it was filmed while the Cold War was still going, although nearly done. And since it was released in 1990, it really predated CGI as we know it.

Anybody happen to know if that is a real Typhoon, or if it was just a mock up or even CGI?

okay, I admit, it may be a stupid question, but I just gotta know.

Norm,

Well they certainly didn't use a real Typhoon, Hollywood's access to Soviet SSBNs was quite limited during the Cold War, albeit in its closing stages at the time.

However if memory serves me correct.....

Most of the shots feature one of several scale models but a (partial?) mock up of the upper deck was constructed for a couple of scences (the opening scene and evacuation). CGI was only just coming into play at the time of filming and was only used to add some of the effects/distortions in the underwater scenes.

Obvious the sub in the film is a fictional version of the Typhoon, featuring changes to accomodate the catapillar drive. Also due to lack of information available the whole stern area is quite wrong for a Typhoon anyway with the whole beavertail approach!

If you are really interested I recommend the Special Collectors Edition DVD which features some of the details of filming the exterior scenes.

Now modelling Red October or the Typhoon Class is another story.......though one I'm very happy to discuss!

HTH

Edited by Mandrake

I thought that I remembered a story about an accident during the film where they used a real sub made up with a fake shell. As the story goes one day after shooting the sub went under water they made the discovery that someone forgot to untie the tether that hooked it to a small tug and the sub pulled it down enough to swamp and eventually sink the tug.

I thought that I remembered a story about an accident during the film where they used a real sub made up with a fake shell. As the story goes one day after shooting the sub went under water they made the discovery that someone forgot to untie the tether that hooked it to a small tug and the sub pulled it down enough to swamp and eventually sink the tug.

:blink:

Have my doubts about that story. What I do know though is that the mock up upper deck could be partially submerged for the evacuation scene using a system of pumps. However this system was abit of an unknown quantity and in one take it dived a bit quicker than the crew could react leading to some very expensive cameras being sent to the bottom of the ocean!

According to IMDB the USS Houston was used as a stand-in for the Dallas, and at one point accidentally pulled a tug under, drowning one of its crewmembers.

A curious and of course tragic story. I understand it caught the tow between the tub and the barge when it was preparing for a shot. Bit confused what shot though as the incident took place off Long Beach, CA. The only scene I recall of any real external footage (archive footage aside) of the 688 was the transfer of Ryan to the sub, but I know this was filmed at Puget Sound, WA.

Not CGI, that was later.

The Red October is a Modified Typhoon Class submarine, (it has the Hull of a Typhoon and the Dorsal fin of a Victor or certain Akula class SUb ).

AFAIK they were models

Take Care

Edited by MaRiO FDZ
Not CGI, that was later.

The Red October is a Modified Typhoon Class submarine, (it has the Hull of a Typhoon and the Dorsal fin of a Victor or certain Akula class SUb ).

AFAIK they were models

Take Care

Yep, really really BIG models. 1:1 scale for the live shots:D

The accent however was very much his own!

Quite why the Soviet Navy never figured a Scottish Captain might defect to the West do not know :P

My view at the time was that a special Oscar award should have been given for the most godawful rendition of a foreign language by an actor playing a character supposed to be a fluent and/or native speaker.

(Ian Bannen's rendition of Jim Prideaux speaking Czech in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" would also be right up there.)

For all its many faults, "2010" did much better: with the exception of Helen Mirren they got actual Russian-American actors to play the Russian crew.

My view at the time was that a special Oscar award should have been given for the most godawful rendition of a foreign language by an actor playing a character supposed to be a fluent and/or native speaker.

But Connery is always Connery, and his accent is always his own. Kinda like when John Wayne played Genghis Khan in The Conqueror.

:blinks: Good God...I missed that one...:D

Rather entertaining movie, really - the Duke with a sword is a sight to behold. Unfortunately, that part of the Nevada desert they filmed in as a stand-in for Mongolia had been used for nuclear tests a few years earlier, and almost everyone involved in the production died of cancer over the next couple of decades, including John Wayne. It's worth a rental for a fun Saturday afternoon's viewing.

Well...when you put it like that....:D

Hmm...probably should've started a new paragraph. That isn't why it's a fun rental. It's a cool movie without being a "great" movie...Kinda like sitting down for a good Johnny Weismuller Tarzan movie or a Godzilla vs (Your Monster Here) movie.

Edited by BAM'n'IVM

05-10-06

Actually, Christian Slater didn't even attempt an accent in Prince of Theives.

Worse accent of all time??

My vote goes to Tom Cruise in "Far and Away" which might have been more enjoyable had it not been for his atrocious Oirish accent. It's actually hurt to listen to him.

Next worse would be Kenau Reeves' English accent in Dracula....he went ot Oxford, England to "learn" the accent properly. Guess he had ear-phones on at the time.

Best attempt at an accent: Cate Blanchett in the Veronica Guerin movie...superb and natural.

Liam